• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Quick and Dirty Planning Maps
09-05-2008, 02:34 PM,
Quick and Dirty Planning Maps

Here are some instructions for creating your own planning maps using nothing but stock programs that come with the Windows operating system. These planning maps are not designed for printing, but rather for on-line use while playing Pzc games. It is possible to print these maps, but one must tinker with the files so that they will fit on the printed page. I argue that printing is not necessary. These instructions are in text. If there is enough interest, I'll make a demo similar to https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=43423. This is really meant for persons who are not too familiar with Windows and computing.

Open the following programs.
1. A HPSSIMS game of your favourite battle.
2. WordPad. "Start->programs->Accessories->WordPad"
3. Paint. "Start->programs->Accessories->Paint"

Common Key Strokes
1. Alt-PrtScr - Copies the current window into your clip-board
2. Ctrl-A - Select everything in the current window.
3. Ctrl-C - Copies everything selected and puts it in the clip-board
4. Ctrl-X - Cuts everything selected and puts it in the clip-board
5. Ctrl-V - Pastes everything in the current window.
6. Alt-Tab - Switch between programs

Say you want to create a planning map for a scenario.
1. Pick a scenario any scenario.
2. Scroll the map so the part of the scenario you want to make a planning map of is visible.
3. Alt-PrtScr
4. Switch to the Paint program.
5. Ctrl-V
6. Optionally you could crop the image here using the instructions in the above link. But I say, why bother.
7. At this point you are ready to make marks on the Paint image to represent your plans. Play with the Paint program to use the various tools. I will show you one way of putting arrows on the map which indicate your planned advance.
8. On the bottom left corner of the Paint program, you will see a bunch of boxes with colours. Click on the black box.
9. On the top left corner of the Paint program, you will see an image of a paint brush. Click on it.
10. Use the mouse to draw arrows for your planning purposes.
11. When you are finished planning, ctrl-A, and then Ctrl-V. If you do not want to keep the image in Paint because you are going to make another planning map, use Ctrl-X instead of Ctrl-V.
12. Switch to the WordPad Program. Ctrl-V
13. Save the WordPad file.
14. You have now created a planning map.
15. Please note after you Ctrl-V, the image you pasted will still be selected. If you hit enter you will delete the selected image. To unselect and go to a new line hit the right arrow key and then the down arrow key.
16. Repeat this process. You can use the Page Up and Page Down keys to navigate thorugh your WordPad document.

Creating WordPad documents in this manner tend to get very large. You can copy the contents into other pograms such as Microsoft Word and save the Word file as a .doc file. While in the Wordpad program, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C. GO to the WOrd program. Ctrl-V. Save the word document.

Have fun!
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2008, 04:35 PM,
RE: Quick and Dirty Planning Maps
Great Post
I do the same thing, then use a free photo editior called PhotoScape that has some nice drawing fetures.
http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/downlo...?update=on
09-05-2008, 11:41 PM,
HMCS Rosthern Wrote:
11. When you are finished planning, ctrl-A, and then Ctrl-V. If you do not want to keep the image in Paint because you are going to make another planning map, use Ctrl-X instead of Ctrl-V.
Have fun!

Thanks for the great step by step here! One thing, I believe that the Ctrl-Vs above, in line 11, should actually be Ctrl-Cs, to copy before then Ctrl-V in the destination? If so, you may want to edit this for the future!

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-06-2008, 08:51 AM,
Correction made in step 11.

Here are some instructions for creating your own planning maps using nothing but stock programs that come with the Windows operating system. These planning maps are not designed for printing, but rather for on-line use while playing Pzc games. It is possible to print these maps, but one must tinker with the files so that they will fit on the printed page. I argue that printing is not necessary. These instructions are in text. If there is enough interest, I'll make a demo similar to https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/s...tid=43423. This is really meant for persons who are not too familiar with Windows and computing.

Common Key Strokes

2. Scroll the map so the part of the scenario you want to make a planning map of is visible.
3. Alt-PrtScr
5. Ctrl-V
6. Optionally you could crop the image here using the instructions in the above link. But I say, why bother.
7. At this point you are ready to make marks on the Paint image to represent your plans. Play with the Paint program to use the various tools. I will show you one way of putting arrows on the map which indicate your planned advance.
8. On the bottom left corner of the Paint program, you will see a bunch of boxes with colours. Click on the black box.
9. On the top left corner of the Paint program, you will see an image of a paint brush. Click on it.
11. When you are finished planning, ctrl-A, and then Ctrl-C. If you do not want to keep the image in Paint because you are going to make another planning map, use Ctrl-X instead of Ctrl-C.
15. Please note after you Ctrl-V, the image you pasted will still be selected. If you hit enter you will delete the selected image. To unselect and go to a new line hit the right arrow key and then the down arrow key.
16. Repeat this process. You can use the Page Up and Page Down keys to navigate thorugh your WordPad document.

Creating WordPad documents in this manner tend to get very large. You can copy the contents into other pograms such as Microsoft Word and save the Word file as a .doc file. While in the Wordpad program, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C. GO to the WOrd program. Ctrl-V. Save the word document.

Have fun!
09-06-2008, 08:51 AM,
Correction made in step 11.

Here are some instructions for creating your own planning maps using nothing but stock programs that come with the Windows operating system. These planning maps are not designed for printing, but rather for on-line use while playing Pzc games. It is possible to print these maps, but one must tinker with the files so that they will fit on the printed page. I argue that printing is not necessary. These instructions are in text. If there is enough interest, I'll make a demo similar to https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/s...tid=43423. This is really meant for persons who are not too familiar with Windows and computing.

Common Key Strokes

3. Alt-PrtScr
5. Ctrl-V
11. When you are finished planning, ctrl-A, and then Ctrl-C. If you do not want to keep the image in Paint because you are going to make another planning map, use Ctrl-X instead of Ctrl-C.

Have fun!