• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MC: Tanks using Snorkels
03-27-2008, 07:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2008, 07:21 AM by Al.)
RE: MC: Tanks using Snorkels
CptCav Wrote:
Al Wrote:I never heard of that; that is I didn't know that the M60A1/A3 even had the "snorkel" equipment manufactured. I'll have to look that up in my references.

You know what, I think that I am thinking of the fording kit. I guess "old-timers" is getting to me. Although, I don't know why, but I seem to recall a tower that went over the commander's cupola. I don't recall how it fitted over it though.

Regards,
CptCav

I looked in the only real reference book I have on the M60 (One of Osprey's New Vanguard series, #85) & it refers to "deep water fording kits" although the equipment itself is referred to as a snorkel. Understandably, the Marines used this kit most. The tower you refer to resembled 55-gallon drums welded together & fit over the commander's cupola. As you can imagine, the whole setup proved to be a pain to use & never was used much, if at all in service. Hope this info jogs your "old-timers" memory a bit. :)
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2008, 07:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2008, 07:55 AM by JonS1.)
Glenn Saunders Wrote:1) Which editions have DD other than Normandy?
To be honest, I don't know. But it's quite possible that the flag in the OoB was carried forward into MG44 and B44, and any prospective NWE and Italy modules.

Incidentally, from the N44 patch release notes:
Quote:Changes for Normandy '44 1.01
- Fix for bug that prevented Amphibious units from crossing Rivers and Canals.
Were there any other PzC modules out when N44 went to ver 1.01?

Glenn Saunders Wrote:2) I don't know *if* DD tanks need this flag ON to perform the D-Day Task.
I'm pretty sure they don't - most N44 scens just dump them directly onto the beaches at 0600, like all the other Allied units.

Quote:But if they don't and if the flag is on by default than I agree it should probably be off. I do agree with you that DD tanks shouldn't have amphibious ability once they come ashore. That said I don't think anyone has ever sent me a file where this flag came into play. If you have an example BTE or something where someone has used this or where the AI has used the ability to take advance of the human (or the other way around) than I'd love to see the file.

I'm sure I don't have a file. It's probably the kind of thing that would be quite easy to overlook if it were to occur, and most human players probably wouldn't even think to try it. Also, since no one has mentioned it, I guess it ain't a big deal :)

Volcano Man Wrote:I was not aware that any DD tanks in PzC had the amphibious flag but I see now that N44 has always had it since v1.0. I guess I never noticed it before but ... as soon as the DD tanks landed this clumsy equipment was removed and they were not special river crossing tanks able to say, cross the Orne later on.
Exactly, but that seems to have been the intent of the 1.01 patch :)

Regards
Jon
03-29-2008, 10:29 AM,
The British and Cdn component "Sherman V (DD)" has now been ammended in the OOB that will go in the next patch where the DD Tanks do not have amphibious capablities.

I couldn't find any US DD components in N44. If you (or anyone else) find one please send me a BTL file and a hex to look in so I can ID the exact component. Also - if there are any DD tanks in other games that shouldn't be amphibious, just let me know and I'll be hapy to look into it.

Glenn
Send this user an email
03-29-2008, 12:12 PM,
Yes, it looks to be isolated to those units and I can't find any other DD units in any other titles other than N44.
Send this user an email
04-03-2008, 02:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2008, 02:43 AM by Al.)
This topic inspired me to check around my references for amphibious tanks. The only one I could think of was the Soviet T-37. As far as I can tell, the only game this appears in is Smolensk '41. A check of the unit itself shows that it is not tagged amphibious although it probably, IMO, should be. This tank was produced in some numbers & was also put through extensive amphibious testing so it was not one of those tanks that technically was capable but not used it's amphibious capabilities. Admittedly, this is probably a minor issue since the tank wasn't a huge threat but in the interests of accuracy I believe a change is in order for possibly the next update.

For those interested my source for this information on the T-37 comes from "Soviet Tanks & Combat Vehicles of WW2" by S. Zaloga & J. Grandsen.
04-03-2008, 06:09 AM,
Scrolling forward to the '80's again, M113 APCs were/are amphib, AFAIK.