• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HPS or JTBG?
08-18-2008, 09:59 AM,
HPS or JTBG?
I've been toying with getting either an HPS ACW title or the Matrix version of John Tillers Battleground ACW pack.

Which is the better series of games and which has the larger player pool?

cheers
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2008, 10:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2008, 10:46 AM by Tide1.)
RE: HPS or JTBG?
Matt The graphics are a little bit better in the battleground game but I can't see the units unless I look at the map in 2d normal.
The HPS series. The graphics don't look so good but at least I can see the units withought playing the entire game in 2d :)
I have both but I play the HPS games because of the reasons above. But I would say the bigger player pool is HPS.

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
08-18-2008, 11:50 AM,
Both are pretty cool. But what makes me lean towards HPS is that when losses occur, BG takes them in blocks of 25. In HPS they can be any amount. There are mods for both, yes, I know you are fan of those, lol, so either way, you'll be happy.
Send this user an email
08-18-2008, 12:20 PM,
Hi Fubar,

I can't speak to the Matrix version but I still the orginal Talonsoft Battlegrounds games and have a very good time with them. THe HPS titles are very well put together as well and I would recommend either. As to tide not being able to see the units, well he has a 14 inch monitor so you know how that goes.... LOL...

Actually I hve no trouble seeing the units for either games, graphics are better for the old Talonsoft but that does not come into play for me. I think both games have their strengths and having both means being able to play a battle in different styles and not getting bored.

I hope this helps.....

Thunder
08-18-2008, 10:19 PM,
Matt;

I own none of the games in either series, but I own titles from both Matrix and HPS, and all things being equal (which for me they clearly are here) I would give the coin toss to HPS based on product support. Matrix has gotten tone better at support than when they first started, but HPS started out as top notch and has never yielded that position. No company of any size comes close to the support that HPS gives it's products (in my humble opinion).

Regards; Paul
08-19-2008, 02:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2008, 02:11 AM by Fubar.)
OK guys thanks for the thoughts on the two series of games, plenty to think about.

This brings me to another question!

Being a Brit my knowledge of the ACW is woeful really, all my interest has come from reading a few books, watching films like Gettysburg and Glory and playing with toy figures as a kid. :whis:

What would you say was the most interesting, or should that be easiest :rolleyes: , of the HPS titles. Obviously the most famous battle outside the US it seems to me is Gettysburg but does that make it the most interesting to play?

cheers

P.S. Mods!!!! Did i hear someone say mods? ;)
08-19-2008, 02:16 AM,
Wow, this is a loaded question that will get you lots of different answers. Antietam, Chickamauga, Vicksburgh and the list goes one. If you looking for an answer as to what is the first HPS ACW title to get I would grab Campaign Peninsula. This game has many famous battles and presents you with alot of options on replay.

Out of the ones I have played so far this is my favorite and if you go this route I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Thunder
08-19-2008, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2008, 03:16 AM by Kingmaker.)
HiHi

Matt dunno if this is any help but here is a link to a JTBG AAR being run onthe Matrix forum,

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1886030

you may pick up some pointers in it (the points about being English with vey limited knowledge of the battles etc is raised there as well). Sorry can't say owt about HPS games, while I think the Campaign idea is brilliant I never got passed the naff graphics, but I'm sure there will be HPS AARs floating about somewhere.

Word of Warning, I'm sure this will apply to HPS games as well, I have played a few WWII guys starting/coming back to ACW and they have all expressed a difficulty/confusion with adapting to the periods tactical limitations etc when compared to WWII, ie you are playing on a different Wicket.

Good luck & have fun whichever you choose.

All the Best
Peter