• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
08-04-2008, 08:59 AM,
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
Gents that was an awsome AAR cheers

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2008, 09:56 AM,
Excellent AAR. Learned more about playing these games then I probably have in all my playings.
08-04-2008, 04:29 PM,
Thanks guys. Glad you liked it.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-05-2008, 01:44 AM,
I would have to say "outstanding!!" I've learned more in reading your AARs than I have in reading the game's manual. They are very fun to read, well written in that the reader gets to understand the mindset of the players and why they are moving units and deploying them the way they do. Very educational and just plain interesting to see how one "thinks operationally" in playing a game like this.

Very valuable to a newb like myself. Looking forward to more. Very nice job to the both of you and thanks.
08-05-2008, 02:03 AM,
Brian, Marty,

One of the best AAR's i have read, very, very interesting.

You are 100% correct that if the German player splits his forces he will lose, i tried this in testing and it led to a disaster! :(

Glad you both enjoyed this product of the H2H testing section of the Blitz. :)
08-05-2008, 04:57 AM,
You two gentlemen deserve high commendation and great thanks from all of us newbies. The text and, especially, the graphics, from two veterans of the system, provided great insight and direction for my further exploration. Hands down, the best AAR I've come across.

Regards,

Billie
08-05-2008, 10:53 AM,
In my early playing days I was a huge fan, and a huge advocate of AARs, and the archives on the site contain several of my Steel Panthers games. I have always loved to write and read AARs, and think they benefit not just the rookies who learn some tips and pointers, but it vastly improves the veterans level of play as well because they know it is being documented, and the very act of documenting makes the players work to a more rigid plan, a facet of the hobby I have always felt was over looked.

And although I join in the chorus of the others here who applaud this effort, I would like to do just a little bit more in recognition for two gentlemen who put a lot of time and effort into this. Thank you both and in token of that thanks, I've tossed you both a 100 point bonus for your work.

Outstanding, simply outstanding.
08-05-2008, 01:07 PM,
Thank you for the compliments! One thing that worked well for us was we wrote notes and thoughts as we played each turn and kept them as the basis for this write up. It was very interesting for von Nev and I to see how differently we viewed the same event. I awarded the minefield that tripped up his bridge engineers south of Mogilev with medals for valor posthumously. It alerted me in the replay that my guess he would try to flank my forces there was correct!

Another interesting part was near the end when I was trying to hold the final VP hex. I thought the Germans were running out of steam, and von Nev was trying to see how many men I would commit in the hex so he could take them prisoner when he collapsed the northern flank of the village. Boy was I off base in hoping he was done!

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-05-2008, 01:54 PM,
Thanks all for the compliments and the ladder points. With all the views (over 1600!!) and the comments it was well worth the effort.

A lot of the credit also needs to go to Dog Soldier as he asked at the start if I would be interested in doing an AAR of the game. Once we agreed to it and I figured out how to post screenshots (thanks to the "sticky" thread on this topic in the AAR forum) and found out how to edit the pictures in Paint, it was easy after that. I just took notes and took screenshots of the end of the turn.

Also, this AAR has got me interested in posting another AAR. This one is of my M44 campaign with LowLander. Hopefully you will find that one interesting and helpful too. It also can be found in this AAR forum.

Marty
11-27-2014, 07:44 AM,
(08-05-2008, 01:54 PM)von Nev Wrote: Thanks all for the compliments and the ladder points. With all the views (over 1600!!) and the comments it was well worth the effort.

A lot of the credit also needs to go to Dog Soldier as he asked at the start if I would be interested in doing an AAR of the game. Once we agreed to it and I figured out how to post screenshots (thanks to the "sticky" thread on this topic in the AAR forum) and found out how to edit the pictures in Paint, it was easy after that. I just took notes and took screenshots of the end of the turn.

Also, this AAR has got me interested in posting another AAR. This one is of my M44 campaign with LowLander. Hopefully you will find that one interesting and helpful too. It also can be found in this AAR forum.

Marty

what a battle.Helmet Wink
thanks