• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sicily -German Command Structure
08-24-2008, 11:52 AM,
Sicily -German Command Structure
I am in the midst of a game of Sicily as the Germans/Italians and am struggling to work out how to organize my command structure. Under Corps attachments there are 3 German HQ's listed (German Army in Sicily, Army Reserve and Ad Hoc Corps) which don't appear either on the board or seem to appear as reinforcements. Many of the German units actually start assigned to them. I have reassigned everyone to my crappy Italian Corps HQ's just because they are there and the German Corps HQ doesn't arrive until day 4 or so but I don't know if I am doing the right thing. Anyone have any idea what is going on or advice they can give me?
Regards
Andrew
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2008, 03:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2008, 06:21 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE: Sicily -German Command Structure
Andrew - it is quite simple really.

First off - Ad Hoc Corps contains units which didn't historically fight there but could well have fought there. These units come into play only in some WHAT IF Scns.

The German Army in Sicily is again just that - a collection of German units in Sicily. The Corps HQ is not on the map because there was never such a Corps HQ.

The only German HQ which came into play was Hube with XIV Panzer Corps. This unit arrives on 15 July. Until then you don't have a Corps HQ. After or on 15 July, when Hube arrives it is wise to transfer all German units on the map to this Corps.

The way the mechanics of the game works - you can only transfer Divisions to a new Corps if there are themselves in an OOB with a Corps HQ. SO you see I needed to include Corps HQs within the Org tree for the German Army in Sicily AND the Ad Hoc Corps in order to make these units elligible to the transferred to XIV Pz Corps when Hube arrives.

So, for the first few days after Sicily is invaded the German units have no Corps HQ. After the 15th however Hube offers the Axis Player an "A Quality" Corps HQ with a 90 hex command range which basically will improve the Gemran command situation ... which is what actually happened when Hube arrived and the effect I was trying to achieve.

Glenn
Send this user an email
08-24-2008, 03:49 PM,
Glen
Thanks. So am I best leaving the German units assigned to one of the not on the map German HQ's or re-assigning them to one of the Italian HQ's? My guess is that it makes little difference as they will most likely be out of command range of the Italian Corps HQ's anyway but would appreciate your view.
Rgds
Andrew
08-24-2008, 06:25 PM,
To be completely honest with you Andrew, I hadn't thought of the Axis player attaching the German units to the Italain Corps, but that would work I suppose if they were close by so as to be within range. Off hand I think it would be best to leave them unattached, at least that was what I had intended.

Glenn
Send this user an email
08-24-2008, 07:54 PM,
Thinking it through the main advantage to using the Italian Corps HQ is you get more usage out of corps assets eg the German units can spot for XVI Corp artillery. Otherwise its probably all the same. Thanks for the answers.
Cheers
Andrew
PS : I took Gela a blew the bridge on the 1st day. Yahoo.