• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FOF loaded!
04-08-2008, 08:27 AM,
Thumbs_Up  FOF loaded!
Guys,
Thanks to Steel God FOF is now on the ACW titles list, so any PBEM games can be reported! :)

As none of the officers has this title we cannot add the scenario details, is anybody who owns the title willing to do this?

There is 1 ladder point per scenario entered on offer.

Or you can just add the data for the scenario as you complete it. :chin:
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2008, 11:45 AM,
RE: FOF loaded!
Stand by....I've pulled this game until Thunder has a chance to make a determination that it will fit into the scoring system on the Ladder.

Apologies for jumping the gun.
04-08-2008, 09:46 PM,
HiHi

Here you go.

5 Scenarios;

Standard campaign
Small setup
Southern Steel (November 1861)
The Coming Fury (July 1861)
The Coming Fury (July 1861, Balanced Econ.)

The game is turn based, 2 per month, eg Early July, Late July, so I assume the July games could run 128 turns (check my maths; there is however a 'No time Limit' option)

Victory is is by gaining 24 Victory points (the VPs alter during the game depending on whats happening, eg succesful blockade, victory in battle, capture of a city etc), or when one player has 32 VPs more than the other side. (eg Feds -22 VP, Rebs 10 VP).

There is a replay feature, (seperate file)

Errr, Ummm, not sure what else Thunder needs so please let me know and I will try and fill in the Blanks.

All the best
Peter
04-08-2008, 10:22 PM,
HiHi

PS if it helps and the MB can take it I could post a Screen Print of the Setup, let me know.

Now then about this " As none of the officers has this title ".

WHAAAAT!!! :jaw: , you Chaps dunno what you are missing :pullhair: go out and get it imediately Whip

Seriously, it really is an excellant game, pricey but worth it if you are prepared to put in the effort, the AI is good, altering both Stratergy & Tactics as the game progresses, you can Micro-manage as much as you wish, and the 3D (also has 2D) animated 'Detailed Battle' is exceptional, what with the speed of events (can be altered), and such features as smoke obscuring parts of the battlefield it goes quite some way to createing how it must have been for Civil War Generals.

While the Graphics ain't (IMHO) on a par with JTs Battleground stuff (I don't think we will ever get that again) FoF incorperates most of the features we all wanted with BG eg coloum to line, forced marches, Cav that can see as it moves, a wider range of Close tactical manovour etc.etc.

Being fond of Conspiracy theories I reckon when Matrix aquired the Talonsoft rights and asked for feedback from gamers on improvements, they simply passed them on to the FoF guys for their newest patch :whis: but then again what do I know.

I really would strongly reccomend this game to anyone up for a challenge at both Strategic & Tactical levels, the only real bummer is that in the PBEM game you can't play the Detailed battle (due to inititive/Time factors) but the Quick battle used does very much depend on how you have handled such things as supply, Generals, Bgd attributes (skills) etc.

... and No, the FoF guys ain't paying me to say this :)

All the Best
Peter
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM,
Steel God Wrote:Stand by....I've pulled this game until Thunder has a chance to make a determination that it will fit into the scoring system on the Ladder.

This is an excellent game. I've just started a PBEM game of this and would like to see the club support it.

For those that have played Victory Games Civil War you'll feel right at home.

The detail in this game is amazing.

Good Hunting.

MR
04-10-2008, 12:56 AM,
Mad Russian Wrote:
Steel God Wrote:Stand by....I've pulled this game until Thunder has a chance to make a determination that it will fit into the scoring system on the Ladder.

This is an excellent game. I've just started a PBEM game of this and would like to see the club support it.

For those that have played Victory Games Civil War you'll feel right at home.

The detail in this game is amazing.

Good Hunting.

MR
Well i loved Victory Games Civil War, so maybe i should give this a look?

Does the fact that you can only play PBEM at the Strategic level (as VG Civil War was) detract from the game as a whole??
04-22-2008, 10:04 PM,
Only play PBEM? You can play against the computer in all levels. There is no way I see to play this TCP. The turns take about an hour.

You have a lot to do!!! Fighting is about the least of it.

You have to deal with the Europeans, build infrastructure, manage the technology, upgrade your troops weapons, set their supply levels, deal with the states governors, do troop call ups from the states, nicely or otherwise, build military units, promote or demote generals, move and fight.

I use the instant battle resolution. At this level I"m not the general in charge so I let the computer do that,

It's all here and then some.

Good Hunting.

MR
04-28-2008, 06:52 PM,
Any news on if and when this great game will become part of the Blitz ladder system? I'm still playing the computer, but the day will come in the not too distant future when I'll want to step up and challenge on PBEM.

There aren't that many scenarios, so grading them for ladder points shouldn't be too much of a chore.

Cheers

Alasdair
04-28-2008, 11:14 PM,
Have you made a decision on this?
04-29-2008, 02:30 AM,
HiHi

Given that it’s now 3 weeks since I first raised the issue of ‘Forge of Freedom’ being taken on board by the Blitz ACW ladder and posted some details that I thought might be helpful, including the Scenario list (there are only 5), and asked what other info was needed. I am now left wondering if this has been left to (hopefully) just quietly go away.

Now the next bit is slightly tongue in cheek, but as stated elsewhere, I am fond of conspiracy theories and I wonder if the lack of further response (ie after Foul & SG’s initial help) by Blitz GHQ staff is because they don’t wish to upset the seeming ‘HSP/BG Games’ franchise (FoF being a GWS product).

If so can I suggest that it may be a bit short-sighted; FoF is an award winning game that is extremely popular at the moment (see the Matrix FoF forum), Blitz has already lost potential new members to other clubs that have taken the game on board, and any club, the Blitz included, needs new members lest it stagnates and general apathy sets in (I’ve seen that happen at Chess clubs)

Now, looking to the future, as I understand it, GWS is going to move the FoF game engine over to a re-vamped 'Crown of Glory' (already a highly popular game), which given FoF's awards is going to be a big seller as well. Now then, if Blitz had FoF on board with all the scoring wrinkles ironed out come the release of the upgraded CoG then we could probably gain a whole new bunch of members for the Napoleonic ladder, be in there first as it were with a recruiting drive.

Of course I may just be being over anxious and there is work going on behind the scenes to get FoF installed, in which case, my sincere apologies, alternatively, if the answer is to be a big “No” than let us all know, we can go sulk, hurtle abuse at passing Cats, bury Moles alive or whatever, I personally feel that would be a real shame, but then I’ve played the game and have a vested interest.

I hope you guys at GHQ take the above in the spirit it was indented, ie no more than a gentle ‘Prod’; while as stated I have a vested interest, I am also trying to look at the overall member interest and general health of recruitment into the Blitz.

All the Best
Peter (The other Kingmaker)