• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Minsk AI
05-29-2008, 02:31 PM,
Minsk AI
Gents,

I have read about the much improved (robust) AI for Minsk. What is it that makes it improved? And do any other games in series have it?

Any info would be appreciated.

Bulldog
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM,
RE: Minsk AI
Cant comment on the AI, But I can say that every game of minsk that I have played has almost invariably come down to the last turn on a decision. Lots of good stuff in minsk:bow:
05-29-2008, 03:06 PM,
Bulldog,

The AI is a better defender and actually attacks now. There are a few scenarios designed specifically for the AI as attacker. The AI can not stand up in a longer scenario, so play the shorter scenarios against it. Look at the designers notes included with your CD for a more definitive answer.

In the overall picture, the AI is merely a training tool to give you an opponent when learning the mechanics of the system.

The real fun comes in HTH or PBEM play.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-29-2008, 11:55 PM,
Bulldog Wrote:Gents,

I have read about the much improved (robust) AI for Minsk. What is it that makes it improved? And do any other games in series have it?

Any info would be appreciated.

Bulldog
Hi Bulldog,

I believe the Minsk readme file covers the changes in detail. It has been awhile for me, but what I can remember, the changes included:

The AI tries to form a defensive line better, and retreat when the line is penetrated/flanks are threatened.

Better awareness for travel mode movement, getting out of travel mode further away from spotted enemy units than before.

Try to move AT/Arty away before enemy moves adjacent.

There are definitely others too. All the changes made to the AI should be in all the games by now. It doesn't make the AI brilliant, but it does play better, more like a human tactically than before, although still lacking a bit in the big picture thinking, is where it is lacking still, I think.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
05-30-2008, 01:26 AM,
I was wondering if the "AI Upgrade" has made it to all games, including the Modern Campaigns? Seems like there were one or two yet that needed it.
05-30-2008, 06:13 AM,
Bulldog Wrote:Any info would be appreciated.

Bulldog

Check out the designer notes first and if there are any followup questions from there, then I can see if we can elaborate further.

Glenn
Send this user an email
05-30-2008, 07:44 AM,
Guys,

Thanks for info. I have not purchased Minsk yet and was just trying to decide which one to buy next in series.

Glenn: Unclear about this, Have the new AI features been incorporated into all other games in series?

Bulldog
05-31-2008, 10:39 AM,
Bulldog Wrote:Glenn: Unclear about this, Have the new AI features been incorporated into all other games in series?

The basic answer is YES BUT ....

You see we looked at a lot of AI behavior in Minsk and we went over and over it until the basic AI things like not bumping units in T mode into enemy units at the front line - and yet not changing into Deployed formations too far from the front line.

But we also did a ton of AI scripting to take advantage of these changes.

The result of this is we are most happy with the changes in Minsk and any game created after Minsk. Previous games which have been been updated have the same basic AI improvements.

+++++++

Here is what the Notes say about the AI.

+++++++

D. AI Enhancements

There are often tweaks and adjustments made to the AI in Panzer Campaigns, but this time with Minsk, we made a lot of adjustments to attempt to correct as many AI issues as possible. I don’t want to over stress this, because we didn’t completely re-design the game AI, rather we observed an AI behavior and attempted to correct it.

For this task John Tiller enlisted the assistance of John Rushing. People may have heard of his AI programming in the Total War title "The First Blitzkrieg", and anyone who has played that game is aware that the AI can really give the human player a good game.

Anyway, as we tested the scenarios against the AI, as an issue came up we ask Dr. Rushing to see what he could do. Later in the project, I asked John if he could prepare a list of some of the changes he made, so we could share them with you and this next section are those notes.

Panzer Campaigns AI Changes

by John Rushing

Partisans: New logic was added to handle partisan units. These units will try to block road and rail lines and will also try to stay in areas where they can hide, like forests.

Retreats: Several changes were made with respect to retreating units. Disrupted units in contact with enemy units are now more likely to retreat. Checks are now made for units that are in imminent danger of being surrounded, and those units will retreat. Artillery units that are caught on, or near the front, will no longer attempt to fire before retreating. Instead, they will try to use their full movement to get as far away from the front as possible. Path finding for retreating units was modified to allow for moves parallel to the front if the eventual path leads away from it. Path finding was also changed to look further ahead, so units are less likely to get trapped in areas that they can not move out of.

Advancing: Ideally, units should use travel mode when advancing towards the front and then switch out of travel mode just before reaching the front. Several cases where units were either switching too soon, or too late, were addressed.

AI Orders: In some cases, units with attack orders were not getting them because of a previous default hold order to their parent organization. This was causing units to stay where they were, or even retreat, instead of attacking. This problem was fixed.

Occupy Objectives: In some cases, enemy owned objectives with no units in them were not being occupied. This problem was fixed.

Defender Auto Combine: Defending units can now recombine if the component units end up moving into the same hex.

Scripting: Changes were made to the AI scripting to allow for specification of direct path orders. These orders tell units to go towards their objective without taking wide detours. This is especially useful in scenarios with constricted terrain. Also, AI Orders can now be issued for individual units and not just entire formations.
Send this user an email
06-01-2008, 03:17 PM,
Glenn,

Wow! Thanks for the info. Youre the best!

Credit Card is out to purchase Minsk...

Bulldog
06-01-2008, 03:46 PM,
Bulldog Wrote:Glenn,

Wow! Thanks for the info. Youre the best!

Credit Card is out to purchase Minsk...

Bulldog

I like Minsk - I feel it is a very good game. And I am confident you too will enjoy it - but as I said in the notes, I don't want to come off as selling the idea that the AI is spectacular. But I feel it will give you an interesting fight - and Minsk of all titles gave us a good opportunity to deliver a game where the AI will attack and defend as well as provide good challenging Scns for the PBEM guys too.

Glenn
Send this user an email