• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SQB compared to what?
06-03-2008, 10:56 AM,
SQB compared to what?
I know a lot of the players may be baised, but I would like to know if there is another game out today or in the past that compares to this game.

I know there is VASL. this game requires the actual boardgame.

I'll take my answer off the air.
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2008, 02:36 PM,
RE: SQB compared to what?
Both Steel Panthers and Combat Mission (Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin and Afrika Korps) are squad and individual vehicle/gun based games, but Squad Battles is really nothing much like either of them because of the way it treats effectiveness of men and weapons.

Other than that, I'm coming up a blank.
06-05-2008, 09:33 AM,
I have played cm and sp. cm is 3d which i don't like, where sp is not as detailed. maybe there isn't another game like sqb.
06-05-2008, 10:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2008, 10:54 AM by Tide1.)
Lock n Load Games and Matrix have a game in development right now called Heroes of Stalingrad. From some of the demos I've seen it could be a good one when they release it.

Tide1
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
06-05-2008, 11:35 AM,
has anyone played "semper fi". this game was released in the 90's.
06-19-2008, 11:46 PM,
Squad Battles is the perfect mix of a board-wargame and computer wargame, in my opinion. I have played a lot of CM and it has kind of lost its appeal to me as I really dislike the labeling of the units as generic designations, while it does model some things very well, I also got tired of moving all over the map and checking los and all that.

SB plays much more fluid. Ease of play yet great detail and historical accuracy (the scenario designers do a great job). The modeling of different weapons and just all of the little chrome things make SB so great to play. Each title has its own little things to learn in order to play effectively.

Steel Panthers is okay, but I do feel it shows its age and seems more cumbersome to play.

I think that Lock 'n Load is the board-wargame that reminds me most of SB. The ease of play yet great detail are the greatest appeal.

Also the PBEM system is a snap and the SB community (while smaller than some) is the best I've been a part of!
06-20-2008, 05:16 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: SQB compared to what?
Dazooz Wrote:Squad Battles is the perfect mix of a board-wargame and computer wargame, in my opinion. I have played a lot of CM and it has kind of lost its appeal to me as I really dislike the labeling of the units as generic designations, while it does model some things very well, I also got tired of moving all over the map and checking los and all that.

SB plays much more fluid. Ease of play yet great detail and historical accuracy (the scenario designers do a great job). The modeling of different weapons and just all of the little chrome things make SB so great to play. Each title has its own little things to learn in order to play effectively.

Steel Panthers is okay, but I do feel it shows its age and seems more cumbersome to play.

I think that Lock 'n Load is the board-wargame that reminds me most of SB. The ease of play yet great detail are the greatest appeal.

Also the PBEM system is a snap and the SB community (while smaller than some) is the best I've been a part of!

Excellent post :) This hits the nail on the head - for me anyway.

I play and enjoy both SP and CM - though more of an aside to SB.

Plus what gaming series lets you fight from WWII Finland through to 1980's Afghanistan?

:)
06-20-2008, 07:39 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: SQB compared to what?
Excellent summary Jason.
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM,
I think there is no other game like it at this time.

the games mentioned have their own feel and a fan base.

No matter where I go to find my squad battle fix, i keep coming back to sqb.

I just hope the developers have the time and money to pretty it up a bit.

I am not saying add crazy fancy graphics, just a little rework.

thanks for your comments.