• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

z fire
08-25-2008, 08:57 PM,
RE: z fire
Perhaps this requires extensive testing :)
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2008, 09:39 PM,
I guess so!

In general I'd like to give this reminder to everyone, when you first move a unit and then fire it, yóu may have stopped moving it but the game assumes it's still moving during the fire sequence that same turn. The faster you moved the less accurate the firing becomes. Infantry that moved 3 or more hexes is at least jogging or even running. Can't fire very accurately when doing that; even big red barns close by can be missed! ;)

Narwan
08-25-2008, 10:38 PM,
Vesku Wrote:Perhaps this requires extensive testing :)

Ha haBig Grin
Very good.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
08-25-2008, 10:41 PM,
Narwan Wrote:Can't fire very accurately when doing that; even big red barns close by can be missed! ;)

Good point there.
I have noticed quite a lot of footage of soldiers firing from behind cover, lifting their weapon over their head and blasting away. That has to produce some interesting results...especially for other friendlies in the general area.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
08-25-2008, 11:26 PM,
Hehe, that's another way to view area fire; the target may be in sight but the firer unwilling to expose himself so he shoots blindly over the wall or around the corner!
08-25-2008, 11:55 PM,
Walrus Wrote:
Narwan Wrote:Can't fire very accurately when doing that; even big red barns close by can be missed! ;)

Good point there.
I have noticed quite a lot of footage of soldiers firing from behind cover, lifting their weapon over their head and blasting away. That has to produce some interesting results...especially for other friendlies in the general area.

Have you seen any from armies that can be considered high quality? I can't remember seeing any, it's usually Afgan rebels or some other not so well trained troop.
Vesku

08-26-2008, 12:03 AM,
Vesku Wrote:Have you seen any from armies that can be considered high quality? I can't remember seeing any, it's usually Afgan rebels or some other not so well trained troop.

I've seen footage of US soldiers blindly shooting over a wall in Vietnam. It could be that they had tons of nearby ammo, so that wasn't a concern. Despite many US troops in Vietnam being conscripts, I would consider them high quality.
08-26-2008, 12:09 AM,
Right, I remember seeing Vietnam footage too. I was trying to find something more modern.
Vesku

08-26-2008, 01:53 AM,
You probably won't find a post-Vietnam A-list example because post-Vietnam tactics use riflemen mainly to acquire (ideally already suppressed) targets and apply the coup de grace.

When you combine kevlar helmets, ceramic body armor, and modern medicine that makes it very difficult to die from an extremity wound, you get ultra-aggressive infantry tactics that no longer invest a lot of time in spraying and praying. (Also ultra-expensive, but that's another topic.)

-- 30 --
08-26-2008, 05:28 AM,
Epoletov [SPR Wrote:.]
---Off. top ---

Irritates that that tankmen are frightened (buttoned) bombardment from rifles, machine guns. :soap:

If it occured from bombardment rounds - then it is realistic.
For example, the Soviet tankmen fired at one German tank simultaneously several guns, SU-xx (which could not punch armor). Then German tankmen jumped out of the serviceable battle machine contused.

Sorry to say but I just finished reading TANK RIDER again by Evgeni Bessonov and he witnessed first hand T34 crews jumping out of tanks and running away even at the first sighting of a German tank. Another crew ran away from MG fire. Poor training is all that is.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha