• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A few thank you's revisited
08-02-2008, 01:12 AM,
RE: A few thank you's revisited
Bootie Wrote:
Mad Russian Wrote:Are we changing club rules then?

Can PM's be made public or not?

Good Hunting.

MR

I wouldnt think so... the majority of members are happy with the rules.

No idea.. perhaps you should PM SG and ask him.

PMs are Private Messages, and as such, I think, like email, most people expect a certain amount of privacy extended to the contents. For my part, I have extended to you Steve, the courtesy to consider any PMs and emails we may exchange as public knowledge. I did this because you have stated you have issues with the Staff of this web site and the use of PMs. My offer to you is one on my part, and is not an extension that covers anyone other than me.

For my two cents though, I would not be a member of a website if I felt I could not interact with the Staff in trust and good faith. To state so publicly to a person who has, I think, never actually exchanged a PM or email with you, is highly insulting to me personally.
08-02-2008, 07:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2008, 10:48 AM by Steel God.)
Steel God Wrote:PMs are Private Messages, and as such, I think, like email, most people expect a certain amount of privacy extended to the contents. For my part, I have extended to you Steve, the courtesy to consider any PMs and emails we may exchange as public knowledge. I did this because you have stated you have issues with the Staff of this web site and the use of PMs. My offer to you is one on my part, and is not an extension that covers anyone other than me.

For my two cents though, I would not be a member of a website if I felt I could not interact with the Staff in trust and good faith. To state so publicly to a person who has, I think, never actually exchanged a PM or email with you, is highly insulting to me personally.

Seems like alot of folks on this site get highly insulted.

Edit: I removed a comment that was not about rules interpretation or clarification. SG

I'm not sure why you feel insulted that I don't trust the management after my past experiences with them here. I'm not sure why you think it best to have private conversations about club rules and regulations.

I never intended on insulting you. Just stating that I don't trust the PM system where the officers of this website are concerned.
I was being truthful not trying to be insulting. To go into reasons why I feel what way would be just about ancient history for most and not really worth the time it takes to put it down. That still doesn't change how I feel about it.

The fact that a member can be banned for PM content and not bring up the PM in their own defense....although I'm thinking if you get banned you have no recourse anyway....seems a bit out of place for a trust issue on the member whose at risk.

You're not at risk for anything you put in a PM...but I am and that is supposed to make me feel secure in any communications we have? You are the one that put me on probatation for simply wanting the club to look at the activities of one of the Mods on the site. An acitivity that everyone agreed had been done by club procedure. Sorry, again that doesn't make me feel all that comfortable with private conversations.

The fact that the rules are Mod specific, that the Mod determines what is, and isn't, an offense makes it member beware in the first place.

If you are just a gamer here GREAT. You will never have an issue.

Only those that ever post to the boards and have an opinion contrary to the Mods opinion are in danger of being banned or censored.

At the end of the day, the Blitz will be run however you want it to be. Those that appreciate that will stay. Those that don't will move to other CM sites.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-02-2008, 09:48 AM,
Mad Russian Wrote:The fact that a member can be banned for PM content and not bring up the PM in their own defense....although I'm thinking if you get banned you have no recourse anyway....seems a bit out of place for a trust issue on the member whose at risk.

The question I have here is to what defense you are referring? There is no jury of peers (i.e. members) system in place, so the only people to whom you might present a defense case would be the other staff members at the Blitz. I could be wrong, but I don't see that a staff member here would refuse to allow another staff member to see the contents of a PM if there was a grievance filed. Who else needs to see the PM to get a proper defense?

Now, if you don't trust the staff to give a grievance to fair review and resolution, than that is a different matter altogether.
08-02-2008, 10:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2008, 10:17 AM by Mad Russian.)
Mike Abberton Wrote:Now, if you don't trust the staff to give a grievance to fair review and resolution, than that is a different matter altogether.

That could well be an issue, since when using the grievance process the last time, I was put on probation for simply being on the side that asked for a Mod's behavior to be reviewed.

Even though, I've never been disciplined for anything, on this, or any other website I've ever been on.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-02-2008, 10:49 AM,
Mad Russian,

SteelGod drew up the conditions of the petition and put it to the petitioners.

It merited these replies.

From Colonel Talvela - FYI - we are circulating an email to make sure that all the petitioners will agree to this. For my part, I can live with this.

From McIvan - Thank you, Steel God, for your admirable summary, and in particular the spirit in which you have presented the proposals and clarification. I speak for the petitioners in saying that the proposals are accepted.

One of the proposals was...

The petitioners accept that their status here is considered probationary, as if they had been issued a warning, and any violations of the above will result in suspension without additional warnings. The probation will be removed by the new moderator when he is comfortable, and is not intended to last indefinitely. (This is new, and is actually a revision to the ban-light concept, which, after discussion, penalized too heavily those among the petitioners who have no track record of disruption).
08-02-2008, 10:58 AM,
Well Steve, I accept that you are not trying to be insulting. It's okay, I managed to get over it ;) anyway.

As for being banned for a PM, or whatever, I don't quite understand the fear you have, but after discussing it a couple of times now I have accepted them. The bottom line is that what gets you banned is spelled out as clear as it can be in the rules. If you break those rules via public display, email, PM, or what have you, then the rules are still broken are they not? (no answer required it's rhetorical).

But you are spot on when you say the Blitz will be run the way it will be, and individuals will have to choose to stay or go based on what they like or dislike. I understand that completely, and that is pretty much our approach. Unlike some other web sites that make money by having you click on their URL, this website is non-profit, so extra clicks benefits us not one iota. That leaves us free to do things for the members that want to be here, and not have to kiss anyone's hand to beg them to stay. That's just the way it is.
08-02-2008, 11:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2008, 10:52 AM by Steel God.)
Edit: the content of this post was removed by me because it was a reply to Wigam that I had already moderated by removing because it went off topic for this forum. It was not about rules and clarification, it was about rehashing specific old events that pertain exclusively to the CM forum. SG
08-02-2008, 11:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2008, 10:54 AM by Steel God.)
In case anyone is wondering where Marcus' thread is that Steve is replying to, I had deleted it. Why? Because I'm trying to narrow the scope of this conversation and having extra posts wasn't helping that...and now I'm spending all day doing this while a dozen other things that need my attention aren't getting done. If this is going to be a CM specific thread I can move it back to that forum.

Ah well. I think I'm done for today. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Edit: Having had a chance to attend to my real world commitments I have now come back in and cleaned up all of the off topic tangents in this thread to comply with the first moderation of this thread, which was moderation of Wigam's post. SG
08-02-2008, 11:28 AM,
Mad Russian, I would like to talk further but I must and will respect Steel Gods wishes and will no longer discuss things here.

My email is listed under my member page.
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
08-02-2008, 11:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2008, 10:56 AM by Steel God.)
Wigam Wrote:Mad Russian, I would like to talk further but I must and will respect Steel Gods wishes and will no longer discuss things here.

My email is listed under my member page.

I took it he was going to move the thread not close it.

Whatever. Your inbox is going to stay empty if you can't discuss it here. Why would you be able to discuss in private what you can't say here in the public forum?

Interesting how that ball failed to make it back into my court.

Good Hunting.

MR

Edit: For clarification, my direction to Marcus was to discuss CM specific issues (linking scenarios and Tournies in the CM Forum), I wanted this thread kept free of tangets to the rules clarifications could be addressed. SG