• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scenario Design Question
09-19-2008, 04:37 AM,
Scenario Design Question
Scenario Design Question:
Is there any way to give units more than their normal streagth that is set in the OOB. Say I wanted a 31 tank Bn to start a scenario with 36 tanks, but after it lost those extra tanks, it would only get replacements based on the 31 tanks set in the OOB?
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2008, 04:42 AM,
RE: Scenario Design Question
From my experience i would say NO. U can start one below strength but not above.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
09-19-2008, 05:24 AM,
Actually there are 2 ways of doing it. The "easy" way is to boost the OOB strength to where you want the unit, add the unit to the scenario, then change the OOB down. The scenario strength won't change unless you remove the unit and add it back, thus resetting the strength to the current OOB amount.

The second way is to open the scenario file, after adding in the unit, in notepad or wordpad or someother text editor. You then need to find the unit - which requires the unit id from the OOB OR knowledge about the scenario file structure where you can find the unit by its X,Y coords, and then change the number that is the strength for that entry. This is really easy to do if you know the scenario file structure, otherwise go with the other method.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-19-2008, 11:22 AM,
Actually Rick - neither of these will work. The OOB contains the max value the unit can have. If you decrease the unit strength in the OOB AFTER the unit is placed on the map - then the units are drecreased in the Scn file.

If you open the Scn file and text edit it - the result is again changed when the Scn file is opened and the value in the Scn is compared to the OOB.

...so there is no way to have a unit in the game which starts at a level greater than the OOB max strength and no way to prevent a unit from building its strength back to the max value in the OOB.

G
Send this user an email
09-19-2008, 11:23 AM,
Thanks tazaaron and Ricky B for the responses. I will try your suggestions Rick.
09-19-2008, 12:53 PM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Actually Rick - neither of these will work. The OOB contains the max value the unit can have. If you decrease the unit strength in the OOB AFTER the unit is placed on the map - then the units are drecreased in the Scn file.

If you open the Scn file and text edit it - the result is again changed when the Scn file is opened and the value in the Scn is compared to the OOB.

...so there is no way to have a unit in the game which starts at a level greater than the OOB max strength and no way to prevent a unit from building its strength back to the max value in the OOB.

G

Thanks for correcting that Glenn! I had never tried it but I sure swore I saw someone create a new scenario that had over strength units, don't recall what game though, just seemed like a few years ago. Anyway, sorry to waste your time with it Zemke!

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-19-2008, 02:58 PM,
Ya Rick - this is one of the rubs we have to deal with in making a game. It is really easy to adjust a strong unit, making it weaker in the OOB and then having that reflect in all the Game scns. On the flip side however, if you want to increase the strength of the unit and you do that inthe OOB, you have to game back into the Scn - each and every scn, find that unit and correct the strength back up. That isn't so bad when the unit is on the map, but much harder when there are many units, many scns and units in the reinforcements list.

Glenn
Send this user an email
09-20-2008, 04:09 AM,
Ive got that increasing strength down to an art form, it was a pain the first time i did it though.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
09-20-2008, 01:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2008, 01:43 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
tazaaron Wrote:Ive got that increasing strength down to an art form, it was a pain the first time i did it though.

Art it may be, but I think the point is, it still has to be done for every unit in Scn file regardless if it is on the map or not. So the more units involved, the more work it is.

I think the best practice is to not do it all.
If you go to place units on the map and are not sure if they are stronger, make them stronger at start as the reduction of strength takes less time than I've spent on this post.

AND

once you increase them, there is no way to prevent or cap the units at a replacement level that is less than 100% which is the real point of the question I think.

Glenn
Send this user an email