• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modding unit graphics
07-05-2008, 05:41 AM,
Modding unit graphics
I would like to modify the units.bmp and do not know how to do this, for example replace the pictures with some of the PzC series. Is there a way to do this, probably a tutorial and free programme to do this somewhere to be found? :conf:

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2008, 06:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-05-2008, 06:30 AM by Lowlander.)
RE: Modding unit graphics
Have you looked at the " new figure mod for Eagles Strike " by z1812 which is on page 4 of this board.

Have found that it gives the game a Squad Leader boardgame effect.

And although not designed or art perfect for the rest of the series, have found that it works with most games except The Korean War.

Just save the original files prior to install just in case it's not to your liking.

Have said this before but it's a pity the Talonsoft Campaign Series 3D art could'nt be ported over to these games, but most players seem to prefer 2D which is where the above mod enhances the game.
07-05-2008, 08:21 AM,
Thanks, Lowlander. I had this mod already installed in ES and it looks great in AotR too. I am currently modding the units.bmp in the info folder, adding pictures from the PzC series and am making some progress.

Tom
07-05-2008, 05:21 PM,
the links for the mod are located at the wargamer website which is currently under construction.
07-11-2008, 12:42 AM,
Hi Tom,

This how I mod the units.bmp. I will consider that you know the basics of your art program. If you have any questions post them here. Remember to archive your work so you don't lose it. I add the date to each subsequent step and save so I always know where I am. Backup originals.

1. Create a new folder in your c: directory. Call it what ever you like. I call mine Game Art. Make a copy of the file you wish to mod to the Game Art folder. In this case the units.bmp.

1. Open the BMP file in your art program. Save it with a different name to the Game Art folder you have just made so you do not loose the original file. For our purposes call the file workunits. Now you should have 2 files both the same. One is called units and the other is called workunits.

2. Now with the workunits file open in your art program use a grid or guidelines function in your art program to seperate each image equally in the file.

You should end up with the bmp file seperated into equal squares with an image in each square.

3. Now use a mask wand ( selector ) and click on the colour of the
background.

This creates a mask on the back ground.

Then use the invert selection command. The actual unit images will be selected and masked.

4. Delete the selected images. Cancel the mask. You should be left with empty spaces where the heads were and the background colour surrounding them. The Guidelines or grid should still be visible.

5. Use a stamp or clone tool to colour in all of the the " empty spaces ".

6. You should now have an empty bmp file but for the background colour and your grid or guidelines.

At this point save it again with the name units template. Now you always have a template to use for future unit mods you may want to do.

7. Now take the images you wish to use for units. Size them to fit in the box separations. Remeber that 2 or 3 horiziontal lines represent each section of infantry. You may open your units.bmp file as a comparision to be sure you have the sections right.

8. Now create one more folder in the game art folder. Call it SB units bmp 1. Save your work there as a units.bmp. You may then copy it to your appropriate SB game file and test it in game.

I hope this helps you and perhaps others to start modding.

Regards John
07-12-2008, 02:57 AM,
Thanks, John! I highly appreciate your help. Guess I have to get more familiar with Paint.Net or a similar programme as I have problems using the grid function. So far I just use IrfanView and MS Paint and the functions copy - paste.

Tom
07-19-2008, 01:00 AM,
I am also trying to do the same - not much luck. Was wondering if you have made any progress?
07-19-2008, 01:06 AM,
Never Mind - I figured it out and it works fine