• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Pimsleur language courses question
03-17-2008, 03:22 PM,
Off Topic  Pimsleur language courses question
Has anyone used any of the Pimsleur comprehensive language courses? My church is planning a missions trip to Russia in about a year from now, and was going to try to improve my very limited Russian before I get there. I know that nothing beats total immersion but I live in a smaller town filled with Dutchmen, not a Russian to be had. Was just wondering what might be out there that works, at least giving me the ability to говорите на русский a little better then i do now, so I have a chance to get by without an interpreter. Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2008, 11:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2008, 02:12 PM by von Nev.)
RE: Pimsleur language courses question
Hi Ratzki,

I don't know about the Pimsleur language courses but I went to Russia (Volgograd & Moscow) last August. I did not have time to study up on Russian and instead got a Berlitz Russian/English book. I have to admit, it was a VERY difficult in Russia not knowing Russian and trying to use the book. Luckily we had a very good Russian/English translater. He was indispensible. Russian sounds very little like English or German, which is the other language I know pretty good, so it was impossible to even understand the basics. :hissy:

Whatever you do, I fully recommend aggressively learning as much Russian as possible before you go.

Despite the language issue, it was a trip of a lifetime! Russia is an incredible country! I would go back in a second.

Good luck,

Marty
03-18-2008, 03:58 PM,
RE: Pimsleur language courses question
Thanks for the little heads up, I have been getting Russian lessons from a Polish friend of mine. He says he knows just enough Russian to be dangerous but we have a good laugh as I am learning the language with a Canadian/Polish accent, should be able to confuse the natives with that. I barely have English under my belt. Then my wife chimes in every now and then and gives a few Russian words a try with her Trinidadian accent.... I think that I don't stand a chance.:conf:
I have a year to get it together before i go, would like to be able to chat away somewhat.