• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Morale Ratings for Danube 85
06-01-2008, 02:04 AM,
RE: Morale Ratings for Danube 85
Zemke Wrote:Bottom line if anything, the professional US Army of the 80s was superior to it's NATO counterparts from personal observations. A lot of the NATO conscripts just didn't seem to really care like we did. I realize this is all subjective and my own opinion.

My opinion too. Like I said, the Army was well over the Vietnam era problems by 1980. I don't have any direct knowledge of how things were in 2003, I retired in 1995.

Most other NATO armies were primarily made up of conscripts. I had the most experience on exercises with the Bundeswehr. In those days they had a very professional NCO and officer corps, but the conscripts were Boy Scouts with rifles.
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2008, 04:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2008, 04:42 AM by Volcano Man.)
Well, it does say that there was a play balance issue involved in the decision:

Quote:Also realize that there has to be some play balance involved...

Anyway, IMO play balance issues are the most important, so there is certainly nothing wrong with that. There is nothing good about mindlessly designing an OOB without any regard to play balance, and since the "quality" levels are, as someone mentioned, soft values (abstractions), they make the most sense to be the values that change to keep it fun and playable.
Send this user an email
06-01-2008, 11:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2008, 12:03 AM by Tbird3.)
Glenn, thanks for the quick and detailed reply. You can always be counted on to provide a quick and truthful answer. Everyone has an opinion and I understand your teams thought process. I just don't agree but hey, thats why you gave us an editor! Seriously, I appreciate your efforts to keep us straight.

Tbird3