• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

M4 & M4A3 Shermans with 17pdr's in U.S. Service
03-28-2008, 01:28 AM,
RE: M4 & M4A3 Shermans with 17pdr's in U.S. Service
Hi Jorge,

What I have in mind when I suggest we add a new unit type to the game, Is only after I've done a fair amount of research that would suggest we could look into adding the new unit. I do this to simply improve the fun factor and options for the gamers. It's true those US M4 and M4A3 17 Pounder tanks saw extremely limited use if any. I say if any becouse I have only found 1 single combat action report that mentions one of those 17pdr tanks getting into the action.

Providing our gamers with new unit types with different capabilities can only improve the game IMO. It might even move some/more players to design some scenarios around them or just with them in it becouse of the fun factor. Seeing something motoring around the map you haven't yet used or seen can in itself provide some degree of fun. As great a job the original Talonsoft crew did in designing the game. They did in fact leave out alot of stuff/units that several other present games allready have. It is certainly easy after the fact to follow up as we are and see what we can do to improve the game. And that's what's so fun about it. We as the gamers and fans of the game actually have an opportunity to do just that.

Having US M4 17 Pounder tanks in the US OOB, Doesn't mean I think they should be motoring around the maps with a 5 strength point unit either. Something like a 2 strength point maximum. Even a 2 strength point M4 17 Pounder unit would provide some significant pop against hard targets. Remembing that our present UK Firefly's are in mixed platoons with other lesser armed Shermans. IMO the US M4 17 Pounder should/would be in it's own stand alone 2 strength point platoon and would have hard target hitting values greater than standard UK Sherman/Firefly mixed platoons but lesser than U.K. Achilles TD platoons. Simple logic there. I doubt the Brits would have supplied those American conversions with very much of the souped up SVDS ammunition like they did with their own TD units.

Eric
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2008, 10:03 AM,
Eric,

Have you been to this site: http://freespace.virgin.net/shermanic.fi...usnew.html

I briefly read through it and it adds some info.

Ed
03-28-2008, 03:20 PM,
Hi Ed,

Yeh I've got that one source allready. But thanks!

Here's a few others: http://755thtank.com/porivercamp.html
http://home.pacbell.net/herb_f/porivercamp.html

The 1st & 2nd source states between 19 and 22 April 1945. The 755th Tank Battalion drew fifteen (15) 17 pounder M4 Tanks. Seventeen (17) M4A3's and Seventeen (17) M4's. divided between companies A,B and C. Company D was equiped with seventeen (17) M24 Light Tanks. Now that's a one third representation of 17 pounder equiped M4's in that U.S. Armored battalion. Pretty decent representation IMO.

The second source talking about the same unit. States that on 27 April 1945, One of those 17 pounder M4's got in on the action.

Eric