• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Updated Korea'85_Alt and Danube Front'85_Alt
06-22-2008, 04:09 AM,
RE: Updated Korea'85_Alt and Danube Front'85_Alt
Thanks Ed, you've clarified a number of points. I'm glad I was careful to point out that I don't have the experience of what happens later in the game, I take back what I said about the NKPA being better off "never" using WMD. (I didn't even know there would be M1's showing up later.)

As usual, these games display much more depth than the initial impression you get when you first look at the scenario. Apparently the pendulum will swing in the other direction later in the game. At that point, I can see that it will make more sense to use WMD. One of the reasons I wouldn't use chem wpns at the start is that, in many cases, I would be blocking my own avenues of advance. Of course, that would then become an advantage if my NKPA troops are being pushed back up North again.
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2008, 06:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2008, 06:45 AM by Volcano Man.)
You know, now that I think about, I just want to be sure not to stress the presence of the M1 in K85 too much. Off the top of my head I think there is only one CAV squadron (3-8?) of the 25th ID that shows up. Still, it can be wielded like sledge hammer against the T-55s and the T-62s of the NKPA. There is also a MLRS battalion in the division which is... as someone put it... devastating.

I think the real thing that puts the brakes on the NKPA is that the campaign is designed around the fact that the NKPA must grab up as many objectives as they can until the weather deteriorates, their supply levels start to drop (from the weather and factored in interdiction), and the arrival of US forces. One of these components isn't enough to stop the NKPA, but when they are taken as a whole it will usually come together and put the NKPA on the defensive from that point on (probably around the 22-26th June).

You are right about the chemicals (persistent) blocking your initial advance, another good reason to only use them when you think that you are going to be on the defensive from that point forward. It is good that you bring up WMD usage too. Knowing when or if to employ them is make or break the campaign. I would be interested to hear more observations.
Send this user an email
06-22-2008, 11:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2008, 11:17 AM by Al.)
Interesting dicussion on K85. I'm heading out for a week-long vacation tomorrow but would be interested in trying out a CG once I return (in case someone is intersted in waiting that long :whis: )
06-23-2008, 04:44 AM,
Is there a scenario for the real Korean War 1950-53?
06-24-2008, 05:41 AM,
Zemke Wrote:Is there a scenario for the real Korean War 1950-53?

Check out the forum on wargamer.com, someone "Seawolf" is working on this. I've been wishing for this scenario myself. Actually, there are numerous scenarios that could be done in addition to the campaign.
06-24-2008, 05:49 AM,
Volcano Man Wrote:You know, now that I think about, I just want to be sure not to stress the presence of the M1 in K85 too much. Off the top of my head I think there is only one CAV squadron (3-8?) of the 25th ID that shows up. Still, it can be wielded like sledge hammer against the T-55s and the T-62s of the NKPA. There is also a MLRS battalion in the division which is... as someone put it... devastating.

I think the real thing that puts the brakes on the NKPA is that the campaign is designed around the fact that the NKPA must grab up as many objectives as they can until the weather deteriorates, their supply levels start to drop (from the weather and factored in interdiction), and the arrival of US forces. One of these components isn't enough to stop the NKPA, but when they are taken as a whole it will usually come together and put the NKPA on the defensive from that point on (probably around the 22-26th June).

You are right about the chemicals (persistent) blocking your initial advance, another good reason to only use them when you think that you are going to be on the defensive from that point forward. It is good that you bring up WMD usage too. Knowing when or if to employ them is make or break the campaign. I would be interested to hear more observations.

Your analysis of this scenario is very informative. What you said in the previous post about knowing when the Allies should retreat is exactly what I've experienced in my game. So, if you're the Allied player, don't linger too long, especially with all the NKPA airborne between the front line and the reinforcing units.

As NKPA, I can barely wait for the excitement of MLRS playing on my infantry formations.
06-30-2008, 01:55 AM,
I experienced something else in this scenario for the first time, maybe somebody can explain this to me.

I moved some units onto mountaintops and then wasn't able to move them off again. These were units with less than 100 fatigue, not disrupted, no low fuel or ammo. Once they were on a mountain, I was unable to move them again from there to a clear terrain hex. Why is that?
06-30-2008, 08:06 AM,
What type of unit is it? Specifically, what is its movement class?
Send this user an email
06-30-2008, 09:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2008, 09:13 AM by Bigwig.)
alaric99x Wrote:I moved some units onto mountaintops and then wasn't able to move them off again. These were units with less than 100 fatigue, not disrupted, no low fuel or ammo. Once they were on a mountain, I was unable to move them again from there to a clear terrain hex. Why is that?

I had the same thing happen to me in B44 -- the weather warmed up, and a motorized infantry unit (dismounted) and a unit of M-8s (wheeled) suddenly found themselves in a marsh hex. Now they are stuck there, presumably until things freeze over again. Or until the Germans find them...
06-30-2008, 03:00 PM,
My stuck units were all "foot" movement types. 3 or 4 of them were the recon companies that start behind the DMZ and one was a standard NK infantry unit. The hexes were those rough terrain mountaintop hexes. They might have been stuck because of the weather, but I don't think so. If I remember correctly, the weather was clear and it was daytime.