• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Jihad Opponent Wanted
06-20-2008, 09:09 PM,
Jihad Opponent Wanted
Hi im looking for some one to play Israel in Jihad Campaign with US and Iraq involvment with the following rules:
-Recon Spotting
-Night Fatigue
-Programmed Weather
-Indirect Fire and Air Strikes by the map
-Counterbattery Fire
-Limited Air Recon

Any takers? we can start it on Sunday:)
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2008, 10:11 PM,
RE: Jihad Opponent Wanted
Ready when you are. Even if you want to start it today, I'm game. My email is [email protected]
06-20-2008, 11:56 PM,
Turn Send:)
06-22-2008, 09:44 PM,
Hi

Jihad looks to be a very interesting game. What's the effect of the SAM site ?

Thanks
06-23-2008, 03:57 AM,
When SAM counters are in use, a range is given for them in the PDT file. When an air strike occurs within this radius then the SAM may intercept and turn away the air strike. On top of these I put explicit SAM units. Jihad 2004 was my experiment in the sense that I also put SAM units on the map which function as a sort of high powered HAA. I think some other user created content may of carried that forward since then as well, so you might have seen it after that, but I could be wrong. SAM units do add an interesting additional layer to the game, but they aren't particularly necessary I guess.
Send this user an email
06-23-2008, 04:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2008, 04:48 AM by Spooky.)
Well Volcano i say those SAM units in ME are great addition!!!!:)

BTW i think missile SAMs should have indirect fire...
06-25-2008, 06:11 AM,
Giving the SAM units indirect fire won't do anything for their AA attacks. Given how the game works, the AA attack is strictly LOS against helicopter units and always gets executed against air attacks within range of the AA unit (unless it is a heavy bomber or recon air craft then the AA unit my be type HAA).
Send this user an email
06-25-2008, 05:34 PM,
Well i in bolt out of the blue scenario soviet sam's have indirect fira capability and they attack choopers without LOS:)
06-26-2008, 02:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2008, 03:00 AM by Volcano Man.)
I haven't messed with Jihad '04 since maybe, six years ago. But from what I remember (it is slowly coming back to me), I experimented with the IF flag and felt that it was unrealistic.

Helicopters fly low enough (through NOE) that radar guided SAMs cannot effectively engage them at the same ranges that they can engage aircraft. They basically need an LOS to the target to pick them up on radar, of course this also has its disadvantages such as with night conditions and SAM units only being able to fire at one hex. It would not make sense to simply give every SAM unit in the OOB the IF rating, because the high altitude SAM units would be able to unrealistically pick off helicopters at 40km range.

That said, I probably went to the extreme by restricting all SAM units from IF capability, I could probably give the IF flag to the short range SAM units such as the SA-8 SP SAM, SA-9 SP SAM and M730 Chapparal SP SAM and that would make more sense. I will probably do that eventually, however there are still questionable mechanics involved where the helicopter must first be spotted by a third party to be engaged by the SAM.

Anyway, I may give the flag to the short range / IR SAM units as mentioned, but in the mean time it won't make much difference since there are only a handful of those units in the OOB.
Send this user an email
06-26-2008, 03:44 AM,
Hey VM,

When you are changing this one, a further suggest I have is to cut the air interdiction values. I played Fury, he was Arab, for a number of turns of this one, and his score was negative due to the heavy losses he suffered while moving up to the battle areas. The Israeli losses weren't nearly as high as the Arab air has weaker ratings overall, I think. Anyway, Tet2 and I plan on giving it a try and I adjusted the values for our play to 4% chance down from 6%, and cut the effectiveness to 15% from 25%, IIRC.

Just a thought, but seeing his forces capture objectives and still be negative made it a tough battle for the Arabs, I think.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]