• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Battleground Civil War questions
07-09-2008, 06:57 PM,
Battleground Civil War questions
Hi,

I have recently purchased the Matrix bundle and I am having some fun learning the ropes against the AI. I tried using the search engine to find out about these two questions, but nothing showed up, so I hope these questions have not been asked before, although I suspect they have.

Q1. I am led to believe that deploying skirmishers (I''ve only played Shiloh so far, so I'm not sure if you can deploy them in every game?) allows you to see further ahead in wooded terrain. Is it simply a case opf extending your LOS 1 hex in any terrain that blocks LOS? And what happens if the extra hex of LOS you gain from skirmishers extends into a hex which has a good LOS over many clear hexes, do you then gain all the benefits of that hex's LOS? And lastly, does deploying skirmishers mean that the unit suffers any combat penalties?

Q2. What combat use do cavalry have when mounted, can they melee and what melee strength do they have. Can they overrun guns and supply wagons when mounted?

Thanks in advance for any help, and hopefully I will soon meet some of you on the battlefield.

Cheers

Alasdair
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM,
RE: Battleground Civil War questions
HiHi

Hello Alsistair and welcome to the Ladder, in answer to your questions

Q1 yes you can use skirmishers in every game (units diolouge/deploy-recall skirmishers), it extends by 1 hex the sight for the 3 front facing hex sides of your unit, you will see a Blue or Buff ? if enemy units occupy the hex but no details as to the unit (unless you can see them anyhow) if FoW is on (not sure without, never use it)

The unit must be over 100 strong and not disrupted to deploy (note, units that already have skirmishers deployed and then become disrupted still keep their skirmishers, as do units that drop below 100 through combat loss)

It costs 1 movement point to deploy-recall, and an extra 1pt when advancing, I think in combat the firepower of the unit is redused by 100, but not sure, I just bang away & hope :-)

Q2 Yes cav can do all those things when mounted and as far as I know they melee at their unit strenght. Word of Warning re Chickamauga, they altered the rules slightly there and cav will disrupt when monting/dismounting if not done on a road/trail or on a clear Hex, so for eg if you want to advance cav in line through some woods do it before entering the woods! Cav can also deploy skirmishers, but remember cav are like arty, when deployed into line they cant fire in that turns Offensive fire phase.

Suggest when you are ready for combat with real folk you do a small battle eg 'Give them rocks' (4 turns) off BR to get a feel for the game against real inteligance you also get out of Bootcamp quicker.

Gonna see if I can find a post I did sometime ago which has dropped of the front page, it has some tips for Bootcampers, I'll give it a nudge up the posts. It ain't pretty as it's cut & paste from various emails but there may be some stuff there you find useful.

Hope this answers your questions OK, come back if not.

All the Best
Peter

All the best
Peter
07-10-2008, 01:19 AM,
Thanks Peter,

That's cleared up those points for me, and I'll take a look at your advice for Bootcampers, it looks very useful. I hope to issue a small battle challenge over the next couple of weeks. I really like the game, played some Gettysburg a long time ago and only against the AI, so I've forgotten most of what I had learned.

Cheers

Alasdair
07-10-2008, 05:19 AM,
HiHi

Your welcome, when you are ready if you get stuck for an oponant let me know, I'll certainly do a small one to get you out of Bootcamp but at the moment Alasdair no guarantee re further games, it depends on how many games I have on at the time.

All the Best
Peter