• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How do I stop this from happening?
07-04-2008, 04:28 PM,
RE: How do I stop this from happening?
I think you are right DK, I am sure that the squad will always fire on the tank and button it before it tries to grenade the tank.
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2008, 04:40 PM,
There's a good chance of killing a TC with small arms, but a lower chance of killing a tank with a grenade, so the infantry play the best odds and spray it first, then follow up with grenades, i've no beef with that..:)
07-04-2008, 05:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2008, 12:42 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Infantry won't fire small-arms against buttoned tanks

This time I buttoned the T-34 before setting it rolling.
I left the infantry on 'free-fire' (no arc, no hide), and the first squad threw a grenade (ringed) when the tank got near, scoring a Hit (inset), he and the other squads never sprayed it with small arms because it was buttoned.
For the record the Hit did no damage and the tank kept rolling, still buttoned, with all the squads watching it but not firing SA.
One more grenade was thrown later in the turn by another squad (miss) making a total of 2 thrown during the turn.
The tank never spotted any squads because it was buttoned.
Interestingly, the tank auto-unbuttoned in the last few seconds of the turn and the squads immediately began small-arming him and he quickly buttoned back up, confirming that if infantry get a clear shot at an unbuttoned TC they'll take it (unless on 15m arcs and Hide)
Tactical note- the test shows you want enemy tanks to approach your inf buttoned so they'll hurl grenades at it rather than spray it, so it might be a good idea to order a squad or MG/ light mortar etc (behind the front line somewhere) to fire at tanks to force them to button before they get close to your front line grenade-throwers.

[Image: grend.gif]
07-05-2008, 11:32 PM,
Good test thanks.
07-06-2008, 02:53 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Tactical note- the test shows you want enemy tanks to approach your inf buttoned so they'll hurl grenades at it rather than spray it, so it might be a good idea to order a squad or MG/ light mortar etc (behind the front line somewhere) to fire at tanks to force them to button before they get close to your front line grenade-throwers.

Good advice - unless the tank happens to roll up already buttoned and then suddenly unbuttons before the guys can throw grenades like in my case. :(
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift