• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bombarding a Bridge in Pzc/Mc ???
08-15-2008, 04:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2008, 04:56 AM by MasnarT.)
Bombarding a Bridge in Pzc/Mc ???
what about calling an Air Strike to destroy a Bridge in Pzc or Mc ??
what do you think guys?
Dany "BigBlock" Sakr
Beirut / Lebanon
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2008, 05:11 AM,
RE: Bombarding a Bridge in Pzc/Mc ???
This has been discussed a length in the past, with views for and against, but there is no indication from Glenn/HPS that the air rules will be updated.
08-16-2008, 05:21 AM,
too bad Cry
Dany "BigBlock" Sakr
Beirut / Lebanon
Send this user an email
08-16-2008, 05:56 AM,
MasnarT Wrote:too bad Cry

Not really - at least not for PzC. There are lots of examples where this was tried and failed - in fact the Brits lost a ton of AC trying this in France against teh Germans in 1940.

In MC, ya - one could see that hitting a bridge might certainly be possible given all the film footage we saw on CNN from the Gulf War (which was later than 1985 I might add - when the weapons were not so smart.)

But in the big picture consider this - how many THOUSAND Bridges are there West Germany you figure? You think we have them all - every single one over every waterway on our game map? I mean we are good and we use the best source maps we can for the scale of the game but I don't think were that good. And I can really see players figuring out perfect plans to isolate whole hords of NATO Troops - or NATO Aircraft knocking down bridges - more bridges than the Soviets have mobile Bridges in our OOB (and do you think we got that 100% right - down to the number of Mobile bridges in the WP OOB) Because again I don't.

Guys - this is a game - a you guy I go game based mainly on land combat and people tend to forget that. They also tend to find ways to use things in ways we never intended - we've seen people use NUCS around objectives they held so the attacker can't assault them because they are disrunpted when they go into a radiation hex.

You have no idea of the stuff we see guy do - us or abuse things we made for the game system thinking we were doing good. Adding Air attacks on Terrain hexesides like bridges would not only be difficult to program but would lean itself to a whole host of gamey tactic.

Allowing Aircraft to attack Bridges in MC is like asking me to Kiss my sister - she might look real attractive to you, but I just don't want to go there and open that can or worms.

So hold your tears - it won't be happening - not only because of the issues and gamey play it would lead to, beacause it ain't easy to do and the pain and potential pain it would bring, far outways any benefit or improvement to the system.

If you want to blow up bridges with modern aircraft, see Modern Air Power by HPS - Mo Morgan had a hand it it and that guy is a facinating character who has tons of experience dropping ordenance on things.

Glenn
Send this user an email
08-16-2008, 06:06 AM,
well said Glenn
08-16-2008, 06:23 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Allowing Aircraft to attack Bridges in MC is like asking me to Kiss my sister - she might look real attractive to you, but I just don't want to go there and open that can or worms.

Is this a real sister or just a hypothetical one????? ;) :whis:

I really gotta know!!! LOL cheers
08-16-2008, 06:26 AM,
Lefty it don't matter YUCK!!!!

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
08-16-2008, 03:45 PM,
you're right Glenn :bow: .... i am convinced.
as i cant join the IDF Airforce to blow bridges in Lebanon ... maybe I'll check Modern Air Power Big Grin
Dany "BigBlock" Sakr
Beirut / Lebanon
Send this user an email