• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
06-28-2008, 06:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2008, 06:31 PM by Osiris.)
RE: Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
Hi Jason

Its a cool idea but if all scenarios are being affected, including stock scenarios than i agree with the bunch of people here..not that i have any weight in this conversation..so heres a solution:

Delay the patch for another week or 2 and stick a on and off button for this option! or take it out of the patch and re-work it for patch 1.04 to get bugs out of it..I think from what I have read everyone likes the idea it just needs to be tweaked..Thats all it takes

have a nice day everyone

osiris
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2008, 07:19 PM,
I think it should be an option or at least not in every turn but for example per 10 or more. 6 minutes per turn, 10 turns is hour. In one hour is possible that clouds will cover the sun and visibility will be lower or fog will be thinner and gives better visibility. But checking by program % chance that visibility will change in every turn is little exaggeration for me.
06-28-2008, 09:47 PM,
It sounds like a great idea. I applaud every effort to loosen the rigid FOW.

But every turn? Player 1 can benefit from improved LOS range and (an unlucky) player 2 can loose the new LOS in his turn. Is that how it works?

If so, then I agree with von Manstein that it should not happen every turn. Having it as an option would be best in all cases.
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
06-28-2008, 10:20 PM,
Jason,

I like the LOS idea as a option that can be selected for certain scenarios(like the armor facing rule), but can be turned off if it is agreed to by both PBEM opponents. I think many would like it as an option, but others only want it for scenarios where the weather was unstable.

Being able to choose to use this option (or not) at the beginning of the game would resolve the problem.
Thanks always!
06-28-2008, 10:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2008, 10:45 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
Gordons HQ Wrote:Perhaps it will defeat shooting and scooting armies Hurray !!!:)

And perhaps not. Perhaps, you are watching your opponent and a good portion of your troops are out of line of sight. Then, as you titter away at what a genius you have been to set up such a great ambush, the visibility changes and you no longer are hiding.

All in a six minute timeframe?
I honestly do not mind that it is there for the designer who is creating a scenario that is "out of scale" or covers "a period of days" in one game. Then visibility might change?
I know if I go outside with a stop watch and click every six minutes, and record how far I can see, I do not think I will lose 250 meters of visibility? I think only in a violent thunderstorm could that happen.

I'm not trying to beat anyone up. I'm even aceding to those who wish to design out of the originally intended game "scale" (which is still listed in the manual. And, even if taken out of the manual it is still the coded scale of the game engine itself. You may be able to erase all reference to the Battle of Waterloo on the physical grounds, but it won't remove the historic battle that took place there?)

I'm only for making changes that can be options when they so drastically effect each and every play by e-mail game I have going. Hell, you should see what the armor halved and halved again effects are having on some of my games! Eek
Don't give me a visibility variable that is like playing hide and seek where you hide by simply putting your fingers over your eyes?

cheers
06-29-2008, 12:03 AM,
Hi,

as i say`d in the Matrix forum, the random change should be :

a, optional

b, if aktive, more smart - not on all places of the world the wehater changes
on all months in the year every day ... [in sibiria and in winter this is maybe
more happen than in France in a nice summer day ... and it comes to the initate
visibility and conditions too - if fog allready then this will like change a way,
but on a normal day with only few clouds this can stay for hours.

c, make it in control for scenario/LCG designers like :

Turn 1-5 stay at 7
Turn 6-15 varys from 7 +/- 3 in the now implement way
OR
Turn 6-15 varys from 7 +3/-1 in the now implement way
Turn 16-25(end) raise to 8 as fast as possible and stay at 8

only a second quick draft ;)

and to say it ... i think that many things that should happen in "6min turns"
a bit unrealistic too ...

This should be over-thinked in general.
Remove wreks in maybe half point per turn
Lay mines in half point
Build bridges in an quarter point
Weahter change more like all 3 or 4 turns, only with very low percent in 1 turn
and only by still low-visibility conditions [fog/rain/snow]

The new futures look VERY NICE .. but i see it mora as e first
implement and hope for more fine adjustment in the next patches.
Doing all this stuff in 6minutes looks not good in the overall realy realistic
Game.

R-TEAM
06-29-2008, 04:07 AM,
When I first heard about dynamic visibility I thought about it in the way Umbro used in scenario depicting battle for Leros or Huib was trying to depict in his "Dutch Verdun". That at very specific turn the visibility changes due to the time of the day or weather conditions. But in the moment that designer wanted it to have changed. I wouldn't leave it to pure % chance Fiery

Optional it make, the best it will be!
"We do not beg for Freedom, we fight for it!"

http://swalencz.w.interia.pl
06-29-2008, 04:33 AM,
Valor Wrote:When I first heard about dynamic visibility I thought about it in the way Umbro used in scenario depicting battle for Leros or Huib was trying to depict in his "Dutch Verdun". That at very specific turn the visibility changes due to the time of the day or weather conditions. But in the moment that designer wanted it to have changed. I wouldn't leave it to pure % chance Fiery

Optional it make, the best it will be!

Looks like optional is winning.

Unfortunately, it won't take effect until the 1.04 UPDATE as it is too late for the 1.03 UPDATE.

Give it a whirl in the meantime, there were no complaints about it in testing.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
06-29-2008, 04:36 AM,
Were there any complaints about all the other "features" being discussed here and at Matrix?
06-29-2008, 04:50 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:Looks like optional is winning.

Unfortunately, it won't take effect until the 1.04 UPDATE as it is too late for the 1.03 UPDATE.

Give it a whirl in the meantime, there were no complaints about it in testing.

Jason Petho

It was one of the last things that was added during beta phase: I think that's why it didn't surface during playtesting, simply because most tests were already done by the time it was added. I do hope there will be a fast 1.03b fix for this. 1.04 is at least a year away isn't it.