• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First impression report Attacking disrupted units
07-13-2008, 12:15 AM,
RE: First impression report Attacking disrupted units
I about to dust off my old Matrix first release. I may get a few years out of the "old girl" until she breaks.
Obviously Matrix has decided to move away from the CS that we love and force us to play a game we do not want?
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2008, 12:17 AM,
I have all the old Talonsoft versions, despite having just bought the Matrix version, but are all the patches for the Talonsoft versions still available?
07-13-2008, 12:52 AM,
Fubar Wrote:I have all the old Talonsoft versions, despite having just bought the Matrix version, but are all the patches for the Talonsoft versions still available?

I think we might have them in the dBASE. I have my old original Matrix re-release of the game.
I'm at a point where I do not care if there are patches to the old stuff. :(:chin:
07-13-2008, 01:40 AM,
Fubar Wrote:I have all the old Talonsoft versions, despite having just bought the Matrix version, but are all the patches for the Talonsoft versions still available?

If anyone needs them, I have all the old Talonsoft patches kicking around. Ed is right that you could always reinstall the original Matrix version and have something pretty close to the patched up Talonsoft versions.
07-13-2008, 01:47 AM,
I still have all the old Talonsoft patchs if neede. ;)

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
07-13-2008, 01:55 AM,
My opponent (Otlig) seems to have adapted to the new rules pretty fast. He made a couple of succesful assaults at the right moment and with sufficient power apparently.
We have a good game going on that doesn't seem to be affected in any negative way by the new rules.
I do need to play some more games before drawing final conclusions as to whether I like the new rules or not.

Obviously the bugs, that leaders and unarmed vehicles are not being overrun instantly have to be corrected.

Huib
07-13-2008, 01:58 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:<snip>
Want to ensure an assault? HA.... bring a Company then, not a squad.. Oh and use a leader :)

Apparently, you have not read Tiger88's post over at Matrix? I think his example was a single leader holding off a company of infantry, support vehicles, and bunch of SP/AT's platoons.

Oh, I can see the assault rules were changed for the better! Blah! Come back with a realistic game example.

If a combat unit cannot assault and overrun a non-combat unit, as in my example of the Soviet scout car against the lone artillery HT schleper, then you have no idea of what you all have done in changing the game? I'd like to see the German HT driver peeing on the scout car to stop it.

Yes, you guys added realism to the game!

RedDevil Wrote:**** edited because it's obviously humor not worthy here.

And, no, contrary to your edit, humor is allowed here. Talking down, belittling, and lording over members of the CS Forum has never been allowed by anyone while on my watch.

As part of the Beta Brigade 'cabal' and a proponent of the new crappy assault rules, I expected that you would not come here to pump up the new rule while putting others down for not wanting it.

You need to remember that all those who play and report CS games here have done so with the old rules.
Changing the game itself will make more than just changes to the game, eh?
07-13-2008, 04:37 AM,
Greetings,

After reading some of the reports on assaults, both here and at Matrix, I did a very simple test in EF. Three separate areas, in clear terrain. A Russian HQ, leader, and an empty truck. All surrounded by German infantry. Both sides not disrupted. The HQ was overrun on the first attempt. The leader survived 3 successive assaults (each was a no effect or harm to the Germans) before being overrun. The empty truck survived four successive assaults!
I can only imagine what the results would have been if they were in a town or an IP.
I'm joining some of the older guys here in the displeasure of the changes. I'll keep the game, I just won't start any new battles with it, I enjoy my Talonsoft Gold editions. I hope a 1.03b would be released quickly, but until then, I'm not playing it.
Send this user an email
07-13-2008, 04:43 AM,
keif149 Wrote:Greetings,

After reading some of the reports on assaults, both here and at Matrix, I did a very simple test in EF. Three separate areas, in clear terrain. A Russian HQ, leader, and an empty truck. All surrounded by German infantry. Both sides not disrupted. The HQ was overrun on the first attempt. The leader survived 3 successive assaults (each was a no effect or harm to the Germans) before being overrun. The empty truck survived four successive assaults!
I can only imagine what the results would have been if they were in a town or an IP.
I'm joining some of the older guys here in the displeasure of the changes. I'll keep the game, I just won't start any new battles with it, I enjoy my Talonsoft Gold editions. I hope a 1.03b would be released quickly, but until then, I'm not playing it.

The fact that the truck and leader survived is a bug obviously. Nobody could have possibly intended that. I'm sure that will be fixed asap.
07-13-2008, 05:24 AM,
Some of the changes sound excellent but it seems they made too many changes without making them optional. I'm having a hard time with the disruption/assault change in my PBEM but I might get used to it.
The visibility and save game changes I hate. No idea yet how the artillery v Armour change will work out - it seems like a good idea but I hope it's not overdone.

I happen to be playing one of my own scenarios PBEM at the moment and I can see fixed units coming under fire before they have a chance to unfix due to visibility changes and AT guns that were in good positions to ambush exposed early and destroyed by artillery - the balance of the scenario is now skewed.

I wouldn't know this if I wasn't playing my own scenario but this must affect the balance of many old scenarios.

I'm only using 1.03 as I have games in progress and my opponents have updated. After this I hope I can find a pool of players to play against using 1.02 or the Talonsoft version.

I do appreciate all the work done and the many great additions to the game but for me at the moment the bad outweighs the good.

Cheers, Chris