• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

If you could improve your game - what would it be?
04-16-2008, 08:32 PM,
RE: If you could improve your game - what would it be?
Haha Thanks Ed i will try and follow your good advice in the future :-)
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2008, 04:07 AM,
Hmm, what would I fix about my game.

1. Watch out for blind spots / ambush spots, as I sometimes seem to get op-fired at close range.

2. Stop daydreaming so much about what the turn must have been like in real life (the "mood" music I play makes it easy, lol).

3. Experiment more with the odder (that a word?) scenarios, like night scenarios, unusual nationalities, and rarely-played theaters / locations of the war, in order to learn about the peculiarities of these types of scenarios better.
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
04-17-2008, 11:16 PM,
I need to be much, much more disciplined about two things:

1. Maintaining reserves
2. When on defense, consider being more daring in assmebling forces and taking a counter-attack role.

Unfortunately, the nature of some scenarios work very much against executing either of these points...the length of the scenario usually being the key factor preventing it.
04-17-2008, 11:27 PM,
I could really use some better instincts on when to assault and with how much. I watch some guys in awe during the replay as they calmly round up my disrupted troops into 1 hex and then seem to swoop in with just the right amount of force to capture the lot.

I am still getting repulsed on assaults sometimes, and I feel like I overcompensate by throwing the kitchen sink at the next one. And I still sometime leave retreat paths open, by accident that let's all those units scoot away instead of being captured.
04-18-2008, 08:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2008, 08:06 AM by Riley D. Smith.)
1. Allocate a reserve force and use it as such when NEEDED.

2. Either there is an art to moving loaded units somewhat "safely" on the battlefield, or I am forever unlucky in this area. I can't hardly get my boys to climb into a duece-and-a-half anymore because of the high casualty rates I experience! Men killed during transportation are so costly in vp's PLUS their loss is felt tons more because they never get to contribute to the fight before their untimely demise.

3. Become more decisive on the counter attack. I actually do fairly well with coming up with a battle plan based on the victory conditions and stick with it even after contact is made (while letting the actual contact dictate to a degree how I modify said battle plan). As they say in the UFC...every fighter has a game plan until he gets punched. But I need to become more intuitive/decisive when kicking off a counter attack. Make the calculation, set the objective, identify the assets available and then putting it into effective action.

4. Be way more patient in manuever and cautious in choosing movement paths. Most of these scenarios have plenty of turns. I would venture to say that a player could use up to 60% of the game turns in manuever and 40% in the attack and be fine (probably even more than 60%). Using the available cover, "pathing" with extreme caution when manuevering units, and trying to remain otherwise undetected until at a time and place of your own choosing is as vital in this game as in real life. I am playing a game of Rising Sun (Race to Minywa <sp> ) atm as the Japanese. I actually suprised my opponent with a flanking move on his right and caught him off-guard. It was nice to hear him say "I wasn't expecting that". The only way I pulled it off was by applying exactly what I have just stated. The battle is deadlocked in a viscious hand to hand fight at the moment but my flank assault has kept me in the game.

I am sure that my list of things to improve is much longer but this is the main stuff. Oh wait...one more.

5. Play opponents that are better than yourself and play them often. You can't help but to learn from your defeats. Not to mention that most all of the very good players here have always been more than willing to give me advice (as well as a good thrashing in the process) on ways to improve my gameplay.
04-18-2008, 08:00 AM,
Mike....add a leader to your assault. Any leader. An assault will suceed unless all attackers are destroyed or disrupted.

When was the last time you saw a disrupted leader?

Regards
Ivan
04-18-2008, 03:51 PM,
I need so much improvement it's almost uncomprehensible. I am serious-I don't know where to begin. Hahaha.

But seriously folks, My attacks are horrible, I think I need to do more pathing and more adequate recon.
"And the world did gaze, in deep amaze, at those stout-hearted men, but few,
Who bore the fight that freedom's light might shine through the foggy dew"
-Peadar Kearney, "The Foggy Dew"

04-18-2008, 10:56 PM,
McIvan Wrote:Mike....add a leader to your assault. Any leader. An assault will suceed unless all attackers are destroyed or disrupted.

When was the last time you saw a disrupted leader?

Regards
Ivan

D'oh, I never really considered it that way. I knew a leader helps by modifying the attack strengths of the assaulters, but never considered the "undisruptable" thing before. :bow:

You learn something new every day.
04-19-2008, 11:45 AM,
I spose I should clarify, before someone tries it and hates me forever, that I mean an assault will suceed against disrupted enemy troops unless all attackers are destroyed or disrupted.....

You're welcome btw Mike. There's lots of game mechanics oddities out there.
04-20-2008, 01:55 PM,
I guess I need to learn the nuances of:

(1) (2)
(3)

two up one back