• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Replaying moves and the patch
06-10-2008, 12:28 AM,
RE: Replaying moves and the patch
Montana Grizz Wrote:There is nothing wrong with saving a game. How can one cheat by saving a game? When you reopen the game, you are right back to the point at which you saved it; you can't do anything about a move you made prior to saving.

What can or could be a problem is not saving the game, but exiting and starting over!!!!!!!!!

I always thought the anti-cheating aspect of a patch was to notify the opponent that a player had started over, not saved a game!

Pat

Cheaters save only after good results. Then if they have bad results, they exit the game (without saving) and start again at the last save until they again get good results, then they save again etc.
IMO anti cheating measure are #1 priority of the developers, even if this means that fair players have to adapt their habits.
For example in PzC there is an even more drastic option that doesn't allow you to save at all during a PBEM turn. Hitting the save button has the same effect there as hitting the end turn button.

Huib
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2008, 12:36 AM,
Montana Grizz Wrote:How can one cheat by saving a game?

There are many ways, here are a few:

1. Saving your turn midgame, send out recce patrols to see where your opponent is sitting, restarting to the save game and continuing the turn with your knew found intelligence.

2. You have ambushed an enemy column, you save the game turn, you attack the ambushed column but you have had the worst die rolls imaginable... you reload the turn and try your like again from the save game point.

3. You are trying to capture a town on the last turn, you save the game turn, try assaulting and fail. You reopen the turn and try again, you assault and fail again. You reopen the turn and try again, you assault and succeed! You save and continue playing the turn.

4. You're playing the turn as normal, saving on occassion. You pass through a village with some loaded trucks and are suddenly ambushed, your company of panzergrenadiers is wiped out completely. You reload from your last save and ensure the mistake is not repeated.

There are many ways to cheat by saving and replaying, these are but a few reasons why someone would.

This is replaying and against club rules. Let alone very ungentlemanly like!

The save game warning is initiated after 2 saves. After that, it will report how many times a game has been saved.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
06-10-2008, 12:52 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:The save game warning is initiated after 2 saves. After that, it will report how many times a game has been saved.

That sounds good. But does it also monitor the number of quits?
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
06-10-2008, 01:08 AM,
zeiss Wrote:That sounds good. But does it also monitor the number of quits?

Not yet, but is in development for 1.04.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
06-10-2008, 01:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2008, 01:32 AM by RedDevil.)
During my tenure as CS custodian, I experienced numerous inquiries about spectacular results in games from various members. During this period, I invoked a serious in depth investigation of the CS mechanics and gaming system.

I can assure you of a few things, The CS series in it's old form was susceptible to manipulation.

So in light of this experience, The Beta Brigade is directing efforts towards making the CS series bullet proof against these possible flaws. The saves counter is just the beginning. More will follow. Honest gamers need not to worry really, those who manipulate things will.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-10-2008, 06:21 AM,
You know I think this is crap!.......I save my games a lot esp the large ones........had too many of those little power bumps that dump everything......not only that I have limited time so I might watch the replay and then think about the moves, or just not have time for the whole thing.........let me say this..............if I cheat don't play me cause if I think you cheat I won't play you......better yet I do believe they invented online play for the paranoid people.........but then the last time I played online my opponent just disappeared...........something about a power failure

If it ain't broke......don't fix it.....old Maine saying
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
06-10-2008, 06:31 AM,
I always thought that if someone had to cheat to beat me, they didn't accomplish much.

With a career of 9 wins in 67 games, I obviously don't cheat or so stupid I don't deserve to live.

I just foresee the "save" reporting feature as causing some hard feelings, but since there is no perfect solution, I agree that it is at least a move in the right direction.

I'll just have to change the manner in which I play the game.

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

06-10-2008, 06:47 AM,
Personally, I just don't see the harm.

Ultimately, I think we will look back on this as not that big a deal. If you like playing someone, you will keep playing that opponent, regardless of how often he or she saves a game. If you have your doubts about an opponent, then perhaps the "save counter" will help you decide if you want to keep playing that person.

Just my $.02.
06-10-2008, 06:53 AM,
Nort Wrote:Personally, I just don't see the harm.

Ultimately, I think we will look back on this as not that big a deal. If you like playing someone, you will keep playing that opponent, regardless of how often he or she saves a game. If you have your doubts about an opponent, then perhaps the "save counter" will help you decide if you want to keep playing that person.

Just my $.02.

Spot on Nort

It's not a deterant by any means, but it is an indicator that's available for those who feel the need.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-10-2008, 07:18 AM,
Usually if someone has a question there are 10 more with the same question....

(Q) Does the game automatically save the game when you advance the turn? I never knew the answer so always "save it" before advancing the turn. :rolleyes:

My screen saver will come on & it will sometimes freeze the game. For that reason I always save the game as soon as the replay is over & again just before I advance the turn.

I kinda wish I had the same problem as MG has with all the naked women interrupting his game. He sounds like he has been visiting Majog at the Cat's Meow lounge in Bermuda. ;)