• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Helicopters in Modern Campaigns
06-04-2008, 11:15 PM,
Helicopters in Modern Campaigns
First time using helicopters in Middle East '67, but I can't seem to find anything in the PDF manual on them. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Thank You,

DETURK
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2008, 05:21 AM,
RE: Helicopters in Modern Campaigns
Well I have Korea '85,I think u use them like regular units,but u can't assault them with ground units,only other air units.I remember on one scenario not getting these helicopers to budge.I think thats when you use mobile AA to take them down.Try that.
06-05-2008, 10:49 AM,
Deturk Wrote:First time using helicopters in Middle East '67, but I can't seem to find anything in the PDF manual on them. Can someone steer me in the right direction?
DETURK

Deturk:

I suspect you are playing a mod as there were no helicopter units in the original game, although a few units did arrive using helicopter movement in the reinforcements - but plays can't continue to move these units by air and there were no gunships

In any case the rules are in the user.pdf under MOVEMENT

++++

Helicopter Units

Certain units may be classified as Helicopter units. These units come in two varieties:

· Attack Helicopters – these units have a strength in Vehicles and do not carry any passengers.

· Utility Helicopters – these units are either Helo Recon units or are Helicopter Units with an inherent Infantry passenger component.

When helicopters are in Travel Mode, they are considered flying. When helicopters are Deployed (non-Travel Mode), they are considered on the ground. Helicopters that are not carrying infantry cannot fire or move while on the ground. The only helicopters that have a Zone-of-Control are those carrying infantry when on the ground.

Flying helicopters have several important attributes:

· Flying helicopters have a fixed movement rate of 4 MP per hex.

· Flying helicopters do not have Zone-of-Control movement restrictions and can move from one enemy Zone-of-Control to another.

· Flying helicopters can only be fired upon using the AA capability of the firing unit.

· Flying helicopters can fire, but cannot assault.

· Flying helicopters carrying infantry fire at ½ value but all other helicopters fire at normal value while flying.

· Flying helicopters can be assaulted, but the assault has no effect other than to displace the helicopter from the defending hex. When the helicopter has no valid retreat, then the assault has no effect.

· Flying helicopters cannot be Isolated.

· Flying helicopters cannot occupy Objectives and must land to do so.

Some helicopters are utility helicopters that carry inherent infantry passengers. This infantry is considered Deployed when the helicopter unit is not in Travel Mode. When Deployed, the unit can move using the normal Infantry movement characteristics.

Helicopters that are Low Fuel or Low Ammo must land before they are eligible to be resupplied.

Special Helicopter Movement

Although normal movement is limited to movement to an adjacent hex, there is a special helicopter movement feature which allows flying helicopters to move two hexes in a single action under certain conditions. This movement feature allows flying helicopters to move over and past enemy units that would otherwise block their movement.

To be eligible for this special movement, the following conditions must be true:

· The hex being moved over must contain enemy units.

· The hex being moved into must not contain enemy units.

· The helicopter performing the special move must be flying and must have at least 12 movement points remaining.

After making the move, the helicopter units are subject to Opportunity Fire from enemy units and this fire is tripled from its normal effect.

To perform the special helicopter movement, select the helicopters units as you would normally and then right click in the hex being moved into.

++++

Changes not yet in the game but coming after the next update will be:

- Added optional rule to prevent flying helicopters and non-man-carrying
helicopters from blocking the retreat of ground units.
- Change so that flying helicopters and any non-man-carrying helicopters
do not block supply.

Glenn
Send this user an email
06-10-2008, 05:45 AM,
Glenn,
Thank You very much. Yes we are playing on of Volcano's scenarios, the Jihad one. This is the only Modern Campaign I have ME '67 so I guess that is why I couldn't find it. I say something in my command report about artillery mines, is there a way to place them using your arty?
06-10-2008, 05:48 AM,
Yes, command menu for arty dialogue and click on alternate fire.
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM,
Thanks Josey, this club is great!