• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Latest Opinions on Assault/Defend PBEM Ratio
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2008, 10:44 PM by seabolt.)
RE: Latest Opinions on Assault/Defend PBEM Ratio
Narwan Wrote:At 21 VH's in a game... let's ask the mathemathician what that comes to.

Dudes, please. Any grognard worth his salt should have the formula 3r(r-1)+1 tattoed to his ... wrist.

A 3-hex radius is r=4 (center hex=1) for a total area of 12(3)+1 or 37 hexes within 3 hexes of each shotgunned VH, and 37*21=777 hexes to cover ...

... for a minimal mine expenditure of 1,554 points.

EDIT: Assuming no shotgunned VH is within 7 hexes of another! Overlap would cut the number a scootch.

-- 30 --
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2008, 04:04 PM,
Narwan Wrote:3 hex deep? That's what, 40 hexes? At 5 points per mine you've spend 200 points for a minefield with a density of 1 around the VH. At 21 VH's in a game... let's ask the mathemathician what that comes to. A valid tactic? Maybe. A stupid one for sure. When playing at 2:1 odds you simply don't have that kind of points left over. Which is where it keeps getting back at, if you play at 2:1 odds you don't have to come up with limitiations on minefields and other defensive goodies. The point spread takes care of it.

(This is an odd conclusion. What if you're playing a large game like 10000pts vs. 20000pts or higher? 200pts suddenly becomes reasonable.. especially if you hit the formation cap. :))
Never mind.. the original question was abstract and concerned a single VH but you've answered it well enough..

Narwan Wrote:"Hmm, this is a good place to put a straight line of mines, it would block off that avenue. Ohoh, can't do that cause there's a flag there!" That's just plain silly. VH are hexes just like any other and as such can be mined simply because it makes tactical sense (ie having nothing to do with there being a flag there).

Well, personally I would think: "Hmm, this is a good place to put a straight line of mines, it would block off that avenue. Damn, there's a flag here and it would be bloody gamey to put mines on it. Better find another place for my mines."

Narwan Wrote:You don't seem to understand the last-turn grab move. It doesn't have anything to do with having nothing to lose and everything with making suicide moves that can't be properly countered because the other side hasn't got a turn left to take out all those suicide runners.

:rolleyes:

And how will a mined VH deter player 2 from doing his suicide moves (gambling away his units because he has nothing to lose)?
Player 2 will attempt to move onto the VH whether there's a minefield or not. He may suffer casualties from the mines but it won't deter him. You have done nothing to the "far worse gamey tactic" [..] "that is the last-turn VH grab" by mining the VHs.

Narwan Wrote:And why would setting player 2 as the defender deter him from mining the flags? Explain that to me please. I don't see it.

Erhm.. because then the defender could do the "last-turn VH grab" to recapture lost VHs. By mining the VHs the defender would make it harder for himself. I don't claim it to be a very strong deterrent though.. :whis:

Narwan Wrote:I think you're vastly overestimating the usefulness of smoke for the attacker.

Impossible. Smoke is the attackers best friend. I would fill the entire map with two layers of smoke if I only had enough ammo. Big Grin
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
06-13-2008, 04:33 PM,
Why don't you cut the chit chat and play a game and see which one executes his arguments better on the battle field? I could also write about SP game tactics for days but it is just silly because no plan survives the first contact with enemy. Play the game instead of writing about it. I think that's how the game designer intended it to be used.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
06-13-2008, 09:05 PM,
You mean.. actually playing the game!? Eek

Nah.. no time for that. Too busy with the Euro'08.. cheers
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
06-13-2008, 10:42 PM,
Vesku Wrote:Why don't you cut the chit chat and play a game?

Uh, because we still can't agree on a force ratio? ;)

When I get off deadline I'll make a tiny spreadsheet to fix that!

-- 30 --