• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Across The Seine DAR
07-07-2008, 12:01 PM,
Turn 12
Capt. Miller is now about 400 or so yards behind the fighting trying to reorganize the remaining three Shermans available to him on the north flank.

He's getting reports of an American advance further into the city. Not much to show from Capt. Miller's perspective this turn.
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2008, 12:32 PM,
RE: Across The Seine DAR
Hi, good reading.

How can I see the tank trench in your first shot, the zoom out view? I rarely use the 2d views as they confuse me :o

Thanks
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM,
Tank trench
Paul,

Thank you.

The trench is represented by a gully. You can see it in the screen shot just below the 2D view on my 3rd posting of this DAR.
07-07-2008, 10:52 PM,
Yes I can see it in the 3d view. But I don't see a height variation in the 2d view. I think I see the escarpment by a brown line.
07-09-2008, 07:46 AM,
Turn 13
Captain Miller has rallied the Sherman platoon and before going down the slope and back into the city engaged a MG nest with little effect.

Reports of Germans retreating elsewhere in the city.
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM,
this is better than most tv shows.

Great DAR.

thanks a bunch.
07-12-2008, 10:27 PM,
Turn 15
Miller's Shermans are back on the front line and endured accurate German artillery and mortar fire. Fortunately the enemy's artillery did little damage anywhere along the American line.

Once the barrage stopped and the smoke cleared the reason for the accurate fire became apparent when well concealed German infantry and machine guns opened fire from the area around a train station located 500 meters away across a wide boulevard.

[Image: 15Beginning.jpg]

After firing the infantry retreated deeper into the city. Capt. Miller has now positioned his tank company to support an advance to the next VP hex and has called in artillery on a likely area that spotters could be hidden.

There is a lull in the fighting as we wait the German response.

[Image: 15End.jpg]
07-25-2008, 04:07 PM,
Turn 16
German artillery fire was ineffective this turn with the exception of a lucky shot that blew the treads off a Sherman disabling it.

The Germans counterattacked by Capt. Miller's position with two platoons of infantry but they were easily repulsed by op fire.

Screen shot of the beginning of the American turn.

[Image: 16Beginning.jpg]

A tough fight is developing for the 250 VP hex. American infantry was able to keep the German's heads down but could not force them from their positions. Miller directed an encirclement of the German infantry platoon caught out in the open along the boulevard. When half tracks were called forward they were ambushed by German infantry that were waiting patiently for easy targets (they did not fire at the American infantry that moved forward this turn). Two platoons of half tracks went up in flames before Miller ordered a platoon of Shermans to by-pass the platoon to the north and race down the boulevard back towards the American lines.

The German platoon was disorganized and fire from the enemy was sporadic and ineffective. Even so when the close assault was sprung by a Sherman platoons attacking from opposite directions the Germans just went to ground and let the tanks pass on by (new assault rules). In the screen shot below you can see the Germans still hold their positions.

[Image: 16End.jpg]
07-30-2008, 07:48 AM,
Turn 17
German artillery fire is just a nuisance. Hope it remains that way. Our spotters have noticed that German artillery is now also firing to the east and north. Capt. Miller is hoping that it means that Task Force Oden has arrived.

German SS troops fight hard for the 250 VP hex. A quick attack caused a couple of American casualties but our lines hold. The attackers disappear back into the buildings and side streets. Our artillery bursts amongst the buildings but our spotters think that it's not causing much damage.

A surreal moment during the fighting to see a whole caravan of German trucks fleeing to the south east (the improved position hex) on the other side of the river.

Toe to toe fighting. The Americans advance again covered by smoke laid by the Engineers.

[Image: 17American-1.jpg]
08-01-2008, 01:33 PM,
German artillery fire cuts up an Engineer platoon caught in the open.

The Germans pulled back from the 250 VP hex and bought in a mounted AA gun to sweep down the boulevard. Capt. Miller exposes his Sherman to a counter attack by moving into LOS of a 120mm platoon spotted on a hillside across the river. The Shermans could only disrupt the mortar squad but Miller has called in artillery for next turn on that position.

The Americans did not follow the retreating Germans in order to avoid their next defense line and the artillery we know that is coming.