• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

6th PzD - OOB Question - Stalingrad
08-19-2008, 12:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2008, 12:36 PM by von Nev.)
RE: 6th PzD - OOB Question - Stalingrad
Thanks for the help all.

Raus clearly says that the assault gun unit had over 40 vehicles with a quote from pg 182 where he says, " . . . the 150 tanks of Panzer Regiment 11 surged out of the village at the same moment that Major Koch's forty-two Stg III assault guns hit them in the rear." He also eluded to that the unit was at full strength. This is what was confusing to me since my research does not indicate that the Stug battalions were over around 30 vehicles.

Regarding whether it was the 228th Assault Gun battalion I still can't confirm that. Wein mentioned that Franz Kurowski believes it was the 228th, but I have Franz Kurowski's book "Sturmgeschutze Vor!" (Assault Guns to the Front) and the 228th isn't in the whole book even though the book claims that it lists all the assault gun battalions in the Wehrmacht. Strange.

I'll keep looking . . .

Marty

P.S. I am going to put the camels in the game. Anybody have a good image of a camel cavalry unit?? ;)

For those that don't know what we are talking about, the 4th Cavalry Corps unbelievably had units where camels were the mount of preference. These camel units were running over the snowy steppes southeast of Stalingrad in December 1942!! Raus's kampfgruppes said that they were incredibly mobile and in one instance they barely escaped the rampaging panzers of the 6th Panzer division by fording the Aksay River.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
6th PzD - OOB Question - Stalingrad - by von Nev - 08-18-2008, 01:14 PM
RE: 6th PzD - OOB Question - Stalingrad - by von Nev - 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM