• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: What Assault Rules do you want.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The old 1.02 version
10.98%
9 10.98%
The new 1.03 version
30.49%
25 30.49%
An option to use either
21.95%
18 21.95%
A comprimise between the two
34.15%
28 34.15%
Something completely different.
2.44%
2 2.44%
Total 82 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Assault Rule opinion poll
07-30-2008, 04:06 AM,
RE: Assault Rule opinion poll
Gents:

I voted for a "compromise" between ver. 1.02 and 1.03.

See my earlier post here:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=47161

I had "real and recent" experience with ver 1.03. IMHO, in addition to the reported bugs (assault, OOB, naval, etc.) there seem to be issues with regular attacks.

Frankly, I just don't trust ver. 1.03 - too many "issues" with it now.

Will wait until Matrix can fix the reported bugs before resuming any CS games.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2008, 04:52 AM,
Guys - I flat out do not like the new assault rules - things have swung now way to the other side as far as I am concerned. I would really love to see a compromise between the old and new rules.

Here is yet another example of why I do not think they are very realistic:

There is a 4SP american infantry platoon in an improved position (just sandbags) - and is disrupted - I have 3 full SP platoons of MkIv's assaulting along with 3 platoons of Panthers - one is at 2SP, one is at 3sp and 1 is 4sp, and just for shiola's and giggles - I throw in a MG crew - well much to my demise - the american infantry platoon still stands - unaffected..... this to me is not realistic either and now more time will be wasted in either shooting them out of the IP or trying to kill them yet another turn. I am to the point of being afraid to assault - even with overwhelming odds.......
07-30-2008, 05:15 AM,
Steve,

I've already seen a two strength point engineer platoon hold out against multiple attacks from a battalion of armor and infantry, over a course of almost five game turns. And, the engineer was disrupted, recovered and then disrupted again. Only to take two more turns to overrun it. :conf:

I just watched an out of supply Soviet disrupted infantry platoon hold out for two turns against multiple attacks from multiple hexes. I'm waiting to see if it holds out for a third turn and I might just surrender the game to my opponent. I'm not sure about it's strength but, even following attack part of the "math" of assaulting is just not working. :chin:

The wasting of AP's on this crap is almost insulting. :angry:

I've given up laughing about it. There is just not much to laugh about. :(
This kind of "realism" is going to spoil the game for me. :whis:Whip

:bow:
07-30-2008, 05:36 AM,
My turn rates have fallen off a bit cause I keep holding out that Matrix will make some kind of an announcement to all of us as to their intentions - I don't think no news is good news - applies with their lack of response thus far.

I do wish they would throw us a bone on where and what their intentions are to be....

I really do not want to uninstall matrix and move back to the gold series - but I guess many of us may have to do this if we want to play the game the way the founding fathers intended it to be played.....
07-30-2008, 05:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2008, 05:44 AM by Jason Petho.)
New EXE's are being tested.

The glitches are fixed.

The odds are improved a little in favour of the attacker, although they are still not "automatic" as pre-1.03.

A full explanation of how they assault actually works will be available when the update is released, which will hopefully be very soon. It is being tested by the BETA Brigade.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
07-30-2008, 06:13 AM,
Good to hear Jason.
I knew the glitches and bugs would all be worked out. Thanks for doing the hard work on those issues! :thumbs_up:

I will look forward to seeing what the patch does for the close assault rules. :smoke:

Will variable visibility, (and I mean where visibility reduces or increases), be made optional or removed? I am thrilled by the At squads remaining hidden after firing. I'm not a fan of the visibility increasing and decreasing by hexes for each turn. :chin:

As Tiger88 said, let us know when we can look forward to updating our patch. :)

cheers
07-30-2008, 06:18 AM,
Silkster53 Wrote:Good to hear Jason.
I knew the glitches and bugs would all be worked out. Thanks for doing the hard work on those issues! :thumbs_up:

Thanks, we are trying. Really.

Silkster53 Wrote:I will look forward to seeing what the patch does for the close assault rules. :smoke:

You may not be 100% happy, but you should be way happier than now. I think anyway! It is still difficult, just not as hard!

Silkster53 Wrote:Will variable visibility, (and I mean where visibility reduces or increases), be made optional or removed?

It has been capped, for the moment, to the middle visibility spectrum. Eventually, I believe, it will be made optional, but not for this coming small(ish) update.

Silkster53 Wrote:I am thrilled by the At squads remaining hidden after firing. I'm not a fan of the visibility increasing and decreasing by hexes for each turn. :chin:

Understood.

Silkster53 Wrote:As Tiger88 said, let us know when we can look forward to updating our patch. :)

cheers

As soon as I wrap up the little things I am doing, and the EXE's have been tested to ensure there are no additional glitches, it will be released.

Assuming I don't have a major computer problem *knocks on wood* I am hoping to send the finished update to Matrix in a week or two.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
07-30-2008, 06:29 AM,
Thanks again. :)
I think you and others would be surprised to know that I voted for a compromise between the two and not a complete rollback to the old assault rules. :smoke:

I cringe when you say I will not be happy. I can deal with the disappointment as long as it is not what it is now. :(
Ideally I would have liked both rule changes to have been optional.

And, again, I know you are working hard on this. I've toned down my complaining and will throw a simple criticism in now and then. :rolleyes:

cheers
07-30-2008, 06:35 AM,
Silkster53 Wrote:I cringe when you say I will not be happy. I can deal with the disappointment as long as it is not what it is now.

The only reason I said that, of course, was that it wasn't reverted to the pre-1.03 rules. But they were eased up, so you should find them better and more successful than the 1.03 rules.

It still may take a couple tries in some cases, but victory will be yours.

I will explain more what I mean by that when the new rules are official and released.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
07-30-2008, 07:23 AM,
Smedley Wrote:A little poll to see what the concensus is.

Rob
I usually "lurk" and don't post here all that often. When I do post it's usually to say "thank you" to the guys who make the Blitz a place I have enjoyed for the last 8 or so years. I too am really unhappy with the ver 1.03 assault rule changes...not because they do or don't more accurately reflect real combat, but because they fundamentally alter the game itself and how it is played. The game is an abstraction and we could sit here forever and argue about how to quantify every little aspect of a battle without ever coming up with the "right" answer. The magic of the CS series for me has alwys been that it came pretty damn close to capturing a perfect balance of realism and playability. Why else would a game, that in this age of computer games is as old as the Dead Sea Scrolls, still command such a following? I am concerned that these changes have damaged that balance between realism and playability. All that said I have confidence that Jason and crew will set things right. I've had my say, now I have turns I owe people.cheers