• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 2
01-13-2009, 03:43 PM,
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 2
Epilogue

Even though I got my infantry out of the Chir bridgehead before they could be cut off, they moved so slowly in the deep snow and steep hillsides, it took me the whole game to get any of them far enough south to help hold the Axis western flank. This forced me to have to feed stronger units from the 11th PD into the western flank defense when I really needed them to crush the Sulatskiy bridgehead. Other wise the Axis western flank would have been vaporized in about three turns.

It would seem possible to hold the northern VP hex, since there is a supply point and the pocket can really only be successfully attacked on three sides through bad terrain and mines. The southern side of the Axis Chir bridgehead is protected by the river. A Russian crossing there could be severely punished. The Axis player should be grateful if the Russians try to attack the Axis Chir bridgehead in force to attempt a quick liquidation. That means less troops south of the river allowing the 11th PD more freedom. And freedom of action for the 11th PD means big trouble for the Russians. Note, that for most of the battle RickyB made moves to cause the 11th PD force to react to him. The best the Axis can do then is make the Russians very uncomfortable with that decision. I was a little too focused on reducing the Russian Sulatskiy bridgehead. Making the 11th PD react to Russian thrusts can be like having a wolf by the ears, you do not like the position your in, but you dare not let go.
(Thomas Jefferson)

The 11th PD infantry, without the aid of the armor could not reduce the Russian Sulatskiy bridgehead and take the 250 VP hex. The PzGr were simply blasted into a high state of fatigue by the Soviet artillery.

I did have a success of sorts. The Russian cavalry never played a significant role in this battle. I did not have to use many troops to hold them in a small bridgehead until the final turns when it no longer mattered.

I think that if the optional rule for Quality Fatigue Modifier were turned on the Germans would stand a better chance. As it stands in this game, the Russians simply overwhelmed the Axis defense by firepower and assault. The Axis attack on the Sulatskiy bridgehead ran out of gas in the face of withering Soviet artillery. Fatigue was the Axis downfall. My army is just worn out in the end.

One thing for players to take note. RickyB assaulted with his T-34 units when on the attack more than using them in a direct fire role. The speed, even in bad ground conditions is the best factor for the T-34. Their high movement factors means you can get them where you want them. A defender has to cover a wide part of the front when T-34s are near in strength with extra units due to the T-34’s ability to choose where to fight. Their assault factor is what gets the job done. Many PzC players waste their armor assets in direct fire attacks. The Axis artillery, anti-tank guns and armor will chew up T34s every time in a shoot out. Russian players need to use their artillery and sometimes the infantry to disrupt the Axis units. Then run the Axis troops over with the T-34 units. This tactic works very well. Just be careful where your Russian tanks end up at the end of the turn.

A well played game by Mr RickyB. Like the Peanuts character Snoopy, I am sitting on my dog house shouting "Curse you Red Baron!"
There is always the next time we cross swords.....

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2009, 12:08 AM,
qulaity fatigue modifier is a must in this game-thou your crappy LW troops wouldnt benefit from it too much-at least your pzgrens would not wear out as fast
01-14-2009, 01:09 PM,
Soviet Summary and Epilogue

This is a very tough battle for the Germans, even with all of the changes from my stock version that were made by Foul. But I do believe it is winnable by them, with a strategy matched to the Soviet moves.

It is very difficult, nearly impossible I think, for the Germans to crush the central bridgehead. This is historical, in reality the Germans had to call off the 11th Pz Div attack achieved partial success on it due to crisis' in other areas. The Germans have some very strong units, and tying them up attacking the fortified Soviet positions in the towns along the river are likely to lead to exhaustion, as happened here.

I believe Dog Soldier made a good decision in withdrawing the troops north of the Chir River, or I would if they had been able to support the defenses south of the river more effectively. If they can help shift the other infantry south in succession, then it would definitely be helpful, as the objective north of the river is small.

If I was playing the Germans, I would try a strategy of hitting the central bridgehead to compress it back to the towns, damaging the Soviet units as much as possible. Then screen that front with the infantry division, while pulling the panzer division back to hit any Soviet spearheads that expose themselves. If none do that, then strong defensive positions can be taken to protect the critical objectives, while minimizing losses. It may also be possible to crush the cavalry as they cross the river in the east, but that takes the panzers out of position for protecting the objectives.

The Soviets have the need to survive in the center, while pushing from the west and east as hard as possible. They hold the advantages as long as they don't expose and lose important parts of their forces without gaining something from it.

So for them, try to keep the forces organized close together, use the T34 mobility to hit weak points and assault the LW infantry units, and use the infantry to try and take out German Panzers. Using T34s against the German tanks is not a route to success, the infantry and cavalry can do much better that way.

Finally, as Dog Soldier mentioned, the use of QFM, which I don't recall if it was available when we started the match or not, whould be very helpful in balancing things out here, allowing the Germans to fight on when normal exhaustion would stop most units.

It was a very tough battle by Dog Soldier, much more so than the final score would indicate.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-15-2009, 08:34 AM,
Gentlemen....thank you both for allowing me to play vicariously through you both Big Grin

100 Bonus Ladder Points to you both for your efforts!!
01-15-2009, 09:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2009, 09:05 AM by Ricky B.)
One day, maybe another 15 years but still one day, we will have you back here playing with us Paul!

Thanks for everything you still manage to do for us!
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-17-2009, 01:55 PM,
Ricky B Wrote:One day, maybe another 15 years but still one day, we will have you back here playing with us Paul!

Thanks for everything you still manage to do for us!
Rick

I second RickyB's motion. I look forward to the day Paul can play some games here with the members of this forum again.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
01-18-2009, 08:22 PM,
Thank you both for a fantastic AAR and for playing my version of Rick's stock scenario, i am sure that when we tested this the QFM Opt rule was not available, but after your comments i will make that a required Opt rule to be used.

I believe i played the Soviets three times and never achieved a victory which says plenty for the quality of Rick's play. :)
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM,
Ah, so playing the Soviets is Foul's weak spot....

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
01-23-2009, 02:41 AM,
steel god Wrote:Gentlemen....thank you both for allowing me to play vicariously through you both Big Grin

100 Bonus Ladder Points to you both for your efforts!!

I second that!cheers