• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

V1.03 -The Downside
06-16-2008, 09:07 AM,
RE: V1.03 -The Downside
Huib, I don't agree on the stability of the game as presented now... the naval garbage and ridiculous aurfield aeroplanes hardly promote that quality. Remove them, fine.
I do think the air side (which cannot really be taken out of a WWII era simulation) needs work done by people who understand air power in principle and detail, which does not seem the case.* I fully agree with your other points, particularly eye candy, although I find it hard to believe a Dutchman would want windmills!!! What next, a Bols distillery?

* further small examples...airfield aircraft include the German JU86, effectively obsolete by WWII although retained in small numbers because of its high altitude, and the Sov SU-2 used in small numbers. The Ilyushin Il-2 does not get a mention, despite having been built in greater numbers than any other military aircraft.
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2008, 09:47 AM,
Whilst I understand the complexities of bitching and moaning about somethings.
IMO Jason is very patient and laid back in dealing with complaints that are spelled out like this thread has developed.. I personally would be less forgiving and certain more vocal in my responses, but that's the Irish in me :)

I greatly suggest a different theme or approach in protesting your dislikes. These Beta guys do it for the love of the game, piss them off or what not and it ends and you'll get nothing more than what you have now.

Creating and continued expansion of the CS series is a step by step process. What you hate now, you may cherish later once it has been brought to maturity. Let's have a little patience and enjoy the other new goodies this time around. Development takes months, testing takes months, changes don't occur overnight, especially at Matrix Games.

Again, Criticism of effort needs to be constructive or it's merely chronicled as a waste of time better spent elsewhere.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-16-2008, 10:38 AM,
Greatly suggest away. I have a little of the Irish in me, too.
I offer an educated critique for love of the game, not to hurt it. The old ploy of "Oh...how dare you criticise all that effort.".... I've heard a million times before. I fully understand the need for the development process. I have acknowledged that V1.03 contains much great stuff, which enhances the game....surely the aim of all the effort.
I cannot, however, mindlessly accept outcomes which, because of their comic incapacity, damage the game.
06-16-2008, 11:13 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:I don't agree on the stability of the game as presented now... the naval garbage and ridiculous aurfield aeroplanes hardly promote that quality. Remove them, fine.
I do think the air side (which cannot really be taken out of a WWII era simulation) needs work done by people who understand air power in principle and detail, which does not seem the case.* I fully agree with your other points, particularly eye candy, although I find it hard to believe a Dutchman would want windmills!!! What next, a Bols distillery?

K K Rossokolski Wrote:I offer an educated critique for love of the game, not to hurt it.

Your implications that the above post is educated critique baffles me as it appears to be ranting and sarcastic.
I'd like to point out it's not constructive in its current state.
I'm not going to start suggesting anything beyond constructive approaches..

Reality check here, but they're not going away, they're going to be improved and utilized.
The units in question will not hamper or deviate from one's gaming experience at this time with the exception of scenarios that utilize them. There are over 1500 scenarios available, I'm sure you can find something to enjoy that these units won't be involved in, and all the while we bring them to maturity, which at that point you may like them, or not.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-16-2008, 11:44 AM,
I was not aware that The Blitz had a style manual for comment on the MBs....perhaps you would be kind enough to let me have a copy. Nor was I aware that sarcasm is verboten . A lifelong habit, I'm afraid.
Ranting...I think not,..and certainly not carrying the implication of a threat, as your earlier post did. I quote "I personally would be less forgiving and certain more vocal" and "I greatly suggest a different theme or approach." I've seen the elephant, pal, try selling threats elsewhere, we don't need 'em here.

And as for educated critique, I could be forgiven for thinking that a working life in the Navy gives me some right to consider myself educated in naval matters.
06-16-2008, 06:56 PM,
Rod,
With "stable" I meant technically: crash free, working on Vista etc. It's always a big "?" if a game is still running without crashing after the exe files have been modified and compiled. We had a major hick up during the beta time but it was tackled by the programmer fortunately.

Huib
06-16-2008, 10:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM by RedDevil.)
As I said Rod, YOUR attempts to criticize the work of the beta brigade is not constructive, nor respectable in it's presentation.
I could care less for such a representation of education that is arrogant and sarcastically demonstrated as an acceptable course of discussion.

You may have credentials of naval knowledge and experience, but you certainly offered nothing that helps the designers in their efforts to bring it to the game. This is what makes your argument stale and lacking of substance.
Put something on the plate, rather than fill the room with hot air "educating" us on how it's so imperfect.

BTW, I did not make any threats. I did suggest you tone it down and show some respect in presenting your argument.
Being sarcastic works with humor and is not verboten here, however when used during discussion of criticizing efforts of people's work, it does come across wrong and unacceptable.
Being a bit respectful of one's work to bring more to the game you love is not too much to ask, especially since they do it for FREE!

So, with that in mind, why don't you get back to presenting valid arguments on the units in question, rather than trying to defend the current method of presentation, which no one cares for.
06-16-2008, 10:29 PM,
Mr. RoadRunner Wrote:My son thinks I am a dour curmudgeon who can never be pleased. Eek

Don't worry Ed its not just your son that thinks that! :whis:

Thanx!
06-16-2008, 10:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2008, 10:42 PM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
K K Rossokolski Wrote:I was not aware that The Blitz had a style manual for comment on the MBs....perhaps you would be kind enough to let me have a copy. Nor was I aware that sarcasm is verboten . A lifelong habit, I'm afraid.
Ranting...I think not,..and certainly not carrying the implication of a threat, as your earlier post did. I quote "I personally would be less forgiving and certain more vocal" and "I greatly suggest a different theme or approach." I've seen the elephant, pal, try selling threats elsewhere, we don't need 'em here.

And as for educated critique, I could be forgiven for thinking that a working life in the Navy gives me some right to consider myself educated in naval matters.

Allright Rod,

You have tangled a bit with Ed, Randy has now warned you to tone it done.

Now I am telling you too. You need to cool your jets. All these optional features are being done for free with people's free time.

All I have seen from you is complaints with now offer of improvement or solution. This is also not a new behavior for you (you complain about the style of the message board too).

Here is a piece of advice for you.

Don't play the scenarios that have features (naval, on board aircraft, etc) that you don't like.

Also your next attack on the beta brigade or patch 1.03 is going to be moderated.

Come to the table with something constructive.

You may wish to review the Rules of Engagement again to see where you are being out of line.

I hope that is clear for you.

Thanx!
06-16-2008, 10:49 PM,
You know - I just don't get people sometimes......I can understand speaking your mind or offering an opinion - but Randy is spot on with his comments. After reading some of the postings I was thinking the same thing - let’s just piss off the beta crew and have them say to all of us - the hell with you guys - shove it up your nose! Man - I for one DO NOT want that to happen. I also think that constructive feedback and critic are positive when they are laid out respectfully.

Jason and Huib and crew need to be hailed upon our shoulders and we need to thank them for their endless contributions to us spoiled players.