• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Retired players
07-25-2008, 10:24 AM,
Retired players
I was just looking at the inactive ladder, and a number of fellows posted very impressive records but have been gone for several years. Anyone know what happened to, for example, Esher, Crille or Marcin. Maybe we could have a history page to honor both inactive and active greats.
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2008, 11:54 AM,
RE: Retired players
Your post stimulated me to peruse the list. IMHO (having seen many come and go in the past 8 years), the all time great was Escher. He had a grasp of the game - strategy and tactics - that is the grail of PzC. Not only could he whip anybody's ass, he was a perfect gentleman about it. As he was eviscerating me, he would always give helpful hints and insights; though my lines were shredded and my units routed and decimated I could not wait open the game file and watch the master at work.

Another early hero was Larry "Cap and Gown" Richards. He had a terriffic understanding of the game, and was the first to modify the Bulge with an alternate OOB. His article on the use of deception units in the Bulge is a classic "must read." He may have also authored an article on the use of artillery. He was another perfect gentleman; the only opponent I ever played who would literally advise me what to do and also warn me when I was doing something stupid until he was satisfied that playing me was not simply taking candy from a baby.

These guys were not ladder climbing sharks out for blood, rather unassuming, gentlemen.

Thanks for the memories.

Marquo :)
07-25-2008, 01:24 PM,
I agree with Marquo about Esher he played some of my 1st games on this ladder and while Esher was destroying me he always showed little tips that helped me be somewhat of a average player he would do things that when he was on the attack that you would think that's never going to work then in just a few turns your defensive lines would be in utter ruins and your on your way to a Major Loss He would still be Leader of the Ladder he has not played a game in a couple of years and still has couple thousand point lead.

I cant remember why he left.
07-26-2008, 03:22 AM,
I never had the pleasure to play Larry "Cap and Gown" Richards, but while i agree 100% with Marquo comments about how helpful Esher was and what a nice chap he was, i found that when i played him he would do anything within the rules to achieve a victory no matter how unhistorical that was, he played PzC as a game not as a recreation of history and as long as you understood that was his style there was not an issue. :)

We did have some good threads about "gamey" play going in the past, he always fell on the side of "anything within the rules goes" side of the fence Big Grin

I believe he was trying to launch a Gridiron PC game about the time he left, not sure if that had any bearing on him leaving?
07-26-2008, 08:30 AM,
I played Esher once, in a Fulda 85 tournament with mirrored games. Got trounced in both, Major Losses. He operated with great precision and cut apart my forces.
07-26-2008, 09:42 AM,
I suspect "real life" is the cause that puts most players on this ladder in the inactive category.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
07-28-2008, 12:17 AM,
I propose a toast to Esher.

The best. Bar. None.
08-20-2008, 08:04 AM,
I’ll use this great thread to pay a deserved homage to a great player and friend that is out of the boards from some time: Paolo Penza, currently 49th in the ladder if you use the “all players” option.
As a player he was extremely resourceful, truly a great counterpuncher, and, not counting Tobias Timm (who has a really strong punch) the most dangerous attacker I’ve met.
He was also a great friend and we shared very extensive emails along the years. Sometimes they took longer to write than what it took to play the turn.

I’ve actually met him live when I went to Rome a couple of years ago. It’s very good to meet one of our opponents live. He insisted in picking me up at the airport and I had the opportunity to meet his charming family.

As I understood, “real life” is what kept him away from wargaming these last years.

Rui