• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Patrolling
04-18-2008, 07:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2008, 07:23 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: Patrolling
The user manual states that a unit that is patrolling has both its fire and assault values reduced to 3/4. The manual also states that a unit digging in has its fire value reduced to 1/2. If both of those effects are cumulative, which they very well could be, then it is completely realistic. If the penalties associated with doing both simultaneously are not cumulative then they probably should be so that the effect of a unit doing both is a 3/4 assault value and something like a 1/3 fire value.

Now that I think about it, given how the game works it would seem logical that all penalties associated with digging in and patrolling are already cumulative, but I could be wrong.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2008, 04:10 PM,
To add to VM's post above, if you move into contact with the enemy unit trying to dig in and are able to draw fire from that unit, it will not have a chance to dig in until you leave it alone.
Something to think about.....

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
04-18-2008, 04:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2008, 04:39 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
Volcano Man Wrote:The user manual states that a unit that is patrolling has both its fire and assault values reduced to 3/4. The manual also states that a unit digging in has its fire value reduced to 1/2. If both of those effects are cumulative, which they very well could be, then it is completely realistic.

Good point Ed -but this is why people need to look at BTL files when they look at these things.

You see the 3/4 and thr 1/2 don't have to add up to a whole because they are not both based on 100%.

I setup a test shot
1) One unit Patrolling
2) Same unit Digging in
3) A unit both Digging In and Patrolling

Case #1 is 3/4 as docs say
Case #2 is 1/2 like the docs say
In Case #3, I don't know which THING is reduced first, - I haven't done the math - but lets say is is 3/4 first and then the remaining 1 quarter is halved for the digging in. (OR the 1/2 is taken first and then the remaining half is modified by 3/4)

Either way, the Case #3 fire is less than both Case #1 and #2 and the whole 100% fire is not used.

So it might be possible rules and the math work I think.

Glenn
Send this user an email
04-19-2008, 03:48 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:In Case #3, I don't know which THING is reduced first, - I haven't done the math - but lets say is is 3/4 first and then the remaining 1 quarter is halved for the digging in. (OR the 1/2 is taken first and then the remaining half is modified by 3/4)

Either way, the Case #3 fire is less than both Case #1 and #2 and the whole 100% fire is not used.

Funny thing about multiplication is that it doesn't matter what order you do it. For example:

100 x .75 x .5 = 37.5

Similarly

100 x .5 x .75 = 37.5

:rolleyes:
04-20-2008, 04:45 AM,
"Funny thing about multiplication is that it doesn't matter what order you do it."

I never really thought that there was anything fun about math! :kill:

Tbird3
04-20-2008, 06:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2008, 06:27 AM by JonS1.)
Glenn Saunders Wrote:
Volcano Man Wrote:The user manual states that a unit that is patrolling has both its fire and assault values reduced to 3/4. The manual also states that a unit digging in has its fire value reduced to 1/2. If both of those effects are cumulative, which they very well could be, then it is completely realistic.

Good point Ed -but this is why people need to look at BTL files when they look at these things.

I setup a test shot
1) One unit Patrolling
2) Same unit Digging in
3) A unit both Digging In and Patrolling

Case #1 is 3/4 as docs say
Case #2 is 1/2 like the docs say
Case #3 fire is less than both Case #1 and #2 and the whole 100% fire is not used.
That's all well and good (seriously, it is), but what of a unit that is digging, or clearing mines, or sumfink, that chooses to patrol or fire or whatever as well. Granted diggers that fire won't dig, but what of the other activities - how are they affected by double dipping? Are they affected by double dipping?