• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Russian halftrack debate
08-01-2008, 07:57 PM,
RE: The Russian halftrack debate
Actually Cole, the only reason they continued to keep the ATR platoons is the industry was not able to switch over quickly to other things.
They had the same anti tank rifle as they did in the beginning of the war. And, were given other tasks.
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2008, 08:43 PM,
I do now leave the atr platoons in esp in campaigns. Best info I can get is Ed is right they were basically the same unit thru the entire war. The Russians employed them at Kursk in large numbers and they worked well in conjunction with all the other units.There were a lot of them and they simply enveloped the Germans in a hail of fire...............try to imagine the confusion of all those rounds hitting your AFv from all those angles....now add the fact that you don't know where they all are....or which location has the 76mm or 85mm AT gun that will doom you....must have been a wild and wooly experience.........

Lastly let me make it clear I wasn't advocating a rule change or even another ROE..........just pointing out that most sides have units that can be employed differently than they were historically.......and no; I don't have a solution for the dispute between the factions that say "The rules allow it therefore I will do it" and the faction that says "I prefer to have the units used realistically as they were in the war".................I will answer it this way..........."East is east and west is west; and never the twain shall meet"

Smile!

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
08-01-2008, 11:29 PM,
Ed, Earl,

Thanks for the info and the insight. I do think there are some parts of combat that can never really be properly represented in a game. I'm reading the memoirs of a Red Army anti-tank gunner. His was involved in many actions using HE against German infantry and survived the war. Try engaging a German infantry platoon with a 45mm AT gun in CS and none of those electronic gunners will survive the scenario, let alone the war....
08-02-2008, 12:36 PM,
For a second I thought Earl was :stir: Is this in the new Matrix version? PLEASE, tell me more!
"I keep a flask of whiskey in my left pocket in case of snake bite....and I keep a small snake in my right pocket" W.C. Fields
08-02-2008, 07:04 PM,
To a certain extant it is Joe. Some units in 1.03 are hidden until you step on them. Russian atr's and 45mm at guns to name a couple. It will make you jump when your out cruising the countryside in an armored car on a nice Sunday morning ;)

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
08-03-2008, 04:15 AM,
I've been going through the 1.03 Bootcamp scens and the AI is using the Soviet ATRs as observers on a regular basis including running them into my backfield.

Wonder what the AI uses with other countries?
08-04-2008, 12:55 AM,
The Russians used anti-tank rifles to destroy the vision slits in German panzers later on in the war once the increase in armour had made the panzers invulnerable to the ATRs. This forced the Panzers to drive around unbuttoned, thus making them more vulnerable to assault by tank hunting squads.

In other words, they had their uses throughout the war.

von Flannell