• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question on Caves
03-15-2008, 04:20 AM,
Question on Caves
Allright you game design types...there seems to be a lack of info on caves.

1. What do they do (if anything besides the obvious advantage to defense)?

2. Can you move between them if they are separated by more than one hex?

3. Can they be "caved in" or sealed off with any sort of heavy/special weapons?

Whatever info that can be provided is great. The manual and help files either don't really address this or I just am missing it.
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2008, 05:25 AM,
RE: Question on Caves
Hey Riley,

Here is what I could find directly from the manual!

Caves are a specialized type of fortification. Cave effects only apply to non-Vehicle units of the owning side. When a Cave hex is occupied by the opposing side, it has no affect on those units. The Cave effects are:
• Non-Vehicle units of the owning side in a Cave hex are not affected by fire from Indirect Fire units.
• Non-Vehicle units of the owning side in a Cave hex are not subject to retreat if they lose an assault.
• Non-Vehicle units of the owning side in a Cave hex get the same protection as that of Pillbox hexes.

Fortification Facing
By default, Bunkers, Pillboxes, and Cave hexes have no specified facing and their effects apply equally in all directions (However, see Cave Facing below). It is possible using the Scenario Editor to assign a specific Facing to a Bunker, Pillbox, or Cave hex. The Facing direction and its two adjacent directions are known as the Covered Arc of the fortification. The following effects occur for non-Vehicle units in Bunkers and Pillboxes or units that benefit from a Cave:
• An affected unit in the hex is prevented from firing outside of the Covered Arc.
• When an affected unit in a fortification hex is fired upon from a direction outside of the Covered Arc, then the protection value of the fortification is doubled.
• When the hex is a Cave and an affected unit is fired upon outside of the Covered Arc from a distance greater than one, then the firing has no effect on the affected unit.

Cave Facing
When a Cave hex does not have a facing, then default Cave Facing effects apply as described in this section. When units that benefit from a Cave attempt to fire such that the fire crosses an adjacent hex of higher elevation, then the fire is blocked. This represents that the Cave prevents the units from firing behind their position.
Likewise, when units fire from a location at a range greater than 1 where the fire crosses a higher hex before entering a hex containing a Cave, the fire has no effect on units that benefit from the Cave. Units in a higher adjacent hex can fire normally at units in hexes containing Caves.

Under certain circumstances, it is possible for units to move directly from one Cave or Sewer hex to another. The two Cave or Sewer hexes must be owned by the moving side. The destination hex must not be occupied by the enemy and the movement must not cause overstacking in the destination hex. Vehicles cannot use Tunnel Movement. Pinned units can use Tunnel Movement, but become Demoralized.
The movement cost for Tunnel Movement is the Tunnel Move Cost Parameter Data value times the distance in hexes between the starting and destination hexes. If the moving unit does not have enough movement points to complete the Tunnel Movement in a single turn, then it is not allowed.
NOTE: if the Tunnel Move Cost Parameter Data value is zero, then no Tunnel Movement is possible in the current scenario. This is indicated in the Terrain Box by the notation NT following the Cave designation.
To perform Tunnel Movement, select the units to move and right-click on the destination hex. The movement will occur between the two hexes if it is possible, otherwise an error message will be displayed. Tunnel Movement is not used when you move units using Drag-and-Drop.
03-15-2008, 06:35 AM,
Awesome info. How did I miss all that in the book?

Anyway...thanks.

Smitty
03-15-2008, 07:07 AM,
I'm not 100% certain, but I do not think you can destroy (cave-in) a cave.
03-16-2008, 01:08 AM,
Great info!!!

Dazooz, can you let me know exactly where you found this info. It answered all my questions that i have looked for for awhile. here is what i usually do to find info in game. i go to help, user manual and select the search for cave or caves. none of this info comes up. What am i doing wrong???

Thanks
James
Easy,,,,, Just dont leed em as much,,,,War is hell!!!!!!
03-17-2008, 08:10 AM,
Actually, I just opened up the Manual from the PDF startup file. Part of this is under the Movement heading (just past the vehicle section - look for tunnel movement), and the rest is under the Fortifications section!