• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Military Engineering in PzC
05-08-2009, 12:53 AM,
RE: Military Engineering in PzC
JDR Dragoon Wrote:If the job has been done properly it would be necessary. The only thing standing of the birdge would be the supports on either shoreline plus perhaps some wrecked columns midstream. The span itself would be totally wrecked.

I was thinking more of bridges over streams not major rivers.
And since when did the military do everything 'properly' :)
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2009, 01:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2009, 01:12 AM by Lien Leposh.)
James Ward Wrote:
JDR Dragoon Wrote:If the job has been done properly it would be necessary. The only thing standing of the birdge would be the supports on either shoreline plus perhaps some wrecked columns midstream. The span itself would be totally wrecked.

I was thinking more of bridges over streams not major rivers.

So by stream you are meaning say up to 6 feet (2 m) wide, steep sides (big enough to lose your vehicle in), brush and scrub at one end of the spectrum and perhaps a trickling brook through a marshy soggy mess (no traction sink up to the axles) at the other?
Even these you couldnt just fill them in and forget them...

How generally available were scissors bridges and other sexy toys throughout the war? Or was it all much simpler and ad-hoc than that?
05-08-2009, 03:25 AM,
Lien Leposh Wrote:So by stream you are meaning say up to 6 feet (2 m) wide, steep sides (big enough to lose your vehicle in), brush and scrub at one end of the spectrum and perhaps a trickling brook through a marshy soggy mess (no traction sink up to the axles) at the other?
Even these you couldnt just fill them in and forget them...

I was tinking more like the ones near my home, with all sorts of place I can drive my SUV over :)
05-08-2009, 03:27 AM,
James Ward Wrote:I was thinking more of bridges over streams not major rivers.

Whether it is a stream or a river, the principles are the same. And engineers tends to be very anal about doing a good job ;). Besides, if you are fighting on your own soil, the necessary amount of explosive needed to render a bridge terminally inoperable will allready have been calculated in peacetime. All you have to do is dig out the relevant paperwork, lower the given amount of explosives into the in-built demolition well and away you go :kill:
Send this user an email
05-08-2009, 04:13 AM,
One thing really sucks about bridges and engineers. Just when you finish that bridge that took 3 full days to build over the major river hexside it freezes and you can cross where ever you like!! :)
05-08-2009, 04:26 AM,
Or you capture an undemolished bridge after a ferry crossing anyway :).
[Image: exercise.png]
05-08-2009, 04:33 AM,
What sucks even more is now the bridge appears to be stuck in the ice. 3 days and I still can't get it dismantled. AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
05-08-2009, 04:44 AM,
As a matter of interest only, here's a link to a short article about modern (US) wartime bridging operation.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/s...idging.htm
05-09-2009, 05:19 PM,
Maybe I am over reaching, but I considered the engineer unit maintaining the bridge to include the bridge guard and other security, supply and other troops not really represented with counters in the game. Even bridges which become behind the lines after a day or so would have some form guard, (I would think). At least more than a pair of guys walking up and down it like in the movies. Especially in the time frame of the scenarios in these games.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp