• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Capturing HQs
04-21-2008, 04:42 AM,
Capturing HQs
HQs are immortal, right? If you eliminate them they come back disrupted, in lesser strength with lower morale, but they do , nontheless, always return to the enemy no matter how many times you destroy them.

In an effort to permanently deny the enemy the benefit of his HQ units, would it be considered gamey to simulate their capture rather than their destruction? That is, just surround the HQ with a couple of light units and take no further action, just hold them there indefinetly. Don't fire on them, don't assault them, just hold them in place as your front advances and they fall well behind your lines. I guess the enemy could mount a rescue operation, but I would think you could hold an enemy HQ out of play for a long while this way.

Would it be acceptable to most of us to simulate their capture in this fashion? :chin:
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2008, 04:48 AM,
RE: Capturing HQs
tbridges Wrote:Would it be acceptable to most of us to simulate their capture in this fashion? :chin:

No I don't think so. This would be gamey in my opinion.

The idea behind the rule is that if a HQ is captured or destroyed, the HQ would be reconstitued using readily avaliable secondary staff and any suitable officers that can be scraped up. Your armies commanders would not allow a unit to exist without a HQ of some form.

The alternative to reconstituting the HQ would be to roll the remaining personnel into another unit with a HQ. this mechanic is not included in the game
04-21-2008, 05:07 AM,
Yes, I agree -- this is gamey. The opponent can counter anyways by chaning the HQ in and out of travel mode, triggering DF, until destroyed.

Fury
04-21-2008, 06:51 AM,
Sgt Fury Wrote:Yes, I agree -- this is gamey. The opponent can counter anyways by chaning the HQ in and out of travel mode, triggering DF, until destroyed.

Fury

Like it, like it, very clever! :bow:
04-21-2008, 08:03 AM,
If my opponent insists on puting his HQ's in the front line (a gamey tactic IMHO) I have no hesitation in surrounding them and letting them rot. If they use their HQ's properly I play fair too.
04-21-2008, 11:26 AM,
I like destroying enemy HQs, and having them respawn with their last remaining units isolated by my units. An easy way to pick up an extra handful of points, and if they respawn behind enemy lines, it generally isn't a worry anyway as there probably aren't too many units left for it to command.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-21-2008, 11:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2008, 01:05 PM by von Nev.)
I do not consider HQ units on the front lines gamey. HQ units typically had a company of infantry for local support and there are numerous incidents during WWII where these units were key in the battle as they fought for key areas.

On offense, if my opponent choses to have them in the front lines, I honestly say to myself "what the heck is he doing?" Losing a HQ unit is not good in almost any scenario especially on offense. When it is lost it comes back a couple turns later disrupted, at 1/2 strength and highly fatigued. During those couple of turns when it is not there it's subordinate units are at a big disadvantage. All in, this is not my idea of a great exchange.

If the front line comes to them they have every right to stay in that spot and try to defend that area. Although they run the risk of losing the unit or getting it surrounded quite easily as it does not have ZOC.
04-21-2008, 12:06 PM,
Sure some situations are credible. But when someone sticks a quality 'A' Corp HQ in a Bunker just to hold on to the hex, that is very gamey and I have no mercy. I think HQ's especially Corp and above should be worth many more points than they are now. For example, a bunch of crap quality 'E' Rumanians stacked with a quality 'A' HQ. Hey suddenly they all defend as 'A' units in assault comat. Tell me that ain't gamey.
04-21-2008, 12:13 PM,
Just to clarify I am not talking about divisional HQ's and below. Just Corp and above. I mean does anyone really think that Field Marshall Manstein is going to be shooting it out in the front line? It's crazy and such HQ's should be worth a gazzilion points.
04-22-2008, 02:51 AM,
I can't remember capturing an enemy HQ before.

But, I don't see why surrounding a HQ and holding them is gamey. If you can capture an enemy HQ in reality, don't you in essence surround them and prevent them from getting away?

Also, if the enemy wants to switch the surrounded HQ back and forth from travel mode to encourange DF and thus its eventual elimination, that's they're choice ... you might say the HQ was aggravating his captors to the point of shooting him.

I also agree HQ's of divisional and higher levels should be worth more points. With the Army and Corp level HQ's being substantially higher especially if its guys like Manstein or Guderian or whoever had an illustrial track record.

just another opinion