• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Terrain Cover Values
04-12-2008, 06:36 AM,
RE: Terrain Cover Values
Der Kuenstler Wrote:And Peek - it was "open ground" I was wondering about - since it contains grass and is not totally level. The list taped to my monitor (lol) says "open ground" is 75% exposure, dirt roads are 90%, and paved roads are 100%. I thought pavement and paved roads would be the same - maybe not?

see my edited post above. The figures you just described are CMBB values. apparently they changed for cmak - which i find strange.
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2008, 06:50 AM,
I did another test, open ground is indeed 75%. Dirt roads and paved roads were as you said, 90% and 100% respectevely. So pavement and paved roads aren't the same thing. Presumably pavements contain some clutter that can be used as cover?

[Image: pavement2-1.jpg]
04-12-2008, 07:04 AM,
Wow, things you learn. I never imagined a difference between "pavement" and "paved roads"
04-12-2008, 07:53 AM,
hmmf...go figure...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
05-17-2008, 05:40 AM,
Does mortar fire affect the values?
05-17-2008, 09:05 AM,
Do you want to know if mortar fire is any more/less effective on pavement as compared to other terrain?
05-20-2008, 03:24 AM,
I think that the mortar fire negates some cover, such as walls and trenches, and is actually more effective against infantry in trees. It would also be more effective against troops on pavement but less so against marsh or sand terrain.
05-20-2008, 04:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2008, 04:40 AM by Colonel Talvela.)
Coil did some good tests about mortar fire and terrain about a year ago.
05-20-2008, 06:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2008, 01:51 PM by The Coil.)
Yeah - and as I recall, CT, you were a little snooty to me in that thread :P

(Although to be fair, you did give me my first cl...er...umm...posting encouragement award in that thread. Enabler...)

Anyway, the basic conclusion, IIRC, was that mortar v. unit in open, brush, scattered trees, or woods, is going to have about the same effect. At the time, my conclusion was "there is no treeburst effect". I think now I'd revise it to "treebursts do more damage, but groundbursts in the woods do less damage because of cover than groundbursts in the open, so the effect of a few treebursts in the woods and a bunch of groundbursts ends up being about equal to the effect of all groundbursts in the open".

Against guns, mortars did KO vs. units in trees a lot quicker, however...
05-20-2008, 01:13 PM,
Yes, that started the clickie movement. One clickie and you were hooked.