• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Complete Market-Garden Campaign by Bob Riconda
09-23-2008, 04:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2010, 07:46 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Complete Market-Garden Campaign by Bob Riconda
The Complete Market-Garden Campaign

Large scenario 102 Turns, Designer Bob Riconda

Download Scenario Files

Any comments you would like to leave about this scenario can be posted in this thread.
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2010, 07:44 AM,
RE: Complete Market-Garden Campaign by Bob Riconda
*Updated July 10, files in post #1 replaced with the latest versions*

OVERVIEW: This alternative campaign game provides players with the complete battlefield. As a result, the neighboring British Army Corps and German units are included in the OOB. In the recent decade new research has shed new light on the German OOB so one will notice a large number of changes to reflect this and present a more accurate portrayal of the German Army. Players can choose to play the historical campaign or use the strategy options to experiment with hypothetical situations. Allied strategies exist for all three airborne divisions' DZs, the 52nd Lowland Division, and the possibility of the 6th Airborne Davison as a last reinforcement. German strategies include the 9th & 116th Panzer Divisions which were offered to II SS Corps Commander, General Bittrich, but refused (both did arrive October 1st), the 108th Panzer Brigade (which was later absorbed into the 116th Panzer Div), the 190th Static Div, and additional small forces, remnants, and stragglers. Options are provided to allow the Germans to decide where to send these and other forces. There are VP costs for some options chosen (see included playing notes document).

RULES:
1. Both sides should not do anything on the 1st turn except to select strategies.
2. Use explicit supply.
3. Intended for human opponents.

DESIGN NOTES:
1. The OOB of the SS Panzer Divisions has been slightly altered to show some KG organization.
2. Some German armor units which were merged into infantry units in the stock OOB have been given their own units.
3. The German OOB for the west flank is sketchy since the army was in disarray from the cross-France retreat. Remnants from various divisions were merged under one KG to illustrate that disarray.
4. Additional German units were added that were excluded from the stock OOB. For example: 347 FEB & 1/732 Gr.Rgt were added to KG Rink; FJ Pioneer Sturm Rgt 1 & Werfer Abt to II FJ Korps/Korps Feldt; 424 Flak Abt to 15th Army; 59th Div increased in strength to match the commnding offiicer's AAR. Also, see note #12.
5. Small German straggler units were spread across the map to give the feel of small groups of Germans troops threatening the highway.
6. A couple Tigers were added to KG Knaust; evidence for them is contradictory, but eyewitness accts and Bittrich's own AAR indicate their arrival. In particular it is evident that the Tigers of the Hummel Company did arrive earlier.
7. New German & Allied Divisions were added in the Strategy Options below.
8. Some graphic files are needed for new units. The graphic files included should be copied into the folders indicated; if any are still missing you can contact Rev Rico ([email protected]) for them.
9. Morale for FJR 6 & FJR Hoffman raised to A & C resp...
10. Morale for British flanking divisions is low because they were tired and sluggish on the offense. Explicit Supply is mandatory so these units are not used too liberally. Historically there wasn't enough supplies to support a three Corps offensive. For example, trucks from the 3rd ID were cannibalized to rush supplies to 30th Corps. Though they joined the offensive on the 18th their effectiveness was very limited due to lack of supplies; for play balance they are FIXED for the first few days. There is a artillery spotter unit given 30th Corps so 8 Corps artillery can assist in the opening attack as they did historically.
11. Command radius for the units of the flanking Corps has been reduced to keep them from running all over the map. Players should not re-attach these units to other corps.
12. The OOB of the Korps Feldt/II FJ Korps have been extensively revised due to new research. Some changes also made to other German commands as new information surfaces. References are available for those who really want to know.
13. The Princess Irene Bgd was changed from vehicles to men as it was historically and to better equip it for its historical usage.
14. In some cases units begin below strength to allow for replenishment throughout the CG.
15. In order to keep the 101st Airborne Div from venturing too far away from the corridor, they are fixed at night and small German units may enter along the western board edge with wide protection zones.
16. KG Grabner sets up on the map with a small chance of releasing early. This allows the possibility of that unit performing as they did historically and reaching Nijmegen.
17. Some combat values have been changed to reflect the designer’s prejudice, um, errr, perspective. ;)

ALLIED STRATEGY OPTIONS
Note the VP cost for some of these. At the end of the game, make the appropriate change to determine victory levels.

1st Airborne Division
Wofheze = Drop zone 8 miles west of Arnhem (historical).
Deelen = Initial & follow up drops at Deelen Airfield. The airfield was avoided because of reports pf 100+ flak guns defending it. In reality those guns and been moved beforehand.
Arnhem Heist = Initial & follow up drops on both sides of Arnhem road bridge. Supposedly the soft ground south of the bridge would prevent gliders from landing, but the area east was fine except the pilots would have to pass over Deelen airfield to return to England and they feared flak. (-1000 VP cost)
Split DZ = Initial drop of gliders at Wolfheze DZ, while paras near Arnhem road bridge; follow up drop east of Arnhem. This is a compromise that drops the paras at the bridge and gliders in the flat fields west. (-1000 VP cost)
Velp = Initial & follow up drop east and NE of Arnhem. This option assumes the Allies knew that the Deelen flak had been moved and were not afraid to pass by on the return trip. (-1000 VP cost)

82nd Airborne Division
Nijmegen Coup = Initial drop on both sides of Nijmegen bridges, none near Grossbeek, follow up south of Nijmegen. Allied commanders were skittish about German forces coming from the Reichswald so they wanted to secure the high ground first; this option makes the bridges the #1 priority.(-750 VP Cost)
Priority Grossbeek = Historical drop which emphasized capturing the high ground and main DZ east of Nijmegen.
Long Green Line = A more spread out initial drop to assure quick capture of all bridges; main DZ for follow up drops south of Nijmegen. This option goes further assuming the Germans are weak and spreads out the 82nd to capture more bridges quicker. (-300 VP Cost)

101st Airborne Division
Historical = enough said
Early Eindhoven = 506th Rgt drops south of canal to capture Eindhoven earlier than historical. (-200 VP Cost)

52nd Lowland Div (-1000 VP Cost)
Deelen = Reinforcing division lands at Deelen airfield NW of Arnhem.
Grave = Reinforcing division lands at Grave airfield NW of Grave on island.
Son = Reinforcing division lands at airfield NW of Son.
Stay in England = not used (no cost)

Polish Para Bgd
Deelen = Lands at Deelen airfield.
Elst = Lands in middle of the "Island" between Arnhem & Nijmegen.
Arnhem = Lands east of Arnhem
Grave = Lands NE of Grave.
Driel = Historical drop south of Rhine near destroyed Driel ferry.

6th Airborne Div (-1000 VP Cost)
Deelen = Reinforcing division lands at Deelen airfield NW of Arnhem.
Road to Berlin = Lands NE of Arnhem near Rheden to support drive from Arnhem bridgehead NE into Northern Germany.
Road to Ruhr = Lands east of Arnhem near Zevenar to support drive from Arnhem bridgehead eastward to Ruhr industrial area.
Stay in England = not used (no cost)

Allied Supply Head
Adds an explicit supply depot near the selected location

GERMAN STRATEGY OPTIONS
Note the VP cost for some of these. At the end of the game, make the appropriate change to determine victory levels.

Sturm Engineers
Deelen Fly In = Historically this unit was flown into Deelen airfield at night.
Arnhem Ground Transport = Assuming the Allies have captured Deelen, tis unit would land at a nearby field and be trucked in.

KG Chill
These options allow the Germans flexibility on where they will make their counterattack.
Best = Southern portion of road near Best.
Veghel = Middle portion fo the road near Veghel.
Uden = Upper portion of the road near Uden.

363 VGD (+500 VP Cost)
These options bring in the 363 VGD a few days earlier than historically where needed.
Reichswald = The division crosses the Rhine in the Ruhr area east of the map and enters in the Nijmegen area.
Arnhem = The division reinforces the II SS Pz Corps in holding or retaking Arnhem.

506 Tiger Btl
Arnhem = Arrives as it did historically.
Reichswald = Arrives east of Nijmegen to support II FJ Korps.
Venlo = Arrives on south east edge to support XII SS Korps and the defense of the flank along the corridor.

Army Panzers (+1000 VP Cost)
New units which arrived in October are available earlier (9 PzD, 116 PzD, and 108 PzBgd)
North of Rhine = According to some sources the commander of the II SS Pz Korps was offered both the 9th & 116th Pz Div to retake Arnhem, but he refused and they kept fighting near Aachen. They did take part in the Island fighting of October. This option assumes he accepts the offer and has them arrive earlier along with the 108th PzBgd which was eventually absorbed into the 116th Pz.
South of Rhine = Rather than swing around the Rhine, they go directly from Aachen to the area between Nijmegen & Venraji.

Coastal Reserves
North of Rhine = Late arriving reinforcements for Div Tettau arrive as they did historically.
South of Waal = Late arriving reinforcements for Div Tettau cross ferries west of the map and arrive south of Waal to counterattack the highway.
07-13-2010, 05:44 PM,
Will you include some american AB divisions like the 17th for example?
07-13-2010, 08:56 PM,
(07-13-2010, 05:44 PM)P.Ako Wrote: Will you include some american AB divisions like the 17th for example?

No, those I included were actual historical possibilities. The 17th was not quite ready yet. As it was it showed up late in the Battle of the Bulge.
07-14-2010, 12:12 AM,
(07-13-2010, 08:56 PM)Rev Rico Wrote:
(07-13-2010, 05:44 PM)P.Ako Wrote: Will you include some american AB divisions like the 17th for example?

No, those I included were actual historical possibilities. The 17th was not quite ready yet. As it was it showed up late in the Battle of the Bulge.

Have you been inspired by Cornelius Ryan's book A Bridge too Far haven't you? I think it's time to re read it.
07-17-2010, 06:14 PM,
I've downloaded your mod and took a look at the OOB and noticed that there's the Belgian brigade, however they are using the British nationality. Will you put them into "belgian" nationality??. It's always fun to have various nationality.

BTW if you need help to make graphics for any units just tell me ok?
07-20-2010, 01:03 AM,
I am currently playing your mod and it is really good, the strategic options give the player more flexibility and the game more replay value. Congratulations and thaks for your work!
07-29-2010, 09:01 PM,
I received MG for birthday and played your mod (i really enjoyed it, in fact i bought also Sealion 40). However i noticed many issues like the already commented Belgian one or some icons, that's why i worked a bit modyfing a copy of the OOB and scn files, which is incomplete because i don't know if you're interested or i have your permission to modify the OOB file that you created.

BTW in these files the 2nd House Cavalry is missing because i'm currently working on it.

Attached Files
.zip   Belgs & some Brits.zip (Size: 344.42 KB / Downloads: 9)
08-13-2010, 11:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2010, 12:17 AM by Rev Rico.)
(07-29-2010, 09:01 PM)P.Ako Wrote: I received MG for birthday and played your mod (i really enjoyed it, in fact i bought also Sealion 40). However i noticed many issues like the already commented Belgian one or some icons, that's why i worked a bit modyfing a copy of the OOB and scn files, which is incomplete because i don't know if you're interested or i have your permission to modify the OOB file that you created.

BTW in these files the 2nd House Cavalry is missing because i'm currently working on it.

Let me take a look at what you've done.

Bob
(08-13-2010, 11:49 PM)Rev Rico Wrote:
(07-29-2010, 09:01 PM)P.Ako Wrote: I received MG for birthday and played your mod (i really enjoyed it, in fact i bought also Sealion 40). However i noticed many issues like the already commented Belgian one or some icons, that's why i worked a bit modyfing a copy of the OOB and scn files, which is incomplete because i don't know if you're interested or i have your permission to modify the OOB file that you created.

Let me take a look at what you've done.

Bob

I liked what you did with the Belgian OOB. I focused most of my time on researching the German OOB so I missed out on making sure the Belgians were accurate. One question I do have is the inf btl strength - how did you arrive at their manpower?

Thanks for the HQ artwork. I had neither the time or skill to create those.

Other artwork is nice but optional for me.

As for adding a nationality, I didn't take the time to do so. I did it in my France 40 mod involving a battle in the race across France in 44. Too much effort to redo and re-post; you can add to your own and enjoy.

Bob
08-14-2010, 02:39 AM,
(08-13-2010, 11:49 PM)Rev Rico Wrote: I liked what you did with the Belgian OOB. I focused most of my time on researching the German OOB so I missed out on making sure the Belgians were accurate. One question I do have is the inf btl strength - how did you arrive at their manpower?

Thanks for the HQ artwork. I had neither the time or skill to create those.

Other artwork is nice but optional for me.

As for adding a nationality, I didn't take the time to do so. I did it in my France 40 mod involving a battle in the race across France in 44. Too much effort to redo and re-post; you can add to your own and enjoy.

Bob

Thanks!.

I researched around internet about the "brigade Piron" and found some interesting webs like this one:

http://www.brigade-piron.be/Accueil_en.htm

or this:

http://www.be4046.eu/BE_UK.htm

and about the manpower, i took the info on various fonts, but mainly from the Steel Panzers WW2 encyclopedia.