• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Great Commanders
07-08-2008, 08:58 PM,
RE: Great Commanders
HiHi

disingenuous who ME!!?? Perish the thought :whis:

Well most of the Saxon inhabitants of England had no connection with Saxony either, still didn’t alter the fact that they were Saxon. decidedly French in word and deed, maybe by way of counter argument could I suggest that, for e.g. Scots, Welsh & Irish have been living in England for centuries, it doesn't alter their genetic heritage, or in most cases their allegiance i.e. they still regard themselves as of the Celtic nations, and William was at great pains to emphasise his decent from Rollo, but thats really a side issue.

There are those who would argue that putting the Fleur de Lis in the English Coat of Arms is a pearl beyond price. There because it's where they belong Paul, as I understand it, to de-legitimise (if there is such a word?) the French had to resurrect & implement a long out of use bit of law of the Salian Franks i.e. that the throne could only go through the male line, not sure but I think the French crown was actually through the line of Ripuarian Franks who came to dominate the Frankish peoples, which if true would make the rule change somewhat akin to say the laws relating to the election of the US president suddenly reverting to Native American rules! Eek

(although they left out the cash part of cash and carry). Nice one :thumbs_up:

Why else would the Danes have used you like an Ikea Store for a few 100 years?. However I would question that they had any interest in A-S culture unless it had gold involved.

And the Normans had a few skills to add to the mix: Domesday, creation of the office of the Exchequer, castle designs of unparalleled strength, not to mention the previously alluded to fact that he took this conquered nation and made it a model of what a Fuedal State should be...so much so, he ruled from Normandy from about 1070 (give or take) on, spending most of his time in France.

Mmmm :chin:, as the above was a counter proposal from a discussion about, William was great for no other reason than he put a little continental civilization into that daub and waddle mud hole of an island I can only conclude that our definitions re culture are somewhat ... err, “different?” :conf:; mine roughly revolves around things like literature, art, poetry, music etc. not, tax raising for fighting military campaigns in foreign lands and building castles (to keep a once Free (ish) people subjecated), done via the Doomsday book & the Exchequer.

You have made mention that the Feudal system imposed on England was well thought of in Europe, not sure where this comes from Paul (gotta a source/quote?), but frankly, piss on European opinion 50cal. As I have suggested previously, the Feudal system of the Normans made slaves of once Free men, those freedoms took centuries to regain (and as to what the Normans did for what would now be called 'Womans rights', well compare to A-S law it knocked them back to the Stone age!) it was in essence little more than slavery for Military rather than economic benefit.

he ruled from Normandy from about 1070 (give or take) on, spending most of his time in France. This if I remember correctly was through necessity as he was at war with both his own sons/kin and every neighbour within striking distance!

Y'all must have thought fairly highly of him too, at least at the time Hmm? Think overall we’ll give a :thumbs_down: to that. :)

All the Best
Peter
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2008, 10:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2008, 10:42 PM by Steel God.)
I think we shall have to accept that you and I share different points of view regarding William the Conqueror. ;) Not the least of which is the value to a society of military development. Personally I have always found that change in military science drives change in civilian science, and not vice versa.

I shall try and find some reference to England being the model fuedal society, but for the time being must beg off on the debate. Work to do I am afraid.

I can happily say that I have enjoyed our conversations more than anything I have done here at the Blitz in the past few months Peter. A pleasant discussion always, right or wrong. You're a gentleman and I salute you.

cheers
07-09-2008, 04:00 AM,
HiHi

I to have enjoyed these discussions Paul it's been a delight having to dig deep into the dim recesses of memory (it's staggering what still lurks there years after it seems erased from conscious memory!) to find reasonably sustainable arguments.

But as you suggest, it is time consuming and drifting into far wider areas than the orriginal brief + there are battles to be fought in cyberspace etc, so lets leave this with Honours even and agree to disagree re Will the Conk.

With respect and a Pint or 3 cheers

All the Best
Peter
08-06-2008, 05:59 AM,
HiHi

OK, it doesn’t look like anyone else is going to nominate their Great commanders so as it stands with 10 people putting forward suggestions, the voting went;

Alexander the Great 6
Napoleon 6
Admiral Nelson 5
Marlborough 3
Genghis Khan 3
Julius Caesar 3

Special category Prizes to Strykers nomination of "Boudicea - Queen of the Iceni and slayer of Romans", as she was the only lady; and the Wooden spoon for Pauls choice of William the conqueror, coz he was a Bastard (in more ways than one) ... Will the conk that is, not Paul. :)

Cheers to all who took part.

All the Best
Peter
08-06-2008, 08:40 PM,
The other Kingmaker Wrote:and the Wooden spoon for Pauls choice of William the conqueror, coz he was a Bastard (in more ways than one) ... Will the conk that is, not Paul. :)

Hey-he!! A wooden spoon for me, and a wooden box for Saxon Culture courtesy of King William. ;)
08-06-2008, 10:20 PM,
HiHi

Touché :)

All the Best
Peter