MG 44 Campaign re balanced - Comments before final publication please
05-01-2008, 03:41 AM,
RE: MG 44 Campaign re balanced - Comments before final publication please
Still working on this... need a couple of days more
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2008, 10:47 AM,
Hi Cav

Thanks for the changes, I would be keen to test them out after I have completed some of my current games (mid June).

I have often looked at improving MG44, as it is a very interesting medium sized battle, but just lacks the confusion and unpredictable nature of what really happened.

I agree about reduced Axis supply level especially at the start, as around Arnhem they end up using lots of British equipment and ammo.

There are several areas that imo need changes.

1. on day 1 around Arnhem, there is no way frost can slip past the germans to take the bridge unless the Germans let them and if he does get to the Bridge he will be destroyed in no time at all. This greatly changes the out come of the battle as the Germans can reinforce the Island. Also reading the German account it never snow in September the MG44 does not create the confusion around Arnhem for either side especially the germans, so I would recommend fixing and disrupting more German units until 8pm or 10pm on day 1 when Spinlder started to really block the para's advance. And Frost was not attacked in any meaningful way until day 2.

Another change that may be needed is that the second 1st AB drop needs to be selectable or it arrives to the morning on a small chance to add further confusion into the germans actions.

2. another change I would make it make to Son bridge a foot bridge, I would just assume the main bridge is destroyed, then as occurred the US para engineers then built a very basic foot bridge to cross over at Son, either that or give the 1 US para Eng unit ferry capabilities. Do not let the Grave bridge be destroyed at all.

3. i would make 1 hex in Nijmegen a bunker to simulate defences of Hunner Park. I would consider adding a small chance that the Hamel Tiger Company may appear as reinforcements on day 2 from the reichwald to generate further worry for Gavin.

4. The 107th and Kampfgruppe Walter needs able to withdraw from around Einhoven and then reappear at Veghel or Uden or Mook, adding extra risk to the allies advance. The game does not allow this element of suprise.

5. the 101st seems to be to powerful or flexible vs LXXXVIII Corp's attacks, which managed to cut and threaten the highway several times.

6. also (from memory, I need to check my references) later in the battle the 1st AB did get close air support around Ossterbeek some time from the 23 or 24 th of Sept, which saved them from a few German assaults.

7. It would also be nice if explicit supply system could be made to work better to simulate the supply situation around Arnhem in particular.

Any way a few ideas.

Peter777
05-05-2008, 04:14 AM,
Just send out a doc by email with the oob of II FsKorps in the Nijmegen area. I used the email adresses registred here at the Blitz.

Thanks & good luck.

Huib
05-05-2008, 03:40 PM,
Peter777 Wrote:... either that or give the 1 US para Eng unit ferry capabilities.

Peter:

Every Eng has the basic ability to Ferry a Foot unit over a River Hexside. Has "Boats Eng" are needed only for Full Water Bridges. OF course the units being ferried must be ON FOOT or, if Motorized they will have to "Go On Foot" and recover their trucks from their HQs at a later time.

Glenn
Send this user an email