• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Replaying moves and the patch
06-10-2008, 07:22 AM,
RE: Replaying moves and the patch
Jason Petho Wrote:
Montana Grizz Wrote:How can one cheat by saving a game?

There are many ways, here are a few:

1. Saving your turn midgame, send out recce patrols to see where your opponent is sitting, restarting to the save game and continuing the turn with your knew found intelligence.

2. You have ambushed an enemy column, you save the game turn, you attack the ambushed column but you have had the worst die rolls imaginable... you reload the turn and try your like again from the save game point.

3. You are trying to capture a town on the last turn, you save the game turn, try assaulting and fail. You reopen the turn and try again, you assault and fail again. You reopen the turn and try again, you assault and succeed! You save and continue playing the turn.

4. You're playing the turn as normal, saving on occassion. You pass through a village with some loaded trucks and are suddenly ambushed, your company of panzergrenadiers is wiped out completely. You reload from your last save and ensure the mistake is not repeated.

There are many ways to cheat by saving and replaying, these are but a few reasons why someone would.

This is replaying and against club rules. Let alone very ungentlemanly like!

The save game warning is initiated after 2 saves. After that, it will report how many times a game has been saved.

Jason Petho
I don't think that's the point Montana Grizz was trying to make. He's pointing out that it's not the SAVING that is cheating, but FAILING to save.

Saving a game and exiting, and coming back to it later at that point, is perfectly legit.....but it seems that this behaviour is somehow going to be stigmatised.

A "save" counter will only be useful when you can compare it to a "loads" counter. As it stands it strikes me as almost useless and liable only to lead to ill feeling. There may be some people around here who can always complete their turns in one go, but there will be many who can't...whether seldom or often....especially those of us that pore over their games obsessively.

I say "almost useless" because someone saving their game a dozen times in a turn is probably doing something dodgy....although even then you don't know for sure, and moderate numbers of svae may well lead to unwarranted suspicion. But a replay cheat will still be able to operate without saving the game even once. They'll do their recon/practice turn and get themselves a huge advantage, quit out, reload and then do their "actual" turn. That will, I presume, show up as "zero" saves.

There is a save and load counter system in Steel Panthers iirc.....has anyone ever asked the Steel Panthers people if they could "borrow" it?

PS: Has the start-of-turn artillery/air/HQ/Ammo/undisruptions exploit been fixed?
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2008, 08:43 AM,
You know I always save the game right after the replay.......is this going to be another one of those ...............man he must be cheating things?
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
06-10-2008, 08:57 AM,
All good points guys. :smoke:
I'm with you Earl. I had power and comp problems a while back that had me exploding when the power would go off half way through a turn. I do save. :chin:
I save it after the enemies artillery fire.
I could not sit through that again, especially in the larger games with the 15 minute artillery barrage. :rolleyes:Whip

I also have four dogs and a sixteen year old son. One of them is always barking at me for something, so I'll save as not to lose anything before I return.

Any flare-ups over the save record will be dealt with as we always deal with things. :kill:

cheers
06-10-2008, 09:31 AM,
It could be worse Ed........you could have four sons and a sixteen year old dog!!!!!!!!

Save early......and often.......but never quit!

Rob
06-10-2008, 09:42 AM,
I guess I'll just have to come to an agreement with my opponent in regard to saves before we start each game.

If we agree upon X number of saves per turn, then I will "save" the email agreement and proceed with the game.

If someone is a "save" stickler then my turn rate will probably diminish because I won't be able to make a turn unless I have enough time to complete my turn in one sitting.

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

06-10-2008, 10:00 AM,
Smedley Wrote:It could be worse Ed........you could have four sons and a sixteen year old dog!!!!!!!!

Save early......and often.......but never quit!

Rob

LOL! I would not have any hair left! :conf:
My oldest dog is 12. The next is 9. Then 7 and then 3.

I like my dogs. ;)

cheers
06-10-2008, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2008, 10:18 AM by RedDevil.)
What everyone is missing here is the fact remains it's nothing to worry about. Simple mathematics, you save an avg of 3-4 times a turn... big deal.. you save 15-20 times a turn and all your shots connect, that's an eyecatching discrepancy and I'd want to know what's up wit dat..

Your Opps will get a feel for your gaming style and it will not be an issue that you may use more saves than He/She may. Hell, Team games are going to show an enormous amount of saves..

The idea is to keep track of them in case one becomes suspicious of a player's "luck" and the Custodians need to intervene. All sorts of things help them determine the validity of the excess.

Your regular OPPs shouldn't even have a concern, and if they did, they should inquire and a reason given.

Nothing to see here really
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-10-2008, 11:47 AM,
Spoken like a true Sage Randy ;) And I mean it cheers

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
06-10-2008, 01:20 PM,
I really dunno about that RD. I think it will lead to unfair suspicion directed at those with temperamental power systems/computers who routinely save, while lending the more subtle culprits unwarranted credibility because they're showing no or only a few saves.

My opinion would be that it should be deferred until you can do a save and a load counter in tandem.

Anyways, those arguments are ones that I suspect Jason and his team have already hashed over, so it will be what it will be....
06-10-2008, 05:15 PM,
Hi All,

Did you all read Jasons explanation? he said you can save twice before anything gets reported to your opponent.. so you can save after the replay, and once more if you have to stop half way through - without any bother... I can't see this being an issue really as long as everyone is sensible.
But if you tell me you have to save 8 times for a 10 minute scenario turn because you have a dog??!!?? I'm gonna be a bit suspicious.. now aren't I??

:smoke: