• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Winzip
04-04-2008, 04:40 AM,
Off Topic  Winzip
Has anyone here ever paid for Winzip. Ive been using it probably for 8 years and never paid for it but now it has stopped working. Ive tried downloading the free version and it wont work either. Is there any way around paying $29 for it or should i pay the man.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2008, 05:42 AM,
RE: Winzip
There is an alternative:

http://www.7-zip.org/
Send this user an email
04-04-2008, 09:33 AM,
Why not just use what comes with XP (and Vista).
Just select the file, then Right Click => Send to => Compressed File.

It makes a zip which can be read by wnzip at the other end or smply comressed files using XP.

It doesn't have a lot of features and the worse thing with it that I find is when you zip a bunch of files and the ZIP name has been used before, than the new zip may contain the old files. But for BTE files it should work nicely.

Glenn
Send this user an email
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Why not just use what comes with XP (and Vista).
Just select the file, then Right Click => Send to => Compressed File.

It makes a zip which can be read by wnzip at the other end or smply comressed files using XP.

It doesn't have a lot of features and the worse thing with it that I find is when you zip a bunch of files and the ZIP name has been used before, than the new zip may contain the old files. But for BTE files it should work nicely.

Glenn

Having come to PC's very late in life i have only ever had XP and i have never needed winzip because of the built in feature Glenn has highlighted...:chin:
04-05-2008, 01:16 AM,
Thanks, ill have to check on the compressed XP but if my memory is still intake i believe when u use it to compress the .oob,.pdt and .scn it never uncompresses correctly. Ill check it out tomorrrow. First weekend off and home in 2 months.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
04-05-2008, 05:50 AM,
I have been using the compressed file feature to send hundreds of bte,scn,oob and pdt files for well over a year and in that time i have had trouble twice with corrupted files :)

Thats good enough for me! Big Grin
04-06-2008, 02:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2008, 02:14 AM by Dirk Gross.)
Different file formats are the biggest issue for me. I switched from Winzip to Winace because it could do .rar files that are common now. Unfortunately, it seems they stopped supporting Winace because it doesn't work with the right-click menu in Vista. So, I switched to Winrar now. I paid the $30 at the end of trial period so I can't tell you what happens beyond 30 days.
04-06-2008, 03:16 AM,
http://www.7-zip.org/ <= it's free and it can read Rar zip etc... format...

So I think it's a good deal ;)
Send this user an email