• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Assault Rule Discussion Part 2
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM,
RE: Assault Rule Discussion Part 2
because it makes downloading 1.03 a joke! Had I known this I would have stayed with 1.02b and waited till 1.04..

If this is true than we might as well all go back to 1.02 because now 1.03 is a big waste of peoples time. Outside of the assault rules there are very few changes in the game. This is a bad idea and whats worse its not even a compromies. A small bunch of people who were unwilling to change or adapt there tactics have essentially sabotaged 1.03 and forced the entire community back to 1.02..

very sad
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2008, 05:34 PM,
So what happens when the same bunch of people wont like the changes in 1.04..and apparantly theres some big changes due in that version...what happens then??..do we bend over backwards to satisfy a few inflexible people?? It will make all the updates a joke if we can keep on switching from one version to another. If a few people dont like 1.03 well let them play 1.02.

Make a compromise between 1.02 and 1.03 but not an on-off switch. This is a bad idea with the word danger written all over it.

It solves nothing and it will further divide the community.

I will outright refuse to PBEM or tcp any games with any opponent who wants to play 1.02 rules..Now how are you going to fix that when this starts happening in the ladders?

Maybe a ladder should be set up for 1.02 rules and 1.03 rules..

Good luck!
08-13-2008, 09:13 PM,
Osiris Wrote:A small bunch of people who were unwilling to change or adapt there tactics have essentially sabotaged 1.03 and forced the entire community back to 1.02..

Where did you get this idea?
Though I am not happy with the "optional" idea, I am more than happy that we get a new rule that is toned down and bug free. That is what I will be using when I play. But, I will also play anyone who wants to only play version 1.02. Like the armor facing rule, I will play mostly those who have it switched on but, I do not mind playing those that do not.
The future toned down version 1.03 assault rule seems to have as much impact that the current one has. I do no see that so much as a compromise as it is fixing something that was just wrong.

I did not count the heads of everyone who would want to switch to version 1.03 or stay with 1.02. Though, the sample from the poll is too small to give an accurate reading, it does display more wanted a compromised version than the old or new.
If Matrix gives an option to use the old or toned down new, who loses?

Ed
08-13-2008, 09:20 PM,
Hi All,
I guess the armor facing on or off could be the way a person wants to intetprete what happens when a tank retreats from battle. Assulting pretty much happens the same way all the time. I just don't want to have to make 100 different chioces before I play the game. I have been getting assulted with startling regularity and its been working, I don't see the down side to the new assult rule. Huib we'll have to play with the armor off sometime almost all of mine have been with armor on, I'd like a chance to see what a few games with it off would be like. Playing my 1st with it off now.

Chuck
08-13-2008, 09:23 PM,
Osiris Wrote:So what happens when the same bunch of people wont like the changes in 1.04..and apparantly theres some big changes due in that version...what happens then??..do we bend over backwards to satisfy a few inflexible people?? It will make all the updates a joke if we can keep on switching from one version to another. If a few people dont like 1.03 well let them play 1.02.

Make a compromise between 1.02 and 1.03 but not an on-off switch. This is a bad idea with the word danger written all over it.

It solves nothing and it will further divide the community.

I will outright refuse to PBEM or tcp any games with any opponent who wants to play 1.02 rules..Now how are you going to fix that when this starts happening in the ladders?

Maybe a ladder should be set up for 1.02 rules and 1.03 rules.

You seem to be arguing yourself here?
Was a post removed in between?

Why do you attack a few? Who are the few?
When I was reading the Matrix forums I found no arguments about the assault rules (or visibility being able to change) or suggestions for them, until a "few" changed the rule for "all the rest of us". And then, players spoke up?

I agree that the compromise should be hardwired with no optional selection. Eventually, if enough players are not using the old 1.02 and it remains an unused option, what is the harm?

And, concerning your "threat" to not play anyone who wants to use version 1.02 ... who cares? You'll either play with those using version 1.03 or play less?

Be careful, you are in danger of becoming the next vocal "inflexible few". ;)

Ed
08-13-2008, 09:24 PM,
Chuck10mtn Wrote:Hi All,
I guess the armor facing on or off could be the way a person wants to intetprete what happens when a tank retreats from battle. Assulting pretty much happens the same way all the time. I just don't want to have to make 100 different chioces before I play the game. I have been getting assulted with startling regularity and its been working, I don't see the down side to the new assult rule. Huib we'll have to play with the armor off sometime almost all of mine have been with armor on, I'd like a chance to see what a few games with it off would be like. Playing my 1st with it off now.

Chuck

Excellent post Chuck!

Ed
08-13-2008, 10:06 PM,
Quote:Osiris Wrote:
A small bunch of people who were unwilling to change or adapt there tactics have essentially sabotaged 1.03 and forced the entire community back to 1.02..

Where have you been Osiris - with your head up your cloud? It's just not a "few" as you describe - countless posts have argued that the new 1.03 rules have pushed the assaulting rules way to the defenders side and everyone of the founding scenarios as well as the new scenarios - that have been built are totally out of balance now, and a compromise is what gamers want. Please don't post drabble about only a few wanting change, when in fact the majority of the gamers on this board as well as the matrix board want a comprise.

Please spare all of us with your dramatic antics - it's not flushing here!
08-13-2008, 11:24 PM,
Chuck10mtn Wrote:Hi All,

Chuck

The armor facing is a source of some debate. This is a platoon level game with company command. Armor facing is really more suited to CM etc.So, the game was designed not to use armor facing. I suspect the rule came about mainly because the early German tanks can't do much against the T/34s and KVs without a rear shot It does I think tend to make for some gamey type play.I like it off but rarely make a big deal out of it.

VE
08-14-2008, 02:16 AM,
HI

I did not mean to offend anyone. I firmly believe this should have been hard wired into the system. Yes the 1.03 rules needed to be fixed and tweaked and fixed up but that was all. I guess Im really surprised that this was the solution to a problem where more people were in favor of fixing the rules rather than having a option.

If you look at the voting this option was among the last thing people wanted along with going back to 1.02. Yes the poll was small but it gave some idea of direction this thing needed to go.

Maybe I was mistaken in saying a small group wanted to go back to 1.02 but I think the majority wanted a fixed up 1.03 rather than on-off swtich.

Any whats done is done.

can we finally kill this very dead horse

Rene
08-14-2008, 05:25 AM,
Osiris Wrote:I did not mean to offend anyone. I firmly believe this should have been hard wired into the system. Yes the 1.03 rules needed to be fixed and tweaked and fixed up but that was all. I guess Im really surprised that this was the solution to a problem where more people were in favor of fixing the rules rather than having a option.

It is more puzzled than offended. No worries mate! :)
I think that Matrix and the crew might be looking beyond just the PBEM gamers and club groupies that have kept the game a viable commodity for a long time.
The new version will give us the option to play a cleaned up assault system. There is no heartbreak there? ;)

Osiris Wrote:If you look at the voting this option was among the last thing people wanted along with going back to 1.02. Yes the poll was small but it gave some idea of direction this thing needed to go.

Maybe I was mistaken in saying a small group wanted to go back to 1.02 but I think the majority wanted a fixed up 1.03 rather than on-off swtich.

It was clear that there were far more who wanted a compromise. But, this is the solution we have been given. All should work out. I only "carried the water" for many who were communicating via e-mail rather than posting their own thoughts on the subject. Since they were close to my thoughts I picked up the bucket. I'm looking forward to a toned down assault system. :smoke:

Osiris Wrote:Any whats done is done.
can we finally kill this very dead horse

Rene, my friend, I only replied to the post because it looked like the discussion was going to resume, after the Tazmanian Devil swooped in and I got my posting privileges removed.
I was just catching up on three days worth of posts. To me the horse was wandering in the pasture and looked like it wanted to go for a ride. Big Grin

cheers

Ed