• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DF 85 - The Elbe Estuary
05-06-2008, 03:25 PM,
RE: DF 85 - The Elbe Estuary
Heh, we almost need a German civil engineer and/or military bridging expert to appear and settle this. This might be one of those arguments that are susceptible to mistake. E.g. like the French General Staff in 1940 believing "the Ardennes is impassable to tanks" only to watch whole Panzer armies drive through.

The fact there are no civilian bridges on the Elbe below Hamburg would seem dispositive. But I simply don't know enough about modern military bridging capabilities to give a definitive answer.

Add to this the fact that Modern Campaigns bridges can carry 70-ton MBTs. I have a hard time imagining a mile-long bridge over a tidal river estuary that can carry MBTs and artillery prime movers being constructed in six hours.

Unless the above-mentioned bridging genius shows up on this thread, I don't know the players can give you the definitive answer on this Glen. It may require the original designer taking another look at it. It seems like a worthwhile thing to do since it sounds like players are definitely putting bridging the lower Elbe in play.
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2008, 07:39 PM,
Elxaime Wrote:... like the French General Staff in 1940 believing "the Ardennes is impassable to tanks" only to watch whole Panzer armies drive through. ...
That not actually what they believed.

The rest of your post is solid.
05-07-2008, 08:38 AM,
Elxaime Wrote:Unless the above-mentioned bridging genius shows up on this thread, I don't know the players can give you the definitive answer on this Glen. It may require the original designer taking another look at it.

:) But Glenn (and others are the original designer

Quote:It seems like a worthwhile thing to do since it sounds like players are definitely putting bridging the lower Elbe in play.

Well - for now I've marked those hexes as impassable because we never really considered bridging them and as was mentioned above - Bridges are another BLACK AND WHITE thing in this series and that is an awful wide span for anything, man jeep, or 70 ton tank at full speed.

Anyway - this will only affect new scns started after the next update and if players want to have these hexes as bridgable the can open the editor and remove the blocked hexes.

Glenn
Send this user an email