• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

About H2H Section
08-16-2008, 06:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2008, 06:42 AM by Feldgeneral Hoth.)
About H2H Section
Hello Guys.

First to say, I've made several new scns to CS, so these are my thoughts from a designer point of view, and I would like to do a question to general oppinion about the task of the Scenario Testing section in our Club.

I think this section is a valuous section by the CS community and help us to understand the game mechanisms. Despite several attempts to improve this section by some of our club members :bow: , this section never worked properly. As designer, testing area is the most important zone as creation of new scns.

I can argue a lack of interest of players (reasonable :rolleyes:) to play scns without a previous control of their playability parameters. Anybody likes to play an unbalanced scn, yes...(mainly if you are the weak side :( ) but commonly all of these scns located in the depot section just need a little testing work to pass to general depot.
The extra points awarded by tester does not work fine.

From this point, designers usually have a regular team of players to do this task and from here, the scn is released to community without control of H2H section. Then, this section fall in a sadly ostracism. Creation of new scns is a fantastic idea (maybe the key) to keep this great game alive.

Just some thoughts to make think about H2H section.
EekHelp to designers...help to test the new scns...Eek

Cheers.
Chema
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2008, 11:52 AM,
RE: About H2H Section
I'm a veteran of playtesting for Steel Panthers and Combat Mission. I like playtesting as it gives me a reason to fire up a game. I haven't had as much free time as I used to but would like to playtest CS scenarios. I could care less about receiving points. I find the current system cumbersome. I am used to the discussion system at the CM site, the proving grounds, where designers and testers can interact.
08-16-2008, 10:29 PM,
junk2drive Wrote:I'm a veteran of playtesting for Steel Panthers and Combat Mission. I like playtesting as it gives me a reason to fire up a game. I haven't had as much free time as I used to but would like to playtest CS scenarios. I could care less about receiving points. I find the current system cumbersome. I am used to the discussion system at the CM site, the proving grounds, where designers and testers can interact.

We agree here!
I think the H2H system used for CS is way too cumbersome.
Discussions and quick "fixes" to the scenario as it is being developed seems to work out best. I use a small group of individual players and a simple method against the AI.
Games just seem to get "tuned" faster for a lot less work and hassle.

Ed
08-17-2008, 02:47 AM,
Hi All,
The reason I quit trying to play-test the scns was the last game i tested the designer had already updated it before we were done playing. We didn't play slow 2 turns a week and it was only 25 turns. Why should I test something that was being updated as I was playing giving no thaught to what we were to report. I'm always willing to help play test but lets wait until the test is over before making inprovements. Thanks
Chuck
08-17-2008, 03:00 AM,
Gents what do you mean by the H2H system is to cumbersome? Please explain cheers

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
08-17-2008, 04:09 AM,
Chuck10mtn Wrote:Hi All,
The reason I quit trying to play-test the scns was the last game i tested the designer had already updated it before we were done playing. We didn't play slow 2 turns a week and it was only 25 turns. Why should I test something that was being updated as I was playing giving no thaught to what we were to report. I'm always willing to help play test but lets wait until the test is over before making inprovements. Thanks
Chuck
This cannot happen if the test is registered as the designer is unable to upload a new file to the testing page, while there are still (registered) tests running.

But you are correct, the designer should have waited until you had finished, i am afraid i cannot control what a designer does.
08-17-2008, 04:35 AM,
Chema,

I'll test anything you made, whether it's in H2H section or not.
If we maintain a quick turn rate the H2H section is not so cumbersome.

Huib
08-17-2008, 05:19 AM,
Just release them, people will tell how they feel about them.
Send this user an email
08-17-2008, 06:04 AM,
Huib Wrote:Chema,

I'll test anything you made, whether it's in H2H section or not.

Thanks Huib, Everybody knows of your great implication in designing tasks.

The problem arise when a scn is ready to test...At this moment, a question appear to designer: Post the scn to H2H section or do it myself?.
A scn tested from H2H area means the scn passed several testing games and it is improved.

I would like to pick a scn from de general scn depot that previosly was in the H2H section... It give me a relative guarantee about playability and fun, but due to minimal activity of the testing section many designers decide to realease to general depot directly. What implication have this fact on the new scn? Players prefer to pick " already played scns" or a new fully tested instead of new ones from a new designer...

This have a serious implication :There are a lot of fantastic scns out there, unplayed, no voted, and finally missing...
I noted that, when a new threat is posted in the forum looking for funny scns :)

Cheers.
Chema
08-17-2008, 11:32 AM,
I think the point at issue here is a VERY fundamental one....what is "balance". Seems to me we have been arguing about that since the year dot