• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question about STACKING RULES
03-23-2008, 02:13 AM,
Question about STACKING RULES
Could someone kindly clarify the rules about stacking/overstacking?

I believe you do incur a fire penalty if you have more than 12SPs in any one hex at one time. Could you explain the penalty?

Also I believe friendly units will retreat into a hex with 12sps, but not 13, correct?

I searched our forum as well as the gamesquad site, but must have missed it.

THANKS!

Jack
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2008, 08:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM by Cole.)
RE: Question about STACKING RULES
Fire Target Density Value: If the total SP in the target hex exceeds 12, 12 is then subtracted from that number to arrive at an Excess Density Value. This value is then multiplied by .08 (8%) and by the SP of the firing unit (fractions rounded up) resulting in a density bonus. This density bonus is added to the nominal SP of the firing unit.

Can't find anything in the rules but I'm almost 100% sure I've had units retreat into hexes with over 13 SPs. They don't retreat if it results in overstacking.

Don't forget that 6 SPs or more of wrecks in a hex block LOS along with 13 or more SPs of other units along with the over 12 SP penalty on a road hex (any unit moving that will bring the hex total over 12 SPs does not get the benefits of the road).
03-23-2008, 09:10 AM,
Thank you Cole!

How many units can be in the hex so a unit can still retreat into it? Say I am advancing and anticipate encountering a enemy. I want to allow enough room to have an unit retreat if fired upon, instead of stacking the adjacent hexes so there is no room to retreat into it.

Also I know this works when you assault a disrupted group & the adjacent enemy hexes have so many SPs in them that the retreating units are just captured.

Thanks guys.

Jack
03-23-2008, 12:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM by Cole.)
I believe 24 SPs are the maximum allowed in a hex (SP's that are loaded in vehicles do not count).

Units are captured during a close assault if the only escape hexes are filled with too many SPs. If a unit comes under direct fire and receives a retreat result and cannot they lose SPs instead.
03-23-2008, 04:38 PM,
Just thought I'd add that the maximum number of wrecks per hex is 18. If you destroy 20 sp's of armor in a hex for example, there will be 18 wrecks in the hex. If an armored halftrack with 6 sp's later moves into that hex and is destroyed, there will still be 18 wreck counters in the hex.

And Cole is right - if the combat results call for a retreat and the unit cannot, it will instead take an extra casualty. So be sure to avoid those shallows and keep your units off bridges!

Cole is also right about captures with regard to overstacking - if the units cannot retreat because the hexes around it are overstacked with friendly units, the assaulted hex's units will be captured if the unit assaults successfully (they have nowhere to go).

And the max. number of sp's per hex is 24, but there's rarely a reason to have more than 12 in a hex, and quite often less.

:)
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
03-24-2008, 12:17 PM,
b_Exclamation Mark  RE: Question about STACKING RULES
Hi,

mhhhh,would be nice this make his way in the next Updated Manual ;)
Never know from the "Fire Target Density Value" and the max amount of 24SP.
[the other limits i know]

R-TEAM
03-25-2008, 08:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM by McIvan.)
Please note that the max amount of SPs when retreating means SP's already in the hex PLUS your retreating forces.

So your 6 SP infantry platoon will not retreat into a hex with 19 SP/wrecks already in it.

Quote:And Cole is right - if the combat results call for a retreat and the unit cannot, it will instead take an extra casualty. So be sure to avoid those shallows and keep your units off bridges!

....and be careful when placing them next to rivers, cliffs, AND, oft forgotten, minefields.