• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Something strange...
07-24-2008, 09:18 AM,
Something strange...
In the Szekesfehrvar scenario of Buda. 45, as well as the 2nd Test Started scenario, Hungarian infantry with Morale E and 9 soft consistently have higher Fire Values than Russian infantry with Morale D and 10 soft. I even have several times tested an equal strength Russian unit (170 men) with an equal strength Hungarian unit, and the Hungarian Fire value will be around 130, the Russian 105.

I thought the Hungarians would have double the Russian reduction due to morale (-40 and -20 respectively) and their soft value is 10% lower than the Russian (9 vs. 8). So how can they deliver stronger fire?

I conducted the tests in clear terrain with no fortifications, though I have seen that the same disparity exists when terrain and forts are involved.
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2008, 11:00 AM,
RE: Something strange...
I would check the percentage of men in each unit. Seems the Russian units are below full strength and the Hungarian units are (at start around 90% strength).

There is a parameter in the pdt for the Szekesfehrvar scenario of Buda. 45, that says
" Infantry Strength of 70% men = 90% effectiveness"

I am not sure if you need to below 70% for this reduction of effectiveness to occur. I always thought it was a ratio that could be applied to any understrength unit.

That is my guess concerning the difference you are seeing.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
07-24-2008, 01:45 PM,
When I did equal strength Hungarian vs.Russian, the percentage losses should have hurt the Hungarian if anything because their full strength is 222, while the Russian's is 200.

I believe that the percentage decrease of firepower due to losses goes slow at first, then speeds up after a unit goes under 70% manpower. IIRC an %85 strength unit will only lose something like 7% of its full strength firepower.

The fire values I'm getting from the hungarians are 11% too high. A 200 man unit will get a fire value like it had 227 men firing at soft 9. The overall effect is that the Hungs. seem to operate at a 10 soft instead of 9.
07-26-2008, 09:28 AM,
Send a btl file with your observations to HPS. I do not think we can get much further on this without a btl file. I will be curious to see what the response is. We must be overlooking something.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
07-26-2008, 11:52 AM,
I will send the file, do they have some standard place to send problem files, or should i just use whatever contact they have on their website?
07-27-2008, 06:28 PM,
I would use this link on the HPS website.

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Problems/webhelp.html

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
07-28-2008, 04:11 AM,
Vaevictis Wrote:I will send the file, do they have some standard place to send problem files, or should i just use whatever contact they have on their website?

Well, you can contact Support without the file and then get a reply to submit a file<G>

Seriously- you can write all the text you like to discribe what you are seeing or think is the problem but a file or a file BEFORE and AFTER the issue, saying what hex you are looking at and a brief discription for what the issue is, will get the fastest and most effective response.

BTL files are aven better than BTE files with passwords because we can read the text in the file and zero directly in on the issue.

Glenn
(not HPS Support - but a guy who helps Tiller make the games and ID and fix the issues that come up)
Send this user an email
09-04-2008, 01:51 PM,
Sent in the files, and all was figured out.

Everything going into the fire value calculation was equal but one item: The defense strengths of the infantry units. That accounted for the Hungarian advantage.

I'd never known that defense strengths were factored in that way because the manual only mentioned them regarding close combat.

Wonderful job by HPS!