• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Deception Units in MC: Understrengthed
04-19-2008, 10:00 PM,
RE: Deception Units in MC: Understrengthed
Just out of curiosity, is there a way a deception unit can be discovered, trapped and destroyed? I know patrolling has something to do with countering partisans. I've yet to see a deception unit "outed" for any reason. Even the best units sometimes make mistakes and takes a beating. I figured if one of your units gets disrupted behind your lines, somebody is going to investigate. Plus, do deception units suffer fatigue while in deception mode? They need rest too.

Personally, what I think is missing from deception units is their versatility. Maybe if you had options when placing deception units to do one of the following:

1) Place mines, I figure only once as they would not parachute with a ton of them.

2) Place blocks in wooded areas to represent felled trees across the road.

3) Hide and act as recon for arty and/or air strikes up to a certain distance.

4) Place an ambush where they could also suffer casualties in return and displace at any time of the day or night, not just the one turn.

There could be more possibilities, but this was just a couple minutes of thought here for a possible idea. But there really should be a way to also trap them at times. Not all deception units ever got away.

I don't know if that would take a lot to do, just a thought for the powers that be.
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2008, 10:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2008, 10:52 PM by alaric99x.)
The Bundeswehr also had a type of deception unit, the Fernspaeher.

Back in the Cold War days I went on a couple of exercises with the Brits up in BAOR country, around Paderborn and Braunschweig. We encountered a company of Fernspaeh at a kaserne near Braunschweig. One such unit (can't remember, company or battalion) was assigned to each of the three Bundeswehr corps defending Germany at that time. If the WARPAC ever came across the fence, it was their job to go into prepared hiding places and allow themselves to be overrun. They operated in 2 or 3 man teams and were equipped with small encryption transmitters that would send compressed messages in millisecond bursts. Other elements of the unit operated radio vans behind friendly lines. In addition to providing information, the Fernspaeh were also trained for artillery and air spotting. Their motto was "oculus exercitus," something like "eyes of the army."
04-20-2008, 04:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2008, 04:17 AM by Tbird3.)
The American Army had a similiar capability to the Bundewehr Fernspaeh. US Divisions and US Corps had Long range surveilance detachments or companies respectively. Airborne/AASLT capabable troops meant to deploy far behind enemy lines to provide intelligence on key named areas of interests. I am pretty sure they were in place by 1985. This capability had always existed at the Corps level, at least since the late 50's. I think they were added to the divisions in the early 80's.

Tbird 3
04-20-2008, 04:24 AM,
Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote:Personally, what I think is missing from deception units is their versatility. Maybe if you had options when placing deception units to do one of the following:

1) Place mines, I figure only once as they would not parachute with a ton of them.

2) Place blocks in wooded areas to represent felled trees across the road.

3) Hide and act as recon for arty and/or air strikes up to a certain distance.

4) Place an ambush where they could also suffer casualties in return and displace at any time of the day or night, not just the one turn.

Items 1 & 2 are what the disrupting of the unit is supposed to represent in an abstracted form.

Regards,
CptCav
Edmund Burke (1729-1797): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ronald Reagan: “Détente: isn’t that what a farmer has with his turkey until Thanksgiving Day?”
04-20-2008, 09:03 AM,
Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there a way a deception unit can be discovered, trapped and destroyed? I know patrolling has something to do with countering partisans. I've yet to see a deception unit "outed" for any reason. Even the best units sometimes make mistakes and takes a beating. I figured if one of your units gets disrupted behind your lines, somebody is going to investigate. Plus, do deception units suffer fatigue while in deception mode? They need rest too.
Yes, there is a factor used for determining each turn whether the deception units are found, and if greater than 0 they will occasionally be found until all are gone. I don't know if they get fatigue or not, my guess is they don't but I am not positive of that.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]