• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Assault Rule Discussion Part 2
08-16-2008, 10:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2008, 10:37 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
RE: Assault Rule Discussion Part 2
junk2drive Wrote:I'm your complainer, though I didn't intend it to come off that way. I tried to politely suggest that the videos be kept out of the "then", heated, threads.

Then there were two complainers?
I thought the movies helped to lighten up what became heated. And, ya didn't have to click the links if you did not want to view them? ;) But, you are correct, in that all the clutter was annoying on the serious threads.

I agree with 1925frank, you were very polite.
You should have seen Dumassrox complaining e-mail to me. Because all my movies used "Indians", I must have hated "Indians". I thought it was the Bombay movie company we were using? LOL! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2008, 01:18 AM,
No, there was only one complaint, and it was junk2drive's. I remember because he quickly became the subject of some abusive videos on the other threads. (Junk2drive -- you'll have to visit the threads to see if that's true.)

I play the game to have fun, and I agree the videos are a great way to break the tension.

Things must really be slow if we're talking about videos on an assault thread.

Regarding assaults, I will say this: In my other war games, assaults played a far less prominent role. Steel Panthers has an assault when friendly and enemy units are in the same hex, but I've never succeeded in using it because the enemy units usually clear off before I get there or because by the time I get there I no longer have the movement points or morale to assault. In Combat Mission, assaults require more finesse than Campaign Series, because, if done improperly, you gain nothing and lose everything. It was the assault aspect that made Campaign Series stand out, and it made for quicker play and more decisive play. You had to be on your toes both offensively (to grab an opportunity) and defensively (to thwart possible assaults). It might not have been realistic, but it made for intense play.
08-17-2008, 02:51 AM,
Gentlemen - Hello !
It is good to see that some civility has been restored. This has been a very impassioned subject - this assault stuff. It's still just a game with its own interpretions - as numerous as its players !
My take : I'm OK either way - it's just something else for me to try learn and to perform as well as my more talented ( and luckier ! ) opponents. ( Yes -- I'm a loser - it's OK -- hmmph ! )
Still - I always did prefer and respect the game's original premise with the optional armour facing - that of using a percentage factor vs. a frontal, flank or rear aspect - rather than just a judgement number. To me , this respects the relative comparisons of the default setup. I'm griping that some vehicles didn't get a fair shake , etc.
So .. that said .. infantry fighting has no facing aspect .. so this would support those that do NOT use armour facings , and thus making that concern equal for all units. OK -- but " frontal " range lethality did increase for some units.
OK -- back to assaults - no facing there, either ! I'm an old runt .. and believe me .. it'll be an edge to hit 'em from " that-a-way " rather than straight on - ready and waiting !
So - would this be yet another detail necessary for realism, and we still can never know just how well a defender will or won't be " surprised " , or again, too much detail for the game scale ?
I'm OK ( somewhat ) with the various abstractions, either way. Man -- this is one sexy game to come along - looks good - nice scale - and my friends seem to like her, too. I'm stickin' with this one - changes OK - why would anyone want different -- wait ( ! ) - did you see -- who's THAT babe over there ? !

" Find 'em , fix 'em, fight 'em, finish 'em. "

Respectfully,
Tom S. 5 Leichte Div
08-17-2008, 03:51 AM,
Welcome, 5th Leichte Division!
08-17-2008, 12:57 PM,
TO -1925frank :
Thank you, Sir ! I've been an " inactive " status for a while now, maybe a chance to return to gaming. Now - I've got to learn to spell " interpretions " ( interpretations ! ) correctly.
My buddies are right - old retreads ride funny . Just a grumpy ole' coot wit' somethin' to say. Hmmph !

Regards, Sir
Tom S. 5 Leichte Div